My Rallycross adventure

Oh yeah, if you would like to support me, you can ofcourse subscribe on the youtube channel, or follow me on instagram or facebook. Every little support can help. :)

Great experience! Do you get away for cheap or is it an expensive sport for us "normal" people (I take it you are one of them)?
in my opinion I am quite a normal person and have not a business or something. These events i mostly paid myself.

It is i think important that you learn and explore your abilities and a bit self taught. Luckily I have a few abilities in which I can position myself, like design, wordpress, videography, editing, etc. But basically filming and editing i just actually learned in the last 1,5 year and rallycross kinda helped me with it.

Racing is never cheap, but you can lower the costs quite a lot if you have certain knowledge, connections, etc.

Renting the car was 850 euro (excl VAT). A normal person would pay also VAT, so the price actually would be 1028,50 (if we use 21% VAT as here in the NL). Luckily my brother, but also my parents, so I have let them pay it, so that reduces the tax already. But now the interesting part is, if they would keep the 850 euro, they would pay 15% profit tax at the end of the financial year, but also another 15% (from the 850-15%) for dividend tax. If you remove that, than it is actually just 614 netto. So you could save up to 40%.

The biggest investment what is needed first is the clothing. So check for deals, quality and things that has a long FIA approval. And if you can do the trick up, it could save you a few bucks.

The last event i basically did for "free". But that is because i updated the website of the team. So in that case I used my abilities.

Connections is also hugely important, maybe even the most important. I now connected with another team with quite history. Last weekend I visited a event, and he introduced me with an other driver/entrepeneur. Now it is possible that I will race another "free" weekend in an other car, because of that. That entrepeneus not want to sponsor me (maybe yet), but does give me an opportunity, just because of my abilities. Now I not need to give anything in return, but I will do a quickscan of his website than. I hope with this I will kinda overdeliver and create a suprise value. Sometimes its not all about money, but the value and capabilities that can give no other.

So in the end my original supporters, i have a few small sponsors or partners what i do the trick with, who now have only paid for two events, but will be getting back 4/5 events for it.

Although I have no original connection with racing background in my family or something, I just start up from zero you could say. It needs a lot of dedication. You could see as a parttime job next to you fulltime job. A lot who do race have had the connections, or their family raced, or have the money.

One thing what can also help if you are technical well. So if you can run and maintaie a racing car. That could reduce the costs also a lot. Although you still need an investment to buy a car and things.

Wow thanks for the detailed insights. Renting the car was unexpected, I thought you'd own it somehow. So then the "business model" makes sense. Cool you can help the team and reduce your costs.

Got my first podium in rallycross, on the debut with a new car, without testing and with a new team! Video will still come, but the whole story available on my socials:
FB:
IG:
1680765160235.png

Congrats! Awesome! Is this the Dutch Championship?
Belgium is here: https://www.youtube.com/@RacingAction/videos (Round 1 Mettet)
[Just to clarify: I do know Valkenswaard is in the Netherlands.]

Proper question: Is your Polo a 2WD car? And not changed to RWD? Onboard looks like FWD. And a proper sequential gearbox? Is it a true S1600 car?
No BMWs etc. in the field?

Congrats! Keep it up! Awesome to see (again!) a member of RD doing it "for real" and with success!
To say it with my NR 2003 spotter: Keep diggin' ^^

Proper question: Is your Polo a 2WD car? And not changed to RWD? Onboard looks like FWD. And a proper sequential gearbox? Is it a true S1600 car?
No BMWs etc. in the field?

I am in the Supernational- class. Meaning adjusted cars with 2L or smaller engines. But basically everything is 2L.

My Polo has a 2.0L engine and is a FWD. with a 1.6L engine I could also start in Super 1600. But now you could mostly compare it with as being a kitcar.
- The gearbox is a 5-speed sequential dogbox with technique from SQS. The casing is actually original part.
- The rear axle is actually a copy of the Golf4 kitcar, build by OTS.
- The front triangles are also fabricated by OTS.
- Front dampers are 2-way Reiger. And rear are KW, also 2-way if I remember correctly.

In Supernational+ (above 2.0L) there are mostly RWD cars, including BMW, Volvo, Impreza.
In Supernational- there is a combination of FWD and RWD cars. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. This time there was a 1-series BMW, but also a Fiesta (Mandy Kasse) which is RWD. Mandy's Fiesta is originally a RX Touring Car spec that priviously also competed in the European Championship. The Fiesta of Fabienne is a Super 1600 actually.
Supernational regs actually allow to change the drivelines, so can put a RWD driveline in a FWD car. So quite open regulations.

More footage later on my YouTube channel.

Haha. I checked that you are from Norway. Would love to race at Hell (one of my most favorite tracks from DiRT) in the European Championship and the other RX tracks there around aswell :D

Well, as a Norwegian RX-nut. Mr.Rallycross, Martin Schanche is obviously my childhood hero. He was amazing at the small Belgian tracks, Valkenswaard and Lydden Hill. So logic dictates that I love those tracks as well.

This 14 year old YT video of me doing RX at Valkenswaard in rF1 being the closest I've ever gotten to the track :p

Well, as a Norwegian RX-nut. Mr.Rallycross, Martin Schanche is obviously my childhood hero. He was amazing at the small Belgian tracks, Valkenswaard and Lydden Hill. So logic dictates that I love those tracks as well.

This 14 year old YT video of me doing RX at Valkenswaard in rF1 being the closest I've ever gotten to the track :p

Well, basically you racing the track like it should with a 4wd or rwd :D So that is a good start.

Imagine driving that many races on Valkenswaard!
Now you only need to do Duivelsberg and Glosso (if they still exist), and you'll complete the historic Euro RX Benelux(minus Lux) trio of tracks! I am jealous! :p

Imagine driving that many races on Valkenswaard!
Now you only need to do Duivelsberg and Glosso (if they still exist), and you'll complete the historic Euro RX Benelux(minus Lux) trio of tracks! I am jealous! :p

Duivelsberg was closed, but got a new permit.
Glosso reopened in 2022 :)
Eurocircuit got also new future permits.

I try next year to do a European event, so maybe Estering (RallyX Nordic) or maybe Loheac or Druex in France. But so far no budget :(

Car being rebuild for 2024
1699113775814.png

Duivelsberg was closed, but got a new permit.
Glosso reopened in 2022 :)
Eurocircuit got also new future permits.

I try next year to do a European event, so maybe Estering (RallyX Nordic) or maybe Loheac or Druex in France. But so far no budget :(

Noice!
I may, or may not have some of those tracks for rF...
1699114409263.png

Estering in RallyX? Do you confuse it with some other championship, or do you know something I don't? :p I know they have been in talks with "organizers in Germany", but don't know if anything is signed yet.

Estering is nice though, proper old school. I am of the opinion that they have made Höljes too tarmac-y on the gravel as well lately :/

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back