Nogripracing.com gone?

.... It's really not that hard to stay on board if you really want to: just don't break their rules.

Quite true ...if the rules are explicitly stated. But on some sites they are so nebulous that it is virtually whatever any moderator feels at the time.

Some years ago I tired so of NoGrip's antics that I pulled all my files from their libraries, deleted all my posts, and left. Drifted back a couple of years later but not as active as previously.

I agree a major attraction of NoGrip was their well organized download library plus the fact they hosted all those files.

As opposed to those sites where, from the time you click the alleged "download" button until you are actually downloading a file, you have opened four more tabs, solved a capcha, typed the five characters in the space below, waited 15 seconds and clicked the yellow arrow, and "your download will be ready in 60 seconds" (and/or, even more egregious, you notice that 120meg file is downloading at 35k/sec unless you want to subscribe to the hosting site).

It will be a shame if those libraries are lost, and permissions to upload elsewhere will be difficult to impossible for some files; some modders have passed away, others have left the community over the years. I have long lobbied for an "abandonware" style attitude towards such files - make them available in their original form with all original documentation, noted that they are available without explicit permission, and a note for the creators that they will be immediately removed if requested (just voicing an opinion, this is not the place for another debate on a contentious topic).

What I would hate to see lost is the real photo and screenshot archives as good as anywhere
Mods can largely be replaced

Personally I see NoGrip more the way to run a site rather then not

Best thing I will take away in last year or so there was no animosity, no antagonizing between different sims, mostly everything was friendly debate

Future tense, have not given up yet p

No they won't because they don't care. -___- If they care than they would have their Facebook page, Twitter or something like they used to so that they can inform people about this but no, they don't care -___-

I just wish they'd post something on another site or send a mass email out to inform us whats going on.

Most, if not all, the NG moderators are active on other race sim sites, though I know not what names they use. I'm surprised we've not heard from them; though whatever happened may have been at a higher level and they are as much in the dark as the rest of us.

Perhaps there are modders who puts eggs in one basket. Maybe I just haven't met one yet...

...uploading and announcing to the places with most exposure and highest ethics for the game title in question ....

....Modders can't know every odd place out there......

In various games I have known modders who, for their own reasons, did not want their mods on certain sites (sites which charge in any way are a common culprit). But I've never understood those who would only upload their files to one particular, often obscure, site, even resisting suggestions that they upload to larger, more active sites. Not too long ago on NoGrip someone complained they were discouraged from continuing working on mods because their last one only had about 30 downloads ...but that mod was only available on one relatively small, French language only, sim site; comments that they would get that many downloads in one day on NoGrip elicited no response.

All these mods definitely need more than one repository so they aren't lost in situations such as RSC or (hopefully not) NoGrip. But, sadly, there aren't many large race sim sites remaining; most are niche sites catering to one sim or, in the case of N2k3, just one mod.

Sad to See the NGR has gone. Hopefully not forever, as I had a lot of stuff saved from that site but missing a few bits. Luckily I have the majority of my old stuff saved and accessable so will be uploading it here over the next few weeks

There should be an internet search and rescue organisation dedicated to rescuing data from downed websites and finding out why they are down.

The only info that is know is from this post
This is as an official response as you're likely to get for now.

Where did it go? - The server contract expired.
Will it come back? - If the owner sorts out a new host and so on. There's a full backup of the data as of when it went offline stored in a safe place, so its not impossible.
How do I know this? - because I'm running servers and things.

please dont PM me about this, I dont want anything more to do with it
Whether we get more info who knows, sad when a long running site like it goes down but atm that's it.

There should be an internet search and rescue organisation dedicated to rescuing data from downed websites and finding out why they are down.
Actually, what's coming up in the next 5-10 years is the distributed web, probably built on top of blockchain, and that should help make an easier to manage, more permanent web, providing there are nodes (people) who want to keep a particular resource available.

I've experienced my share of content and data loss, too, that I wish never disappeared. Bittorrent is one solution for distributed file hosting and we'll see what happens with a distributed web in a few years.

Here's hoping!

Hey guys
I am brand new I actually became aware of this site because I did a Google search for nogrip racing.com to see if it had come back and the first thing you see in the Google search is this forum. I had only been a member of no grip for two or three weeks but I downloaded some pretty cool tracks including LeMans which is what I’ve always wanted. Then as you all have discovered, it vanished. I’m somewhat new to race car simulating. I’ve done a lot of flight siming. Right now I’m using FIA GTR 2 because that’s about all my graphics card can handle right now but I love it nonetheless.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back