(My) OSW wheel modifications/build

Upgrading to an custom built 80/20 rig and OSW about a year ago I'll decided to start a thread about my modifications and built of my different steering wheels.

My first wheel was bought at Sim Racing Coach, GT-1. Have been using for over an year and +1000 hours and it worked very well, well worth its price, never failed me once.

This rim is 320mm in diameter (the current version at SRC uses real carbon fiber)
_20181004_080019.JPG

The only modification done is an spacer 10mm to the shifter plate, after a few 100 hours I had to glue the suede as the stitching was worn. No other issues after that.
_20181004_075928.JPG

Normally, I disable the steering wheel in all sims so the only issue was some cars had major info in the steering wheel or sometimes it was difficult to setup without the rim blocking the view (DTM style cars).

So, after a rather positive review at SRG I decided to buy the wheel in next post.

Last edited:
I ordered this wheel at Speed Max Racing, with matching quick release, red stitching and custom USB cable.

This wheel has an diameter of 280mm (picture before delivery)
speedmaxracing_gt_wheel.jpg

Actually the number of buttons was to low, but as similar wheels (with smaller diameter) had more buttons, I took my chances that I could modify this to my liking as the pricing was right.

When I got the wheel I noticed it uses an OSH so any configuration is possible
bttn_new.PNG

With the software any configuration is possible, AI filtering and bite setup can be set. As this is open source it is possible to add custom functions, if needed.

First I was a bit disappointed, build quality was ok but if you running an OSW and want the FFB to be a bit stronger this wheel is not for you unless you ready to modify it. Wheel is very light and the 3D printed details are not up to it in the longer run IMO.

At first the grip felt a bit small and as well the diameter was rather small, but as I have modify it it started to be OK the more I got use to it. Still I have some plans how to make a bit thicker grip but maybe (most likely) I leave it as it is.

First (as planned) I exchanged the encoders to Leo Bodnar (as on the SRC wheel) with push buttons, new switches and upgraded audio potentiometers.
_20181004_080643.JPG

Using audio potentiometers, the curve is not linear that gives an better resolution.
logpot.PNG

To make room for more switches I modified the panel shield and wheel base
_20181004_080602.JPG

Also added the existing switched as side ones:
_20181004_080426.JPG

Wheel modification done:
_20181004_080507.JPG

To gain some weight (and more solid) I replaced the 3D printed adapter with an bigger alu one:
_20181004_080146.JPG

All cables was solder and connected to the existing PCB, flexible card by 3Drap
_20181004_080357.JPG

Existing 3D printed spacers was also replaced by alu to make the installation more solid, after that new encoder and switches was mounted.
_20181004_080108.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Using SimHub, I made an panel with suitable resolution replacing most used apps for better immersion (to be shared at RD).
simhub.PNG

(bad picture, to be replaced) Shows delta, standings, fuel and other basic stuff I normally enable apps to see. This will enable me to disable in-game apps most of the times.

Further on I plan to get the sticker to label the wheel correct
osw_stickers.PNG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First I had an plan to use the base of the SMR wheel for a new wheel but as it turned out rather well I decided to make a new one in parallel. The new one is based around the OMP DTM style wheel, it has been ordered but received yet. Basic layout based on available pictures.

Diameter is 315mm, will be adjusted to real life wheel as it arrives
omp_pic.PNG

Will be using same USBD480 display and OSH as the SMR wheel, Ascher shifters and Leo Bodnar encoders. Everything has been ordered but as it is a mixed from Finland, Germany, UK, China & Hong Kong, it will take a month or so before I get all items.

Preliminary layout (rim only very basic modeled, not my cup of tea)
Assembly_Test.jpg

Front will be an custom carbon plate that will be designed in a week or so when the I get the actual wheel, back plate and others most likely be carbon plates as well.

To be continued... :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you Johnny, very nice build you have done.

I have got all the material now, but still working on the design when I have time, so far it looks like this, front and back will be carbon fiber:
upload_2018-11-28_20-12-10.png

Back is very much work in progress, have just started
upload_2018-11-28_20-12-47.png

Have also designed an PCB to have small dimensions and easy connections to all button/encoders, should arrive in December:
upload_2018-11-28_20-14-9.png

In front of PCB there will be an small USB hub as well so there only one USB cable to connect.
Will design some 3D printed covers on the back.

Have worked on SimHub dash to show the basic info I need during the race. Have the overlays/apps switch off and only pops one up sometimes or just use Helicorsa in AC. Have also an display variant without gear for H pattern cars or when the gear is shown in the car display.

upload_2018-11-28_20-31-31.png

I hope I can order the carbon plates and 3D parts in December but I doubt the wheel will get ready this year.

Upvote 0
So finally I have got some time to get further with my wheel, the current layout:

Assembly_2.jpg

Assembly_1.jpg

The plan is to use 3D printed covers for the front and back, all loaded areas will be aluminium or steel.
The front and back cover have an grove that should allow an even alignment.

The inside is open for easy cable management, seen is also the custom pcb and usb hub board.
Assembly_3.jpg

As seen, have added an extra finger button on the side.
Assembly_4.jpg

Now is the pcb is mounted in the back plate, but I'm looking at re-design it so everything is mounted in the wheel plate as it will be easier when mounting the steering wheel.

Still notice how light the dtm wheel is, as it base is made out of aluminium as well.

Closer now, hope to order the carbon fiber and 3D printed parts during January :)

Upvote 0
Thank you Johnny, very nice build you have done.

I have got all the material now, but still working on the design when I have time, so far it looks like this, front and back will be carbon fiber:
View attachment 279787

Back is very much work in progress, have just started
View attachment 279788

Have also designed an PCB to have small dimensions and easy connections to all button/encoders, should arrive in December:
View attachment 279789

In front of PCB there will be an small USB hub as well so there only one USB cable to connect.
Will design some 3D printed covers on the back.

Have worked on SimHub dash to show the basic info I need during the race. Have the overlays/apps switch off and only pops one up sometimes or just use Helicorsa in AC. Have also an display variant without gear for H pattern cars or when the gear is shown in the car display.

View attachment 279791

I hope I can order the carbon plates and 3D parts in December but I doubt the wheel will get ready this year.

I like your dash lay out. Been looking for one that shows exactly that info in one view. Would like to test it out.

Also, great wheel design! Will keep following your progress.

Upvote 0
Now I'm done designing all elements of the wheel, much the same on front just checking that all screws fit correct:

upload_2019-1-14_10-54-10.png

On the back all internal spacers and details are done as well, as a first step everything related to the cover will be 3D printed, but could later be machined in aluminum as well if needed. Have also added a spacer for the shifter paddle if I find out it's needed later on, but I hope it's on a suitable distance already.

upload_2019-1-14_10-56-24.png

Inside both the PCB and mini USB hub is mounted to the wheel side using 3D printed adapters. Have also tried to check that the connector will fit inside. The cable will just enter in bottom and fixed with an zip tie, work very well on my other wheel, and is less bulky.

upload_2019-1-14_11-0-21.png

The first wheel I hade with the USBD480 display, the supplied USB hub could not handle the traffic and freezed randomly. I have now replaced it with another USB mini hub but have a 3rd one I plan to use in this wheel. However, if it turns out this new USB hub do not work well, I have also design a bracket to be used with that one as well. With this USB hub, the top screw in the quick release will be countersunk and only mounted in the backplate, but that should be no problem as it will be 3mm carbon fiber as well.

upload_2019-1-14_11-3-32.png

With this construction, I can mount the front, OSH pcb and USB hub, connect all cables and then put on the back cover. Then only the shifters needs to be connect that is mounted on the backplate and finally screw the quick release. Will also be rather easy to open and access the OSH hardware to update the firmware if ever needed (or any other service).

I have now contacted the company that I hope can help me manufacturing the carbon and 3D printed parts. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So now we closer, I ordered the carbon and 3D printed parts and it took about 2 days, but shipping and customs took about 2 weeks :)

So a little test to confirm it might fit, back cover seen top left as well:
upload_2019-1-30_18-24-6.png

Just holding by hand, but the front/rear have an nice fit with groove I did. The other 3D printed parts for mounting seen in the plastic bag in the background:
upload_2019-1-30_18-19-58.png

Have mounted the OSH hardware on my custom PCB, managed to flash the firmware and load the application as well. Tested all inputs using a extra encoder I had removed from another wheel and with a button switch. Everything was working according to plan :geek:
upload_2019-1-30_18-23-24.png

This will be the maximum input of the board, encoder and analog inputs can be changed to buttons if needed. Any unused button will be set to "Not Used" later on.
upload_2019-1-30_18-28-54.png

One nice feature is that each board can have an custom name that will be seen in the device manager, most likely I'll need to create different profiles for each wheel.
upload_2019-1-30_18-31-9.png

Unfortunately my China USB mini hub did not work, not sure if it got broken by me soldering the cable or if it did not work from the beginning (was around 2 euros). As I did suspect it could happen (the other USB mini hub in my other wheel did not manage the SimHub traffic), I have made a bracket for the new hub I'm using in the other wheel (20 euros shipped). Ordered this one and got it today as well. So I be using the same hub in this wheel.
upload_2019-1-30_18-35-35.png

Hopefully I have the time to mount the wheel during the weekend :):geek::thumbsup:

Upvote 0
So have mounted the wheel, first I needed to drill the wheel pattern and countersink the holes, and thread the M3 in th 50mm pattern. The base is aluminium so it was quite easy.
upload_2019-2-6_23-57-13.png

Some holes needed to be countersunk in the front carbon fiber plate as well
upload_2019-2-6_23-59-6.png

Soldered all the cables on the encoder and switches
upload_2019-2-7_0-0-53.png

Switches mounted in front carbon plate, together with the 3D printed frame. I have ordered all switches from china and same supplier, but the black ones had this sponge feeling without tactical feedback (like the similar buttons on my other wheel). The other ones have a nice little tactical feedback so I decided to only use them and skip the black button.

upload_2019-2-7_0-6-12.png

So here we have a bit fast forward and the wheel is mounted, later I have mounted the 5mm spacer on the shifter pedals.
upload_2019-2-7_0-7-22.png

Upper side, the back cover had a very nice fit. The top nut of the quick release had to be left out due to the use of the alternative USB hub.
upload_2019-2-7_0-9-22.png

Details of the buttons, front plate and the 3D printed frame/cover.
upload_2019-2-7_0-12-32.png

Front view of the wheel
upload_2019-2-7_0-13-57.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So now I have tested the wheel for a couple of days, as with my other wheel I realy like the open top and the wheel display. This minimize the use of other apps or overlays, less is more :)
upload_2019-2-7_0-16-52.png

I will take the weight of all wheels later on, but this is around the same as my other 280mm wheel. So far the change in tactical FFB is noticeable. The other wheel was when I got use to it, ok but IMO the handles was a little bit to thin and you could sometimes feel it was not solid even after I have mod it.

So next up is a small change by adding 2 more encoders, i'm here using same knobs but a smaller encoder with a push button. This to be mapped with some seldom used functions (ARB's) in rF2. This gives me a total of 32 button function on this wheel.
upload_2019-2-7_0-22-26.png

I have got the encoders, knobs and plan to mount them this weekend, also replacing the USB cable as I using a temporary one now.

Have also ordered a custom layout of sim stickers so I get them to my liking, they will arrive in estimated 2 weeks or so.
upload_2019-2-7_0-26-24.png

I have some ideas on a new wheel, but let's do this one all done first :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, now the wheel is close to be finished. Had to adjust the holes for the center encoder as
they a bit tight. Here we can see why the frame is needed for the display:
upload_2019-2-13_23-49-19.png

Well, the cables a mess.... Maybe have been better not to twist them:
upload_2019-2-13_23-50-54.png

The benefit of a back cover, it's all hidden :D First I used a short USB and a extension 700mm.
But for some reason it did not work well. I suspect this solution was limiting the the current supply.
upload_2019-2-13_23-55-15.png

So I had to use a longer cable but "hide" a part of it inside the cover.... well it works :rolleyes:
Will search and see if I can find a cable in the 700mm range.
upload_2019-2-13_23-57-48.png

So here we can see the encoders mounted, the nut can be seen as I did not manage
to get exactly how I liked but it's not seen from the front.
upload_2019-2-14_0-1-44.png

The custom labels are shipped, so with some luck I can mount them this weekend or during next week.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The labels have now been mounted, they are mostly correct for rF2 and AMS.
With AC few buttons have other functions (mostly MGU/KERS related).

upload_2019-2-17_19-18-11.png

So far the wheel have been working great, nice thick grip and solid FFB feedback.

In my opinion the performance, grip and solid feel over my older 3D printed/carbon wheel is very
noticeable, so my thoughts right now is using a real formula style wheel and recycle some part from
the old wheel to keep cost down a bit. Also looking at a way to make the pedal clutches to work with
adjustable bite point, as it's not easy adjusted now, it was never used.

With my first round GT wheel, the open frame GT wheel and a formula sized wheel I should be ok :D

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back