New Build Available Now For rFactor 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Studio 397 have today deployed a small update for their rFactor 2 racing simulation.

The new build arrives today hot on the heels of Studio 397's new UI previews and release date announcement, but don't get too excited - we've still got a few weeks left to wait for the much anticipated new User Interface for the simulation..!

This build, version 1.1116 is mostly a minor hotfix release, addressing some of the smaller issues within the core game code as well as bringing a few useful changes to how cut track detection is implemented within the simulation.

Useful for those hosting online races with the software, the new build has introduced the ability for the server host to configure the parameters around cut detection within the race event - namely empowering the race organiser with the ability to choose how many times a driver is allowed to perform a cut track before the game will offer up a penalty - a very useful update in the ever competitive world of online virtual motorsport!

You can check out the full build notes for the new update below.

rFactor 2 Update 2.jpg

rFactor 2 V1.1116 Update Notes

Steam Build IDs
client: 4356193
dedi: 4356207

• Added "Track Cuts Allowed": You can now configure the number of track cuts before a penalty is given out, in single-player and multi-player. This entry can be found in your 'player.JSON' file.
  • Fixed number of track cuts resetting after a driver swap.
  • Fixed an issue where some marshals would not wave flags. This was an issue particular to the Nordschleife and the exceptionally large number of marshals.
  • Added additional logging to help debug driver-swap issues.

rFactor 2 is available now exclusively for PC.

Want to learn how to get the most from your rFactor 2 install? Looking for a new mod or the latest info? Ask a question in our rFactor 2 sub forum, and share the love with your fellow community members!

Sim Racing is Awesome!

RFactor 2 is good, only with a serious restriction, the Nürburgring Nordschleife, all tracks work wonderfully, but as soon as I load the Nordschleife collapses my system, nothing works anymore, why only? Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Probably a corrupt download.
Delete the item and it download automatically next time you start Steam.

I’ve had similar experiences with cars and tracks (not often though).

rF2's main limitation is the UI no question IHMO. The other issue is difficulty making content because of the awkward way stuff is packaged. They should take a look at AC and content manager. Making/organising teams/drivers/skins for cars is very clunky system as it stands now. Setting up AI races is awful compared to Asseto Corsa (which has made modding an art form).
At the very least fix the way cars are able to be organised with teams etc in UI will be a big step forward.

Configuration of skinning and drivers is a good example of how terrible the interface is (in AC is just a simple drag and drop copy and easy tweak of a few text config files).

The trick will be fixing it and being able to easy port current mod content over...

There is a reason AC has so much user created content, RF2 could learn a lot from that side of AC.
Keep it simple stupid principle.

They other thing is dislike is the camera system in replays , is just very very clunky compared to other titles. Needs a modernisation badly.

Last edited:
I love rF2, it's my favourite sim. But I have also a shitty hardware (an old MSI GTX 650 Ti 2 GB mounted on even elder mobo with PCIe 2.0). With the help of other users guides I can race with 10 AIs at 60 Hz on almost all tracks but Le Mans with medium-high settings, but I must downscale to windowed mode. The actual UI is perfect in full HD resolution, but in 16:9 720p, 768p and 900p is very terrific. I hope the new UI will be better downscalable in window mode.

God please no, AC´s UI doesnt scale well (no hate on AC, because it works atleast, just like the UI in rf2:)) and CM works ok for a free mod, but still pretty bad if a game had this kind of UI.
Would keep the current one rather than use one of those, luckily for me it will be different

I did not mean make it a copy of ac or content manager, but it is a good base to start from.
If you know how to use cm its very powerful, just not super intuitive (improve on that)

The main issue with Rf2 is because of the way it uses its config files, AC has a much more open system that makes it a lot easier to tweak drivers/teams/skins to suit how u want to race.

Last edited:
I see lots have been with rF2 from start still complain about things
If they did everything that everyone wants you find other things to whinge about

I hosted rF2 for years fine, sure some little issues but nothing worth worrying about !@!

get over it

lol , "get over it"

That's because its an update they have been talking about for years and its finally (almost) here.

If the ui was so great we would have a lot less dissatisfaction. As race games go its about the worst UI there is, especially if u race offline. Constructive criticism is healthy and why/how things improve. Case and point is we would not be having a discussion on pending UI upgrade, without user feedback.

Last edited:
The actual UI is perfect in full HD resolution, but in 16:9 720p, 768p and 900p is very terrific. I hope the new UI will be better downscalable in window mode.

It's not so much about the look of the interface its the functionality of it. Like the lack of car info, poor AI race setup(current filtering, limits car selections, there are work around but not via UI directly ) and team/driver and skin configurations. For those that only race online its less of an issue.

Last edited:
While I am not a great fan of rF2 (but I was originally until all this BS about this and that happening, blah , blah), BUT I am happy to wait until I see the UI before trying to guess what it might be like. I have however watched some video footage of the proposed UI and I must say it looks very promising. All in all, only time will tell. In the meantime, I am "chilling". ;):cool:

It's not so much about the look of the interface its the functionality of it. Like the lack of car info, poor AI race setup(current filtering, limits car selections, there are work around but not via UI directly ) and team/driver and skin configurations. For those that only race online its less of an issue.

There is easy solution for offline solves moist of that

1. Make a room mod ...you can select down to the skin and tracks layouts you want

2. Run dedicated server ( not that new way ) simply click the icon in launcher

3. Join your room you are only one can see it (..so no passwords or admin control needed )

So in short you can make rooms with the exact skins and layouts you wish.
Added benefits
You can add and remove ai when and as you wish
You can swap to any car in the garage !@! no rebooting rF2 to change skin/car again !

What other sim does that ? none is answer

There is no lag doing this or anything else ...............................
You don't have to set a single port or anything else ..............

edit:
Another benefit
Using Windowed mode you can click on the server menu and restart race, room, boot ai etc. all while you are lapping lol
I have not mentioned all benefit is more just can't think on the spot

:sleep:

Last edited:
Best room is all GT DLC you can swap to any car you like
Bonus is it retains all your times for every car you drive in that session ! ...funky man .... again what sim does that ?

For the best room you only pick one skin for each car when making your room mod
With 15 GT you set 14 AI then on track you get one of each car
If you set more then 15 you may not get some cars and have doubled up skins

I think 25 different cars is still the limit making mods and in a room ( have not tested lately )
So if you testing 25 different cars in one session
You set 24AI

Proof of concept one of my "online offline" rooms with one model each
If you try to do this offline it will never work you will always end up a missing car and/or duplicate skins ;)
r-Factor2-2015-03-20-03-36-22-313.jpg

That was way back that was all cars for rF2 were out ....note the small white dot ( RC car ) lol
You could do this since Build 60....... I stumbled on it by chance

Last edited:
There is easy solution for offline solves moist of that

1. Make a room mod ...you can select down to the skin and tracks layouts you want

2. Run dedicated server ( not that new way ) simply click the icon in launcher

3. Join your room you are only one can see it (..so no passwords or admin control needed )

So in short you can make rooms with the exact skins and layouts you wish.
Added benefits
You can add and remove ai when and as you wish
You can swap to any car in the garage !@! no rebooting rF2 to change skin/car again !

What other sim does that ? none is answer

There is no lag doing this or anything else ...............................
You don't have to set a single port or anything else ..............

edit:
Another benefit
Using Windowed mode you can click on the server menu and restart race, room, boot ai etc. all while you are lapping lol
I have not mentioned all benefit is more just can't think on the spot

:sleep:
I already know this is possible, its only way i can get rf2 to work with specific cars , tracks etc.
And
You can do that with content manager(and more) without all the convoluted making mods each time you want different setups or having to run a dedicated server to do it. My point is you should not have to make mods just to have specific cars and skins , tracks, teams , drivers etc in a race that is what a UI for.

My point is not AC or content manager is better, its that rf2 interface is awkward and convoluted use and doesn't show any info on cars and tracks in UI etc etc. UI needs work and I hope the new one addresses some of this.
If UI was so great they would not be working of a new one.

Last edited:
Like I said that is a big ask when it is already possible

Even if the new UI does that you will still do same # mouse clicks to do the same changes and will take same time ;)

Using CM again as example you can save a race setup or create a career , only required doing it once and its far simpler and quicker than doing something similar in RF2. CM UI is considerably more powerful and simpler to use.

Its weakness is that it has so many features it takes time to work out how to do it. (and a UI needs to be easy to use, where RF2 UI is to simplistic , opposite extreme )

Anyway I'm looking forward to the new UI with hope as rf2 is a great sim.

Last edited:
Yes thanks I'm aware.

I followed this steam guide

Lets hope new UI will allow you to create custom races with any car, track , skin , team , driver combo without having to do this craziness. (with CM is very easy and quick to do this, AND save it as a preset)

This is a far more flexible and powerful UI (once you know how it works)
1573090563495.png

1573091603492.png

Last edited:
It's not so much about the look of the interface its the functionality of it. Like the lack of car info
Lack of car info is mostly the fault of mod-makers (official and third party). ISI added a Technical Data field for each car (see Tuning tab) and originally put desired info in it, but somehow it is forgotten. There's also a bug in the UI, which appeared when S397 took rF2 to DX11, so the field isn't displayed initially until you click on different car configurations... if a car doesn't have additional configurations, then the field is never displayed.

Some examples of how it was intended to be used are the Howston Group 4 & Group 6. An example of not using the field is the March 761.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back