My First (Simracing) Car

Like so many others old farts - I got sucked into driving games with REVS in the mid 80´s on the Commodore 64. Standard controller with two buttons and a stick... was awesome, and... well then there was - and also... and then... and here I am almost 35 years later - and waiting for ACC.

I often think how the reaction would be, if you could take today´s accolade sims back 35 years, and show them to the developers back then.... Look how it will become in 35 years guys...

f1 championship sega cd, if you mean before that it had to be ayrton senna monaco gp standup arcarde, and only cause we were feeding it nickles instead of quarters.

My first sim was Richard Burns Rally (on the PS2! :confused:), recieved as a Christmas present the year it came out. So naturally, my first sim car was the Subaru from that game.
maxresdefault.jpg

If we're going for circuit racing cars, then I picked up EA's F1 2001 (the superior PC version) at the bargain shop afterwards - first thing I drove was Alonso's Minardi at Sepang

26C870DB00000578-2999704-image-a-47_1427047756921.jpg

Wow this post really made me think. I've been playing racing games from a young age but I think my first proper sim experience was in the Mosler MT500R in the gtr evolution demo, or at least that was the car that made me want a wheel and Race07 and its expansions. That car on whatever track the demo had got me hooked. I crashed repeatedly using a keyboard until I managed to actually go around the track successfully.

Before that I played some racing games that were sim-like, but hardly realistic. There was Codies 1nsane, Grid 1, Xpand Rally, and early Gran Turismos. I had fun with those but once I tried a proper sim I couldn't look back. It has actually ruined my appreciation of arcade games with the exception of Mario Kart like games and destruction durby type games.

Personally, although I can remember trying (and basically failing) to enjoy racing games on my ZX Spectrum, the first sim to really make a permanent impression on me was the arcade classic Race Drivin' (by Atari).
Jeeeez, that was in a universe all of its own. It not only had fairly sensible physics, but a force-feedback wheel, plus three pedals and a 4-way shifter. Unreal!
My university had one, and I used to play far too much of it when I was meant to be in lectures. Myself and a pal got so quick that we could make 50p (yeah it was very pricey for ~1990!) last indefinitely - eventually fatigue or loo stops would be required after an hour or so.
At least, I reckoned we were pretty damn fast until I jumped onto another one while passing through Las Vegas a year or two later and... I guess it was tuned up a little differently, and I lasted less than 5 minutes! :D
After that, well I'll always have a soft spot for CMR2 (I owned an FFB wheel by that time and it just felt so real).

Sticking to pc on this definition, my first sim car was a BMW M3 on Sports Car GT. What I remember the most is having a crap pc that could hardly handle the game; so I had to have to play with low graphic settings to race against the ai, or ok-ish settings to practice alone. Unfortunately while I still had that game I one day gained reliable internet access, resulting in my introduction to mods for the game and then my pc racing life was ruined!

ok that was exaggerated, but really Sports Car GT is the game that made me first wonder, "why are there so many Porsches in this race?"

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.