New rating system in place

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
We have upgraded the "like system" on RD and from now on you'll be able to rate forum posts with a wide range of options.
-2gp.gif

Besides the rating we have included a little bonus for premium members. Hope you'll enjoy this improvement.

And @Tom Endres Is it hard to accept that I feel offended when someone is nitpicking every little error you make? But as I see the staff doesn't care about it (at least you) so I should think to leave RD...
I'm sorry but you gotta live with people telling you that your grammar / orthography is bad, even if it's merely a typo.

This is the internet and this is how it works on the internet - some people are trolling and let's be honest, the net wouldn't be the same without them. Tell me you've never laughed at a "FAIL" picture or when someone else was unlucky.

If that's really something that's dragging you down so much I'm deeply sorry for you and hope you'll never run into serious problems, ever. No offence. :)

Tom

^^

But can you tell me how you think that troll/offensive ratings improve RD? I still don't get it. Only because it's the internet we need to have an unfriendly place here now?
I think that (constructive) critisizm is part of a healthy discussion. Keep in mind that most people might point out mistakes and hope you can learn from them - not to make you look stupid. :)

Tom

And calling someone's post dumb is constructive critisism and healthy conversation?
What i have been saying all along. As you can see he contradicts himself.
Says one thing, does another.
It´s there for everyone to see, all you need to do is read his posts.

-
And by the looks of it 4 people have voiced the same opinion as i had, that negativity icons is useless and only produces more negativity.
5 with me.

On the other end you have two guys that have trolled every post by labelling them dumb.
The crazy part is that one of them has gone on record saying he agrees to an extent.
The other thought he could physically decrease statistics by increasing them.
Is this the Twilight Zone here or what?

Last edited:
And calling someone's post dumb is constructive critisism and healthy conversation?
Last time I heard everyone was able to point this out in posts, so clicking this icon doesn't mean you are disallowed to clarify things in a post.

Don't get me wrong but very few people take offence and seeing how many people make use of the icon in question ("dumb") it's pretty clear that it's mostly used to argue how bad it actually is.

I'm sorry but let me make this clear: we have thought about this whole thing for a while and came up with a decision. While we value feedback we're not going to throw a whole system over board because 0.05% (whatever the real number might be) of our members dislike it whilst the other 99.95% are happily using it.

Tom

it's pretty clear that it's mostly used to argue how bad it actually is.
Since there´s actual proof of you doing this, you are also arguing how bad it actually is but is fully content with it anyways.
Especially as we know 99.95% of the people have never been asked thus, you can´t draw any conclusion from it.

What is your purpose for dumbing posts with a system you yourself agree to is used to showcase how bad it is and yet you know it won´t be changed?

Isn´t that trolling? Or is it only trolling if it´s "24/7"? where´s the breaking point of trolling and not trolling?
It´s a matter of opinion from the moderator right? Which coincidentally.....
you are.

Last edited:
Last time I heard everyone was able to point this out in posts, so clicking this icon doesn't mean you are disallowed to clarify things in a post.

Don't get me wrong but very few people take offence and seeing how many people make use of the icon in question ("dumb") it's pretty clear that it's mostly used to argue how bad it actually is.

I'm sorry but let me make this clear: we have thought about this whole thing for a while and came up with a decision. While we value feedback we're not going to throw a whole system over board because 0.05% (whatever the real number might be) of our members dislike it whilst the other 99.95% are happily using it.

Tom

Like I said earlier, I don't give a rats ass if someone dumb spams my posts. But that doesn't change the fact that imo this new system is childish and frankly stupid for a forum that is mostly used by adults. I know I wont use nothing but like button.

And saying that everyone else but couple of us is happy with this system is nonsense. I'm pretty sure that most of the rest just don't give a damn.

But your forum and you do whatever you want. But we are entitled to our opinions. If you can't take it, well tough, I won't loose my good night sleep because of it.

Since there´s actual proof of you doing this, you are also arguing how bad it actually is but is fully content with it anyways.
Especially as we know 99.95% of the people have never been asked thus, you can´t draw any conclusion from it.

So just to be clear, you "dumb" posts knowing how bad the system is as you agreed to an extent on
If you know it´s not going to change why are you still trolling then?
I'm doing this because I honestly think the posts you made contain dumb statements. There goes your proof.

Also, I'm not trolling you - if I'd do I wouldn't even bother reading your posts. But as I know that you're having a proven track record of trying to have the last word anyway, I'll leave it.

With that being said: Ian, for example, has pointed out that he did use it for the very reason of showing that it can be abused.
Like I said earlier, I don't give a rats ass if someone dumb spams my posts. But that doesn't change the fact that imo this new system is childish and frankly stupid for a forum that is mostly used by adults. I know I wont use nothing but like button.

And saying that everyone else but couple of us is happy with this system is nonsense. I'm pretty sure that most of the rest just don't give a damn.

But your forum and you do whatever you want. But we are entitled to our opinions. If you can't take it, well tough, I won't loose my good night sleep because of it.
Like I said, we appreciate your feedback. It's just that 5 out of thousands of people is such an insignificant number that it doesn't affect our decisions.

As you said, this is an adault community and I'm thus sure that these buttons won't cause any trouble for the vast majority. For everything else, i.e. people being a downvote fairy for malicious reasons like downvoting every single post someone has ever made etc., there's the report tool. I thought that'd be obvious but I'll mention it nonetheless.

Tom

I'm doing this because I honestly think the posts you made contain dumb statements. There goes your proof.
I mostly quoted you and what you have said so i guess if that´s dumb that means your posts are dumb.

I have done nothing but posted facts when it comes to you.
Cold hard facts. And you still haven´t adressed your contradictions.
You rate my comment dumb yet you agree to it. Are you even conscious of that?

With that being said: Ian, for example, has pointed out that he did use it for the very reason of showing that it can be abused.
Yea because nobody had concluded that before he did that......
Maybe he needed to "convince" himself and you perhaps what the rest of us have been saying since the first post in this thread.

I mostly quoted you and what you have said so i guess if that´s dumb that means your posts are dumb.

I have done nothing but posted facts when it comes to you.
Cold hard facts. And you still haven´t adressed your contradictions.

Yea because nobody had concluded that before he did that......
Maybe he needed to "convince" himself and you perhaps what the rest of us have been saying since the first post in this thread.
Hampus,

I honestly like people sharing their opinion but it became pretty clear to me that you're not trying to have a healthy discussion here but it's merely about you making yourself look like some sort of martyr, trying to save everyone from the evil (aka Bram & me) whilst twisting my words to make them work with what you're saying.

I know that's what you're often doing but I'm a bit tired by that by now, I have to admit. Due to this I'll close this thread for now (edit: lifted @ 9:30pm), because it doesn't feed us somewhere either. Thanks to everyone else for their constructive feedback.

Tom

Last edited:
Was away for a day but seems I haven't missed much. Majority likes it, minority doesn't. Almost looks LIKE real life in here :)

Glad that at least improvements get a longer period of time to be tested before it gets shot <sarcasm button pressed>

First of all I am not changing anything when people go lunatic in a thread like this claiming stuff. Secondly we are going to give this a try an re-evaluate afterwards.

Maybe we keep all the options, maybe we don't but that's up those running the forum to decide.

But like some people do storming in here and basically telling us what we should and shouldn't do is not how things work.

Reading through the forums I see a lot of positive kudos posted, more than normally happened with just a like link.

Give it some time please.

Peace

To be quite honest, I can't say I like the new rating system either. I'm not particularly fond of 'like' buttons of any kind, but this new system just turns the forum into a popularity contest.

I also disagree with a point made by Tom and Bram - that the new system improves contributions and activity. The thing is: rating someone's post is not an actual contribution. It takes zero effort and there is basically also zero benefit from it.

The worst part about it is the anonymity. If someone's got an opinion, they should come out and say it. If you can't even stand with your name behind your opinion - why should I respect it?

And when 'likes' and dislikes are merely stacked up and counted, the individuals behind them lose meaning. This might not exactly be in the spirit of democracy, but in my opinion, not all forum members are created equal. To me, a 'like' from reasonable people like Bram or Hampus (most of the time, anyway :-p) means a lot more than, say, from the random Vettel-hater crowd who'll just 'like' anything sufficiently negative about him. The anonymity takes some of that away. It also kind of goes against one of the fundamental RD principles, encouraging a mature conduct by posting and racing with real life names (which also has been undermined on other occasions, but that's a different story).

Additionally, the 'like' system wasn't used particularly well until now. I admit it's been a while since I've read through the forum rules but I remember there being something about how you should 'like' posts because they are useful and constructive and not because you find them funny or because you simply agree with them. My observation is that most likes are used for funny posts or pictures (which, coincidentally have been posted three times before), followed by the trench-warfare of the Hamilton vs. Vettel vs. Alonso fans (each liking the posts of their comrades). Somehow I don't really see the new system being used any better.

Overall, I just think the like system was bad enough as it is, and this won't improve it.

If you want constructive criticism on how to improve on the new system: keep it in place but take away the anonymity. Perhaps it should display the names of the people who did the like/dislike/rainbow/whatever on mouseover of the respective symbol, or something like that.

Oh, and ponies rule.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back