New to Automobilista 2 - CART/IndyCar resources...

Ya, I really wonder what will get the dog to bite. The game is solid I just dont get why drivers are not coming over. My guess is that learning a new sim is hard and once you sink the time into learning a sim it is a big choice to make the switch. You also have to consider this, ACC gets 3k a day, PC2 around 1k, Rfactor and Race Room around 500, and original AC has around 5 or 6k at peak, that is nothing compared to almost any other game. Sim racing has more titles than it does racers and it is just hard to squeeze any more water from those rocks. Also unlike other games, a sim might be around for decades. It just really seems that someone who pays atleast 10 dollars a month would jump on the AMS2 train. Of course, the pay wall keeps most of the toxic drivers out and the people who are into iracing are mostly adult men who will happily pay 10 bucks to have a troll free race experience. That is why toxic drivers are such a problem to a title. Mark my words though, in the next few years a VR headset will be available for a reasonable price and one lucky title will become as big as battlefield. Of course that also means we should enjoy sim racing while we can before that happens.

The bugs make no sense to me. Its like the game pics up more and more with every update and them adding a car or something should have zero effect on it...BUT..damn if it dont. I really would not mind hearing hey we are going to spend a month or two or the rest of the year to sort out the bugs and balance the cars. It is getting a bit silly and I am as big a cheerleader as you get but you cant have the game kicking you and stopping working the way it does. And really, the cars have come a long way this year but before the new year i had never had a race drop me or not progress and now that happens too often.

One of the worst sign of the lack of Reizas seriousness is that a lot of "solved" bugs does return more or less mandatory after an update.
An example is the graphical damage in TT mode.
From day one even severe damage like loss of wheels after a crash isnt repared even if you by restarting session enter the garage.
To get it "repaired" you have to completely exit TT mode and out from the basic AMS2 menu start a new TT session up.
This issue have been "solved" by some of the patches - but..
But have allways(!) returned after next update.:sleep:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Im so tired of all the goofy excuses by fans.. like Ohh Reiza is such a poor little team.
Nonsense! Because when such a BUG does return again and again then it is a sure sign of lack of seriousness. Even from a poor little team.:rolleyes:

1-wheel-gen2.jpg

Another example of Reizas lack of seriousness is the mandatory return of the gearshift/limiter sound bug mentioned in this quote.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Hehe but the quote does also point to the short memory at the controlling fans in the Reiza forum - because I have several times explained how to completely sidestep this bug - without any negative side effects.:roflmao:

"F-Reiza Shifting Sound Bug
we found a terribly annoying bug with the car mentioned in the title.

Whenever the player OR the AI shifts up or down, and you spectate or follow the car from outside view, the shifting sound becomes terribly loud. Whenever we finish a race we have to listen to this until we return to the lobby. Here is a video about it:"

soundBug returned.jpg

My understanding is that Reiza is a small team and they do usually sort everything out about 10 days before the next update. Really, most of the stuff I can over look but things that crash the game or kick you out should not be happening. AMS2 is like a bad girl friend. You know shes going to hurt you again but she is just too muck fun to let go.

I have never play rF2. I was going to pick it up at the last steam sale but in honesty I have AC, PC2 and Dirt Rally 2.0 and AMS2 of course. I really dont have the time to invest in a game like DR2.0 so any new sims are off of the table until something comes on the market that brings something new. I think it is funny how picky sim drivers are about the games when in reality all of them are very close in how they approach sim racing.

I have never play rF2. I was going to pick it up at the last steam sale but in honesty () I really dont have the time to invest in () any new sims () until something comes on the market that brings something new.
Hehe then dont bother with rF2.
Im an old rF2´er from the time before the rF2-Steam alliance cluttered the simple rF2 pre-Steam install up.
Eventhugh I succeded transfering rF2 to Steam then after a while the rather complicated install (GB of redundant files) began to crash several times.
And every time deleted/cluttered up the internal content of urgent controlling json/ini files.:rolleyes:

So after several reinstalls I gave up and cleaned my HD of any trace of this file and install monstrosity.
Its my honest oppinion that eventhough the behaviour of some of the best cars in rF2 is pretty believeable then its not on a higher level than the best cars in AMS2.
And maybe also the best in AC and Raceroom.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: "best" is used here "= personal prefered cars".

Last edited:
Ya, I really wonder what will get the dog to bite.

My belief has been that the current sim environment is one where users are constantly given half-baked products. Nothing is ever finished. I don't watch a TV show before its edited. I don't start a book before its been proofread, and I don't want to commit all my sim racing time to something that provides 1/2 an experience. To iRacing's credit (what little I give it), their goal was to make a robust multiplayer experience with ranked championships, and they delivered. Sure, they're still improving the cars and adding cars, but they gave you what they promised when it was released. And I don't remember a protracted Early Access/Beta period, personally.

rF2 still doesn't have seasons, let alone a career. AMS2 didn't have championships at release. Look at AMS2's Racing USA strategy. Do I buy pt1? Wait till pt2? Why not just wait until part 3 comes out? There's always something to wait for before buying or committing your time. Unless a league you know starts using it, what makes you come back after sampling the latest, hot DLC?!

rFactor 1 succeeded mainly because it was a modder's paradise. But at least it shipped with a basic career mode. It was released in a complete state. We did get more content after, but it was all FREE too. Now rF2 can't do a career mode because they have relied too much on mod content and high-priced DLC. There wouldn't be enough cars/tracks.

For AMS2, I truly believe they should have attacked this so much differently. Right now they have about 70 classes of cars. At release, it was probably closer to 50. And at least 30-40 of those we all already sampled in AMS1. They should not have wasted their time with most of those. Had they focused on their 30 best or most interesting classes (and the '79 Opala would NOT be on this list), they could have had better cars. And they could have put some effort into an experience, something that says "hey look, we've released a game/sim!" Then spend some effort cultivating the community. Instead it was "hey look, we've been working on this for years. Here's what we have so far. Check in every month and we'll have fixes and maybe more content for you."

Who wants to commit to that? It's more an act of faith to commit not only your money, but your time, which to me, is more precious. I own all the DLC as an early backer, but still spend more time in PC2 and F1 2019. Reiza could have at least released AMS2 as a Stock Car Career Experience, then tacked on the DLC as career add-ons. Hell, probably a fake collector economy would even help.

(sidebar: how's this for an idea: the more you race in-game, the more currency you earn. You can use the currency to buy DLC. Or, just use cash to buy DLC. Reward the faithful. Create the demand that creates the faithful.)

I definitely harp on this too much. But I keep hearing the same questions from the sim community, but nothing ever changes and people wonder why.

My dream ideal scenario, would have been SMS selling the rights to Reiza for PC2.
Add the new stiffer tire model and diff to all that content, than add some Brazilian DLC.
Would have Sim heaven :)

The only thing that suddenly popped up in my mind is that if its correct that Reiza will create customed oval versions of the Cart cars then it could be if not a gamechanger then at least something completely new.
Nobody else in the sim world has this - as Im imformed at least.;)
I'm not sure if you're tracking this, but Reiza says that they're going to include oval variants of the CART cars in Racing USA Part 3 in July, when they put the ovals in.

Also, PCars2 has separate oval and road variants for the then-modern IndyCars in that game. The oval variant has an asymmetric suspension, just like the real version of that car.

The PCars2 NASCAR Cup car also had an asymmetric suspension, but SMS didn't give us the road course version.

@jmac_the_man The thing I consider crucial/urgent is how much they change the oval version of the cars compared to the normal version.
If it is as consequent as you describe it could be somewhat facinating.
Hehe the reason I say "somewhat" is because oval racing doesnt really interest me - but if it will be possible to tweak the setups full assymetric because the HW on the cars allready is assymetric I would like to play with it.
And this awakening semi-interest is because I figured out how to get on top or at least high on Racerooms ovals TT LBs by using pretty assymetric setups.
But just found that as example the camber could only be set to 0(zero) and not all the way to positive values as it theoretically should.
And the reason was that Raceroom didnt go all in for assymetric cars for their few ovals.

I'm not sure if you're tracking this, but Reiza says that they're going to include oval variants of the CART cars in Racing USA Part 3 in July, when they put the ovals in.

Also, PCars2 has separate oval and road variants for the then-modern IndyCars in that game. The oval variant has an asymmetric suspension, just like the real version of that car.

The PCars2 NASCAR Cup car also had an asymmetric suspension, but SMS didn't give us the road course version.

CART Champcars on the ovals are brilliant!

@jmac_the_man The thing I consider crucial/urgent is how much they change the oval version of the cars compared to the normal version.
If it is as consequent as you describe it could be somewhat facinating.
Hehe the reason I say "somewhat" is because oval racing doesnt really interest me - but if it will be possible to tweak the setups full assymetric because the HW on the cars allready is assymetric I would like to play with it.

I can't speak to R3E, but the PCars2 implementation of the Madness Engine supports having a weight jacker to change how biased the car's weight is from the inside to the outside. Normally, you'd want that to be 50/50 if you expect both left and right turns. But if you're only turning left, biasing the weight to the inside will help you turn in.

I expect that that asymmetry, at a minimum, will return to the AMS2 oval cars..

The lateral weight bias is allready in some of the "normal" symmetric cars in AMS2.
But what can be interesting related to ovals is the possibility of HW assymetric suspension in oval versions of cars. :thumbsup:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 131 85.6%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.7%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 53 34.6%