New F1 Helmet Rules to be introduced for 2019

samcar304

Premium
Helmet F1.jpg

Safety is always a big priority and with the introduction of the Halo this year the FIA looks to further improve upon the safeguarding of the drivers with new regulations regarding helmet manufacturing.

In the past week, news broke out that for 2019 a new standard of helmet design is to be mandatory in Formula 1. This new evolution of the helmet aims to improve ballistic protection, impact tolerance and increase driver safety even further. The new helmet design by BELL appears less shapely than past helmets and does not look as sleek. The visor is now smaller reducing the area of exposure to the driver, and the chin guard looks to be further pronounced. Whether we see the current zylon visor strip protection adorn this new generation of helmets is yet to be confirmed. But there has been hints to see an evolution on top of the already existing solution providing even more protection than what was introduced after incidents such as Felipe Massa’s in Hungary 2009.

Helmets F1.jpg

Other helmet manufacturers Stilo, Schuberth and Arai who are yet to release images of their new 2019 helmets have worked closely alongside the FIA through the development process to ensure the safety and design regulations put in place are ready for their drivers next season. Firstly, introduced in Formula 1 for 2019 and then will be mandatory in series across the world over the next few years.

Throughout the years of Helmet evolution and development we have seen many shapes and sizes. What’s your opinion on the new Helmet designs looks? Do you have a favourite Helmet shape/manufacturer? Possibly a favourite Helmet design from the history of F1 or series alike. Post a comment below and join in the discussion.

Last edited:
Maybe my age is showing, but, the more protection the better. It can be ugly, just as long as it works and it should be lite and have not just good, but great visibility for the driver . You can do wonders with a wrap or paint. just my 2 cents worth.

It's disturbing to see why officials decide to improve drivers safety starting from 2017 with halo and this new tiny visor, whereas it should have been done right away after the horrible Imola 1994 weekend.

Because all these stuff looks like to me to prevent the rare (AFAIK it never happened again since) crash Senna had there.

At least, Grosjean will have a good excuse for his recklessness : "ooohh I didn't see the car coming" or "what ? I didn't see there was a car there". More seriously, less viewing area could create more serious safety issues with all these stuff, a closed cockpit would have been wiser.

Vision won't be a problem. The new design literally gets rid of the most useless part of the visor, the part every single driver covers with a decal. Visors are the weakpoint of a helmet, so they shouldn't be bigger just to be covered with a non-transparent decal in that area...

If you've worn a racing helmet before you'll probably know that vision won't be worse without a decal on these helmets than with a decal on the old style. I expect a ban on visor decals with the new generation. Put advertisement on the helmet above the visor, that'll work just as well.

It should be like hollywood movies.... the main actors are often shown without a hat or helmet even when all the other characters are wearing headgear. Thus, f1 drivers, behind the halo, should now drive helmet-less. Either that or the helmet needs to be shaped and colored like their actual face, lol.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.5%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.7%