My First (Simracing) Car

Grand Prix - Stoddard.jpg

Where it all started for me... and where for you?

I can still remember that moment very clearly. It was late summer, 2002, and my copy of Grand Prix Legends had just arrived at my local store. I waited two full weeks for it, something unconceivable today where everything is shipped even across the world in a matter of days, if not hours depending on the product. Those were probably some of the longest weeks of my life, daydreaming all the time about all the things I wanted to do in what I later discovered had to be my first simracing game.

Mind you, I was just a boy, twelve years old then, whose spark about cars was ignited thanks to the classic “Grand Prix” movie. My father had a VHS of it, which I literally wiped out for how many times I watched it. How old I was when it happened, it is still a matter of discussion to this very day, but we agree that I was not older than five when I first saw that film.

Thus, I was waiting and waiting for my GPL disc to arrive, browsing in the meantime through pictures of the game and reading through the manual written for it, “Four Wheel Drift”. Can you imagine?

I went to collect my copy. My father was kind enough to let me install it and play it on his PC, because mine, an old Pentium 166 MHz, could not run it at all. I created my profile, chose my helmet colour, and picked up my drive.

The BRM P115.

gplc67 #1.jpg

Why, you ask? Why not the Ferrari 312? I do not really know. I guess that “Grand Prix” played a role in this too. I always liked the character of Scott Stoddard in the movie, and that maybe was the reason why I decided to drive that first. It was heavy, it was understeering everywhere, it had a noisy engine, more fit for truck driving and delivering F1 cars, rather than powering one, but I loved every single moment of it.

I kept driving the BRM for months on end, and it was where my simracing story really started. It was difficult, to learn for the first time how to drive to the limit, how to cope with other drivers competing, in a vehicle like that. However, I did, and as I was saying, I just loved every moment. In the end, I switched to the Ferrari, and stayed with it in the game to this very day, but I owe so much to that iconic British bulldog. I have so many fond memories with that lovely car, and I am so happy that it was with it that all this began.

gplc67 #2.jpg

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Which was the first car you drove in a sim, any sim? Why did you chose that in particular? Was it fun, was it hard, do you have any unforgettable memories of it? How everything simracing related started for you?

I would really love to hear about it, in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Caterham in Race 07 (I think there was a Caterham Expansion that included them?)
I pretty much learned how to drive in the various versions of the Seven on Monza, so I was ready when Assetto Corsa was released:)

My very first was REVS on a C64 if I recall. But the one that got me loving it the most was IndyCar 2 on my first PC. 486DX I think.

Then the Geoff Crammond series. GP4 being the ultimate for me.
Here, once again for those new to it. A small video I made taken on an old phone years ago.

I think it was f1 '98 or '99 back when i was 7.
I've been Driving the Ferraris all day:D

My Passion for Virtual Racing began early;)

well i always love racing games, mostly nfs series wich was really good like nfs hot pursuit with night cycle, then i try gtr series but as child without a proper wheel didnt enjoy sim racing until i try Assetto Corsa just amazing

Grand tourismo (1) on the PS1 (maybe not really a sim, but very fun none the less). I have it still laying around somewhere. I played it probely around 2000 or something with my little brother and my dad.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 214 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 272 13.4%