New Console Developer? Ian Bell Announces 'Mad Box'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
SMS Mad Box 1.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios Ian Bell has confirmed on Twitter that the developers behind Project CARS are working on a new and super powerful console.

Intending to pitch right into the fight for console supremacy with the likes of Microsoft and Sony, Bell has confirmed that SMS are working on the provisionally titled 'Mad Box' device, with plans to significantly move the console marketplace forward with what has been described as "the most powerful console ever built...".

SMS Mad Box 2.jpg

Although plans are in the infancy at this moment in time, Bell has stated that the new Mad Box console should be VR compatible from the off, with a proposed 90fps per eye, 180 FPS internally expected at the point of the consoles release - expected to be two or three years away at this stage.

Although much of the internal spec is still under consideration by Slightly Mad Studios, the overall design of the console has surfaced earlier today, as can be evidenced by the screenshots in this article, and Bell has been in very bullish mood during much of initial reveal discussions on social media - coming straight out of the blocks with some very impressive statements about the consoles capabilities once launched - easily putting the new Mad Box in the frame as a potential Xbox and PlayStation 4 beating piece of hardware.

Ian Bell Tweet 1.jpg
Ian Bell Tweet 2.jpg
Ian Bell Tweet 3.jpg

Of course it is still early days in the development of the new Mad Box, but if the initial plans for the console do come to fruition this will be a very impressive piece of kit indeed. One of the key features mentioned briefly by Ian is the desire to open up the game engine to developers, presumably allowing game developers to access the engine platform in which to develop new games. Furthermore, Bell has stated that this will be a free facility for developers, which should be a powerful incentive for game studios to create content that works well with the new console.

All in all this is certainly a surprise move from SMS, and one very interesting topic to keep an eye on in the coming months..

What I don't like about this concept design looks like it completely chokes the fans that are in the front. It absolutely drives me up the wall when a case manufacturer purposely blocks all airflow to the PC inside (assuming this is essentially a PC) for the sake of looking pretty.

Upvote 0
What I don't like about this concept design looks like it completely chokes the fans that are in the front. It absolutely drives me up the wall when a case manufacturer purposely blocks all airflow to the PC inside (assuming this is essentially a PC) for the sake of looking pretty.

It's not exactly like that to look good. It's a mad man's idea of a console with his signature all over the box. A monster bug on it's side, a big M for mad and I still wonder why no one noticed the bell bottom. All I see is a bugged mad bell.

Upvote 0
To me if someone shown me a new console and they was claiming it to be the most powerful console in the world,
and it was the size of a matchbox and could hold it in the palm of my hand,
I would be jesus this is totally mad yeah, and they was calling it the mad box,

but this thing is the size of a small fridge, its just not impressive at all, either way good look to them, I will be sat here watching it unfold with the rest of you guys and I know 1 thing,
it wont be a red carpet. :D

Upvote 0
So now, two days later, it's up from 60 fps to 90 fps, per eye. Okay.
It's borderline insulting listening to this guy babble on, promising the world. I think he's a little out of his league this time

Mod Edit: No personal insults please

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Has a product rendering ever been released three years in advance before? Ignoring how aesthetically-challenged it looks, three years is a long time in consumer taste. Also:

sms-mad-box-1-jpg.284521

AQSmPLj.jpg
Confirmed, it"s an AssHat.

Upvote 0
I will always be thankful to Ian Bell for having made GTR2 :)
That said, console world is a hard place to live, and the most important stay alive during many years. We all know many famous brands which vanished (PCengine, Atari, SNK, SEGA...) in the past.
Moreover, at the beginning, both PS for sony and Xbox for MS were sold at a loss.
About specs :
- "you want 60hz"... no we want 120hz per eye as next gen vr sets
- "you want 4k"...no, we want 8k like new tv and vr sets
- we want raytracing/dlssr at 120hz in 8k
- all that for reasonable selling price under 600€ because this is what ps5 will cost in 2 years :)
So I wish you good luck SMS... and change your name as SEVERLY MAD STUDIOS because this is a really crazy project for a racing game dev team :D

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Ok I know SMS based topics often result in some.... heated opinions... however please try to stay civil in here, and steer well clear of personal insults. Come on, I don't want to have to spend time debating if I post SMS related news in future for fear of the way the comments will go - so work with me here please and keep it respectful!

Cheers

P

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And what type of response did you expect @Paul Jeffrey from a developer that by the majority of people have felt like they have been short changed? Was I edited for the reference to the incompetent leader, and his defunct university and the factitious offspring of it. Or was it implying that Mr. Bell attended the made up lower level of business acumen?

self imposed indefinite timeout from RD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • Prizes