New rating system in place

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
We have upgraded the "like system" on RD and from now on you'll be able to rate forum posts with a wide range of options.
-2gp.gif

Besides the rating we have included a little bonus for premium members. Hope you'll enjoy this improvement.

With the addition of now being able to semi-anonymously vote up or down i can see things getting out of hand pretty quickly if you don´t have to stand for your votes.

One guy could in theory get someones complete post list and just downvote every single one of them, and thus skew the results from actual reality.

Thank you Howard and Senad for proving my point.

Especially Senad, claiming it´s a dumb post when in reality it´s a perfectly valid concern.
But with this system you don´t need to care about that sort of thing, it´s just a simple click then move on.

Last edited:
If people want to spend their lives online downvoting peoples list of posts I wish them a great time really.

Shouldn't worry about that too much. Its more to stimulate positive online behavior and also give tools to the silent majority to spread some love.

There is too much hate in simracing already.

There is too much hate in simracing already.
There is yes, and you just geared people up with another "weapon".

What lovespreading does a dislike button do?
What productive conversations does a disagree button spark?

It´s an interesting system but it seems it´s inhibiting discussion rather then promoting it.
Which seems strange since the backbone of a forum is discussion.

An interesting system nonetheless, i´m eager to see how this pans out.
It´s the type of system i´d expect to see on a my little pony forum and not a racing forum where most are grown ups.

Just look at the votes below, soon people will run out of symbols....and it´s all completely pointless.

Last edited:
It´s the type of system i´d expect to see on a my little pony forum and not a racing forum where most are grown ups.

Totally agreed.

But at the end of the day, I don't give a rats ass if someone likes or dislikes my posts. So if this new systems floats someones boat then go for it but I find this system quite childish.

But ponies are cool, no doubt about that.

It seems most things that are changed these days have no real thought process behind it, it´s like the option is there and instead of thinking long and hard, making a pros and cons list it´s instead....I`M GONNA DO IT!!!!
And then we have it, and then weeks go by and people start to realize that maybe it actually was better before it. So it gets changed back to normal.

Like the edit button time, like the news articles.
If i had a better memory i could come up with more examples.

How can you know what has been decided without a decision process? Do you have access to our staff meetings?

You always seem to think you have the answer to literally everything that happens in the universe but for once try to realize that this maybe isn't true.

I am looking forward in making this a 40 page long discussion :) I sign up for the long run.

like the news articles.

Yeah the F1 forum is literally booming again now the news is moved from it eh? :)

How can you know what has been decided without a decision process? Do you have access to our staff meetings?
I´ll take that as a "you are correct" because otherwise you would have said you sat down for x days and thought about this.

I think it went something like this. One guy notice this system is available for Xenforo, shows it to the other guys, everyone or nearly everyone says yes and boom it´s put in the forum.

You always seem to think you have the answer to literally everything that happens in the universe but for once try to realize that this maybe isn't true.
And yet you changed the news to a separate area.
Was it because you actually thought i made a valid point? I think it was.
And i was not the one who mentioned the edit-time, i simply agreed to that.
Which coincidentally also was changed.

I am looking forward in making this a 40 page long discussion :) I sign up for the long run.
No need, this will be my last post here ;)

Yeah the F1 forum is literally booming again now the news is moved from it eh? :)
With 4 week breaks, 3 week breaks and no F1 news that´s pretty normal.
At least there would not be 500 articles about Vettel´s hair.
2-3 months i´ll give it ;)

Instead of more lovespreading you introduced various forms of negativity that nobody needs to be held accountable for.

An example is this, imagine they don´t exist.

Person X has an idea, or post pictures of his rig or whatever.
Then Person Y only posts, "this is dumb".

You would have a moderator sending a PM to you asking why the hell you write stupid posts like that with no constructive message whatsoever.

But now, you actually have a button for it which is crazy.
It´s obvious there has been no thought process on this thing.

-
Edit: "And yeah originally written content about F1 is horrible."

Yea FIA press releases as first posts in race threads are just that, "originally written".
In fact most of the articles refer to other news sites, just changed the wording of it.
Because we know none of you went and had an interview with the actual guys.
So where does the information come from? Other news sites.

Last edited:
Indeed there is no harm in trying to improve things.

And yeah originally written content about F1 is horrible. Its much cooler to 100% copy paste news from copyrighted sources and discuss that and let Bram & Co answer the incoming emails from websites who's content has been taken illegally and let us justify the mess some people create.

You are completely right about that Hampus. What are we thinking, writing stuff ourselves :( Shame on us!!

Like most of the times you assume things without knowing any facts or story behind decisions made.

On the topic of the like button. Its exactly the same as it was except you can now also dislike posts.

How many times do you see troll posts being liked by a LOUD and negative minority of people just to steer things up.

With this system the SILENT MAJORITY also gets a say in things without having to post in discussions/rants that go on and on and on for pages.

Will it work? Not sure. Worth a try to IMPROVE things? Absolutely!

You must be very afraid of that whole system, Hampus...for the reason quoted below. :)
Only a person that has failed to read anything that has been written would say that.
But since i know you never read posts that´s considered normal in your case.

Eventually people will realize it Bradley, some just needs more time.
You don´t have to be Nostradamus to realize a negative system will produce negativity.

Last edited:
I actually agree with Hampus in the way that it allows a negative atmosphere to take place.
I agree, to a certain extent. It might cause people to think about what they post - a bit more than they used to do, at least. Obviously some people will always abuse a system but it's the same with a positive system.

I can also play the dumb game.
And all it will prove is how stupid the system is...

Edit: and with Senad giving a "winner" symbol to the above statement you have 3 members and 1 staff members agreeing about the negativity of the system. One "to an extent"
All you need is this thread alone to realize that negativity produces more negativity.
Just as violence breeds violence or happiness produces more happiness.
It´s very simple fundamental things we are talking about here.
-
And just so people take note, Tom agrees with my post (to an extent) but instead of quoting me and saying that he agrees he uses Bradley´s post and through that agree with me.

Instead he decided to try and make fun of me.
And this is a staff member we are talking about.
Now that´s an equation Einstein would have trouble solving.

Last edited:
I don't need to make you look funny, Hampus. You are pretty good at doing that yourself. But with that being said I'll back out of this thread I'll lean back and enjoy the show. :)

Just keep one thing in mind: you have no say in all this and this will never change. So feel free to nerd rage as much as you want, it doesn't affect such decisions. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 198 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 196 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%