WIP Mount Autobahn

I wish there was some way to take care of this QLOG warning without moving all the grid positions to the start of the track, it's nice having cars starting all over but dumps a warning for each car every second or so.
Sat Oct 15 18:21:20 (WARN): [racer/7656] Car lexusls400 telemetry distance less than -1km; is there a grid position that starts AFTER start/finish (=first spline)?

Was hoping I could figure out traffic but there doesn't seem to be much documentation for that feature yet. Is it more obvious in TrackEd or something?

I wish there was some way to take care of this QLOG warning without moving all the grid positions to the start of the track, it's nice having cars starting all over but dumps a warning for each car every second or so.

Was hoping I could figure out traffic but there doesn't seem to be much documentation for that feature yet. Is it more obvious in TrackEd or something?

I guess there isn't... you have to live with this warning until somebody successfully implements traffic on this track :)

Great work Some1, but it's unfinished...so I would rate it 3/5...

What's good : shaders, real nice UV layout, smooth road curvature, surface defs, your assets...
Next time, I'll hope to see something finished from you as I've been doing it, sure takes time, will, determination & knowledge...& you have all skills to do it easily !

Your track was debugged with G25, surround gaming config & Racer 0.8.32, ATI Graphics...works perfectly & I have a good fps rate with CSM & all features on !

I'll see if I'll update it...:)

Great work Some1, but it's unfinished...so I would rate it 3/5...

What's good : shaders, real nice UV layout, smooth road curvature, surface defs, your assets...
Next time, I'll hope to see something finished from you as I've been doing it, sure takes time, will, determination & knowledge...& you have all skills to do it easily !

Your track was debugged with G25, surround gaming config & Racer 0.8.32, ATI Graphics...works perfectly & I have a good fps rate with CSM & all features on !

I'll see if I'll update it...:)

I released it so somebody else could finish it :) I just don't have the time...

If I remember correctly the "Old styyle traffic" used multiple cars in the racer.ini file and they appeared randomly scattered on the track. There was a variable that made them random.

With the grid scattered as it is in your track you don't need the old style trafffic with the reversed splines, but it does throw that Qlog error.

No problem as it can be done however suits the user until Ruud tells us how to implement his traffic.

If I remember correctly the "Old styyle traffic" used multiple cars in the racer.ini file and they appeared randomly scattered on the track. There was a variable that made them random.

Are you sure? I'm not very sure that was the case. I think you just specified, from which cars the AI could pick the opponents and they still started from the starting grid, wherever that was. My starting grid was scattered all over the track :)

I'd like to see the instructions for the traffic.

Has anyone had a nosey around all the files in the release, to see if the info is in there, or the system can be determined.

Ie, the new 'damage' system is kinda usable if you look at the shaders to see how it's implemented there first, if that makes sense :D

Dave

Ie, the new 'damage' system is kinda usable if you look at the shaders to see how it's implemented there first, if that makes sense :D
Huh, have you got it working? When I look in dyn_standard_bump_reflect_damaged_f.cg, it basically looks like this:
layer0: base texture as usual
layer1: bumpmap texture
layer2: envmap
layer3: control map - red channel ranges from 0 to 1 to describe how damaged the car is.
layer4: damaged base texture
layer5: damaged bump texture
Layers 0, 1, 4, 5 should all be predrawn to suit - layer2 would be $trackenvmap, and if it's functional, layer3 would be $cardamagemap or something...
I'd also expect a similar flag like tangents=1 in the car.shd to be required, to tell it to generate the damage map at all.

Of course, it should be functional with a static controlmap too...
S4sCv.jpg

Seems to run fine that way, but would be better if it used the real control map, whatever it's called. There are some gaps around where the texture's not mapped continuously due to vertex offsets.

edit: took a look at the strings in racer.exe, not seeing anything (there's $trackenvmap, $tracksunmap, $mirror, $cubemap0, $cubemap1, $cubemap2, $normalizemap)

I've kinda got it working.

It doesn't seem to work as I expected it to.

I wanted to see something like Viper Racing where you get texture re-draw of scraped metal AND some vert movement, but it appears to just re-draw the areas that are hit by vert, with the new normal/bump texture information...

Not sure what the impact is on FPS, but I'd probably live without it to be honest... we shouldn't be crashing anyway ;)

Dave

The one thing to note with vertex movement is that it uses the damaged bump texture's alpha channel as a scale, on the RX-7 I just copied the regular one across which is 75% gray for the most part, so presumably is scaling by 0.75. If it's all black, there's no vertex movement. (one minor change I'd make to the shader is 'expanding' this value so it ranges from -1 to +1, letting us create outward bumps in damage)

To do the thing properly, I guess the damage bumpmap should be black in alpha along any texture seams, so it doesn't move the vertices around there, but then shift to white in the middle of panels so they can take dents.

Magic immovable black lines would look odd for bigger hits imo. We need separate panels that can also push&go over/under adjacent ones! :p
And the chassis needs to be bendable! (In Carmageddon 2 IIRC, cars could be broken in half! Though IDK if the damage was dynamic at all, it has been a long time)

Some1,
code from racer.ini for multiple cars and the instructions for the old style traffic. In the "race" section.

; Total #cars expected (if >1, waits before showing graphics)
expected_cars=1
; Car setup
; Number of AI cars besides player car
ai_cars=0
ai_car=imp
; Multiple different AI cars
ai_car_multiple=
; ai_car_multiple=imp dune_master bugatti_veyron formcar tatra_613
ai
{
random_scenario=0

Attachments

• _traffic.7z
    2.4 KB · Views: 294
Some1,
code from racer.ini for multiple cars and the instructions for the old style traffic. In the "race" section.

; Total #cars expected (if >1, waits before showing graphics)
expected_cars=1
; Car setup
; Number of AI cars besides player car
ai_cars=0
ai_car=imp
; Multiple different AI cars
ai_car_multiple=
; ai_car_multiple=imp dune_master bugatti_veyron formcar tatra_613
ai
{
random_scenario=0

Hm, I was under the impression that "random_scenario" just selects random cars for the AI from "ai_car_multiple" not scatter them around the track. :)

Hello everyone. Just finally found the new forum after the crash on the RSC forum in 09'. (was a member there since 06'). I know its been 2 years. Have I been living under a rock or something? Nope just extremely busy with work and school and finally decided to jump back onto the band wagon again. Anyway, I'm a mac user and was wondering if there was any outlook on a non-CG version being released.

this track was a great idea! very fun to drive in, its huge (big plus), which makes you explore it every time you turn racer on
keep this great work going! my congratulations to everyone involved

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing