Modders of the past

During a recent cleanup, I came across a few CDs filled with mods for GP3, Rfactor,, F1 Challenge, F1 2000-2002.
It got me thinking....."Where did all the old-school modders end up?"
I remember one guy in particular...Ralph Hummerich who was freakin' brilliant.
He transformed a few of those titles.
There was Dennis Grebe on the track side of things...another brilliant mastermind.
Where are those guys today and are they still modding?

It would be interesting to know the average "life" of a modder or mod team. My own observations are

1) the best modders often end up working for a developer
2) modders and mod teams are often wedded to a particular game or game engine. The introduction of a new mod platform (such as AC) gives rise to a new set of modders, rather than the previous generation of rF1 modders switching to AC. Of course there are always exceptions and mod teams who charge for mods are less "tied" to specific games.

Ralph Hummerich works(ed) for SMS, did skins for Project Cars 1 and PC2
loved his car sets for GP4 and F1 series

Attachments

• Hum.jpg
    Hum.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
It would be interesting to know the average "life" of a modder or mod team. My own observations are

1) the best modders often end up working for a developer
2) modders and mod teams are often wedded to a particular game or game engine. The introduction of a new mod platform (such as AC) gives rise to a new set of modders, rather than the previous generation of rF1 modders switching to AC. Of course, there are always exceptions, and mod teams who charge for mods are less "tied" to specific games.

Some modders of the 2000s ended as developers or designers. In my country (Spain), a guy called Carlos Frau works for Mak Corporation. Raulongo worked for ISI and painted the BMW Sauber 2006 car. Cristian Luis (from Constrictor Modding Team) received a job offer from an important sim-racing company after 13 years of modding. I cannot mention what company it is because he rejected the offer to get an important job near where he lives. In his own words, he loves modding as it is: his hobby, and if he wanted to pursue a career, he would have studied modeling and messing up with stuff in Assetto Corsa or rFactor2 rather than that being part of F1C until 2020, and still.

The guy also rejected a chance to join a startup for building a new sim based on the rFactor game engine.

Edit 06/12/2021: now he works for an international videogame company.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back