WIP Mount Autobahn

Is there an end? I got way passed the dirt road and it still goes on and on and on...

Also there are a couple of Qlog problems I'll sort out and post a fix.

If you keep going you'll find a second roundabout with 2 exits which continue on for a short distance then stop. Great track, would like to see it completed :)

If you keep going you'll find a second roundabout with 2 exits which continue on for a short distance then stop. Great track, would like to see it completed :)

The idea was that the track would be point-to-point circuit if you like... so you drive from one point to the other, then turn around (on the roundabout) and drive back. :)

Another unfinished track, by Some1 lol Its not bad really (I was having some fun in the War Malt parking with my Omni GLH-T lol)

and Whippy your right, good base to work for someone else.

This track is a perfect example of why we rarely see finished tracks. We always set our sights far too big :D

If this could be looped around so it's just that intersection and then the country road, so like two circles that figure 8 at the intersection, one loop is highway, the other is single lane... make it just a few km square!?

As much as point to point is cool, you really need something at each end to break it up. This has the cool petrol station/intersection/shops, but we need something at the other end to make you feel like it's not just a roundabout to get to just to drive back again to make a loop.

Don't take these as crits in a bad way. It's a nice project. I'm just seeing how it's so reflective of so much stuff I have planned/started over the years but never finished simply because I set my sights far too high :D

Dave

This track is a perfect example of why we rarely see finished tracks. We always set our sights far too big :D

Well, I wouldn't say my "sights were too big"... People have completed much bigger projects almost single handedly.

For me, it all came down to the fact that I just don't have time to do it! I have to go to work and school and the little free time I have left I need to divide between personal life, programming and modeling. Tracks take usually more time than cars, so I will put my modeling time into my Corvette project.

I wish I won the jackpot on the lottery, so I would not have to go to work or school and could model and program full time :)

I still think that it is better to release an unfinished project than let a potentially nice project die and vanish into the depths of one's hard drive.

Yeah deffo. Best to release even if it's not finished!

But really, your sights were too big for the time you would need to invest to finish it, I think that is a problem. I will admit I am guilty of it too. To finish a big project in your own time would need dedication to just that project, and then it's not fun any more, and that is then pointless...
But a small project might not even ignite your imagination to even bother starting it...

The solution is to work in a communal way I guess. Set some specs for poly levels and texture count, shaders etc, and just give people a space to build within...

Ie, if we generated a spline outline for elements in your max file, then we could simply provide users with the existing textures/shaders, and say 'put a shop building in that space, possibly a McDonalds' :D

I dunno. Then we get people all putting in the bits they are good at doing or want to do.

It'd be cool to set one up, but then one persons time may be more being a manager/organiser of something without actually making anything hehe...

Would be cool to make something of this track. I think the highway is not really that appealing for me. I like the country road stretch. If that just looped back around to the town and was figure eighted it'd be pretty sweet :D

Dave

Yeah deffo. Best to release even if it's not finished!

But really, your sights were too big for the time you would need to invest to finish it, I think that is a problem. I will admit I am guilty of it too. To finish a big project in your own time would need dedication to just that project, and then it's not fun any more, and that is then pointless...
But a small project might not even ignite your imagination to even bother starting it...

The solution is to work in a communal way I guess. Set some specs for poly levels and texture count, shaders etc, and just give people a space to build within...

Ie, if we generated a spline outline for elements in your max file, then we could simply provide users with the existing textures/shaders, and say 'put a shop building in that space, possibly a McDonalds' :D

I dunno. Then we get people all putting in the bits they are good at doing or want to do.

It'd be cool to set one up, but then one persons time may be more being a manager/organiser of something without actually making anything hehe...

Would be cool to make something of this track. I think the highway is not really that appealing for me. I like the country road stretch. If that just looped back around to the town and was figure eighted it'd be pretty sweet :D

Dave
I actually agree this is a sort of communal project would be great. Somebody would have to spend a little more time organizing it of course. I think at that intersection seeing like a multistory car park, and a fast food restaurant (with drive through of course) would be good. Then that part way out past the freeway, where there isn't land yet, put houses with large plots of lands, fences, hedges, etc.

My idea on the roads is why not just make the highway portion like a loop around the entire place, and then we could put in more roadways inside of that loop. Could then put in some Suburbia roads, industrial area, business area, etc.

Of course these are just ideas in my head. lol

I've somewhat considered making a track a couple times, this is around where my thinking had got to - I was planning on basically drawing out the course, and then putting a model/texture threshold based on distance from the course. Objects on/next to the track would have model details down to 2-3cm, while the far distance viewables (skyline) would essentially be only modeling features 10s of meters wide, like single quads for building facades, with appropriate textures. LODs of the objects would follow similar trends, so that as you got farther from the high-detail objects they would regress to lower levels of detail appropriate for the distance.

What mostly stops me from doing it is I don't like making textures that much, and a track's going to have a whole lot of different textures to manage.

:D

Factory test track wasn't really a failure, it was as good as finished really.

It just needs a good round of optimisation/LOD'ing and stuff, and setup for the current GFX system.

I'd really love to get AO maps into Racer on a secondary UVW channel, just to add some depth to certain elements (ie, large repeating texture areas etc)

Hmmm

Dave

:D

Factory test track wasn't really a failure, it was as good as finished really.

It just needs a good round of optimisation/LOD'ing and stuff, and setup for the current GFX system.

I'd really love to get AO maps into Racer on a secondary UVW channel, just to add some depth to certain elements (ie, large repeating texture areas etc)

Hmmm

Dave

AO = ambient occlusion? If that is static, then it Time Of Day won't work very well...

AO technically, is just the occlusion of ambient light, which roughly stays fairly consistent.

You generate it by the geometrical occlusion of faces to open space in most cases.

So it's kinda like the shading in corners where light doesn't get.

You then multiply your ambient term by the map intensity, so it kinda shades ambient lit areas.

Diffuse lighting can then light fully without the AO influence (or some very very subtle AO influence multiplication as technically AO is still evident in full diffuse light, just very very subtle (to the point you probably won't notice, so actually best to save the processing power and not do it in most cases))

In theory you could get more accurate AO by baking the ambience, so a bright white building would illuminate a shaded area, but then yes, that would be limited to a fixed TOD... but it would look very nice :D

With a colour map AO layer you could also add in colour tints off buildings etc :D

Iirc, gtpdiz(sp?) posted some images of that in practice a fair while back (light maps)

Cheers

Dave

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back