NEW GTR2 AI Mod Coming Soon

EDIT: NOW RELEASED! Go HERE.

Something I've slowly worked on over the past few years (and have had to start over because of a recent hardware failure). Thought I'd take the opportunity of the recent NoGrip closure and community migration to make this public. I've been selfishly using it for my own enjoyment for a long time. Perhaps it's time that I shared something for once.

Aimed at making single-player offline racing against the AI in full-length endurance races more faithfully realistic than with a default installation. In addition to many other changes that have been incorporated, the usual issues with the AI have been addressed.

A warning that this mod, when it comes, may not be to everyone's tastes, as it will make GTR2 more suitably difficult. Both in competing with the AI, as well as actually driving the cars. This is not done simply for the sake of making things harder, but as good as it is there are things about GTR2 that make it less "real" than it could be.

Almost complete. In the final stages. Just race testing and fine tuning at this point.

Meant for use over a vanilla GTR2 installation only.

Not affiliated with the GTR2 Reborn Project in any way, nor is there intent to steal their well-earned thunder.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
I'm intrigued. Will make the AI race more cleanly? Crash less? Loose less pace over a stint?

My apologies for the slow response. Been busy. :)

The aim is to make the AI drive more consistently and competitively, while maintaining the relative driver performances of the AI talent files. As before, some individual AI drivers will be faster than others. There will be no more of the dramatic speed-ups and slowdowns during a stint, though they will still lose some pace over a stint due to tire wear.

The AI should drive more cleanly but this is laborious to fine-tune, and much depends on how the player himself drives when in close proximity of the AI. Braking too early with an AI right behind you, as well as braking too late while closely tailing AI, will likely result in a collision anyway, no matter how cleanly the AI drives. A player who drives harshly or incorrectly will not notice anything.

AI retirements will occur more evenly through the period of full-length races, instead of a chunk of the field suddenly retiring in the final two or three laps.

Really hoping you can pull something off here. My one remaining beef with GTR2 is AI doesn't race close enough near the top. The top 1 or 2 will pull multiple seconds away from the pack within 10 laps. It seems if you get the AI strength dialed in, it still only means you'll always be falling behind the lead car or always getting away - never having a real fight. There are rare moments of fights but way too rare.

always have specific AI issues at specific tracks. Stuff like complete chaos at the Mulsanne Chicanes at LeMans... Sudden slow downs at spots on the Nordschliefe that should be flat out (although one of the versions I loaded seems to be better)and other issues at other tracks. doesn't matter what class, cars, AI rating or aggression. It takes away any satisfaction for making a "good pass" when you can predict where to make the move since you know they will back off at certain spots. Good Luck on your mission and looking forward to giving it a go once it's ready.

Mod is now released, though I don't necessarily consider it "finished". Could adjust this and that forever and never let it go...

Go here.

Try it for a while, get used to it, and let me know what you think.

always have specific AI issues at specific tracks. Stuff like complete chaos at the Mulsanne Chicanes at LeMans... Sudden slow downs at spots on the Nordschliefe that should be flat out (although one of the versions I loaded seems to be better)and other issues at other tracks. doesn't matter what class, cars, AI rating or aggression. It takes away any satisfaction for making a "good pass" when you can predict where to make the move since you know they will back off at certain spots. Good Luck on your mission and looking forward to giving it a go once it's ready.

If it's a track specific issue (other than with the circuits that come with GTR2) then it may be something this mod may not fix. A lot depends on the quality of a specific track's AIW file. This isn't a criticism, but some track builders make their tracks with the intention of them being used for online races between human players, and don't devote a lot of attention to AI parameters.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back