F1 2011 Need Help on Race Starts

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
I have no idea how to get a good start. Please help, I tried keeping up to the red dots, the full bar, and even overreving, but it still doesn't start nicely, losing me places.

Me too!

What i have been doing lately is revving the engine with about half throttle till the lights go out, then accelerate till about 80km/h, then shift to 2nd and give it more throttle, if the tyres are still spinning i ease up a bit i wait till the spinning stops before shifting to 3rd.

I'm no expert at starts, in fact i get them wrong more often than not however i noticed if i had first gear "longer" (over to the right more) my starts are better....less throttle sensitivity = less wheelspin = better launch. Be warned, you still have to practise with how much revs to go with but when you get it right it's like you have launch control !

İf you want to good start.dont use kers with start.wait 1-2 second for accelarate after use kers and make good gearbox settings I usually doing first gear maximum kph seconds is little bit lower than first.third is lower than second....

I find it near impossible to get good starts if im either A> racing AI, or B> Racing people online that use traction control. If im racing other guys that dont use Traction Control online i then tend to make good starts in comparison. I almost always change to 2nd almost instantly after launching from the line and then when traction gets the better of wheelspin i then use a nice load of KERS on the approach to turn 1.

In agreement with Chris above.
I would add thet you can have quite a lot of revs before the lights go out to avoid the car bogging down.
Go to mix 3 while car moves off line.
You then need to short shift and feather throttle to manage wheel spin.
Once traction is good KERS.

Do you use traction control?? If so im not sure whats the best way to launch but if you dont use traction control then no, full revs when stationary will only lead to massive wheelspin. I tend to hold quite low rpm to be honest. Just enough rpm so that i dont bog down when i pull away.

In anyone can make a small video, and upload it, I'd be eternally grateful.
So basically full revs without overreving (the whole bar, but not blinking); then Mix 3, then short shift while controlling traction and KERSing once it's good? :)

I think full revs is only good if you do run TC, and you want help without right? I setup a very long 1st gear. On the grid I find holding the revs so the green section is lit and the red middle section only just lit (flickering) works best for me. Just the right amount of revs. I will tend to short shift into 2nd and certainly dont use KERS until 3rd gear or I am sure that it wont be wasted in wheelspin.

Certainly not a definite rocket start everytime as there is still a lot of throttle feathering to be done and sometimes I get it right and sometimes not quite right lol, but this technique regularly keeps me up with the people running TC, and will normally slot me into turn 1 in the same position I started on most occasions.

I don't usually short shift into 1st this much but due to it being a track where you need a short 1st gear i had to minimise wheelspin. Starts are different for every track due to setup differences :)
EDIT: found another

well, good starts are always tricky and traction levels usually vary even in dry because of dynamic weather
But what i suggest is:
Before start, use throttle to light all green led and maybe reds but no blues. DO NOT FLOOR
Be very gentle on throttle when on first, shift to second before first green led on dashboard goes up, put a bit more throttle shift to third on full green led, put about 60% of throttle and when on fourth floor it and don't use kers before third gear
i also recommend put second gear a bit longer than default and use 0.7-0.6 rear camber when possible
here is an example of start which put me from 4th to 1st on a very short run down to 1st corner

To train starts i do use gp mode "restart race" feature :D
Basically, try to learn moment when rear wheels are began to spin and just lift. Usually you will go a bit sideways when your car loses traction. From what i learned shortshifting is ineffective, but throttle control is everything.

I don''t use traction control, and after practicing (thank you all very, VERY MUCH!) I can finally start nicely at least 60-80% of the time!
Just one final thing, do you reccomend going into "Fast" engine mode, or does it not matter? :)

well, good starts are always tricky and traction levels usually vary even in dry because of dynamic weather
But what i suggest is:
Before start, use throttle to light all green led and maybe reds but no blues. DO NOT FLOOR
Be very gentle on throttle when on first, shift to second before first green led on dashboard goes up, put a bit more throttle shift to third on full green led, put about 60% of throttle and when on fourth floor it and don't use kers before third gear
i also recommend put second gear a bit longer than default and use 0.7-0.6 rear camber when possible
here is an example of start which put me from 4th to 1st on a very short run down to 1st corner

To train starts i do use gp mode "restart race" feature :D
Basically, try to learn moment when rear wheels are began to spin and just lift. Usually you will go a bit sideways when your car loses traction. From what i learned shortshifting is ineffective, but throttle control is everything.

Off subject, but how do you get the OSD with cockpit view?

I don''t use traction control, and after practicing (thank you all very, VERY MUCH!) I can finally start nicely at least 60-80% of the time!
Just one final thing, do you reccomend going into "Fast" engine mode, or does it not matter? :)

I havant tried 'Rich/fast' engine mode at the start of the race (as i havent really thought about doing it) but im pretty confident in saying that YES it will help and is recommended. The extra horsepower you get from it may gain you a car length or 2 by the time you get to turn 1! Could mean the difference between 1st and 2nd position!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back