Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Outstanding work heli!!! I am so impressed again, finally got my 8020 done after stealing several of your ideas mate but now I have to steal some more! ie. Tow strap lol.
I've gone all self contained too with just USB cables and a single power cord exiting the rig but my next move will be to mount the pc on the front to make it totally portable. Brilliant work man just Stella! Soooo...... New video soon?

Thanks! What kind of video?

Hello
What is this model in motedis shop ?
Thanks

I ordered from 8020 in the US. I'm not sure what the motedis equivalents are.

SKU: 40-4388 40 Series 90 Degree Structural Pivot Nub
SKU: 40-4387 40 Series 0 Degree Structural Pivot Nub
SKU: 40-4396 40 Series Standard Straight Structural Pivot Arm
SKU: 14018 40 Series 2 Hole - Pivot Joint
SKU: 40-8020 80mm X 20mm T-Slotted Profile - Two Adjacent Open T-Slots

I ordered a 10" piece of the 80mm x 20mm profile.

My next project is a more VR friendly button box. I've ordered a Leo Bodnar 64 input board and a pile of switch gear. Larger switches, big buttons etc.. That will likely be a work in progress for a couple months at least. Some of the parts won't be here until mid-October. I was impressed with the workmanship of @HoiHman and I'm trying to come up with something of similar quality that works well for my rig. I'll rough prototype with cardboard and then create a working prototype with 1/4" plywood. I have large carbon fiber look decal material, pin striping and a label maker, but may eventually have something laser cut and etched. I'm not sure how obsessive I'll get about it.

FWIW, I did find out that at least iRacing and AC support a 64 input board. So likely ACC as well. I expect to keep the basic controls on the first 32 inputs anyway and will probably put more iRacing specific on the second 32 inputs if I need that many. I'm starting off with the basics that I use a lot with the expectation that I'll be using the PSE GT3 wheel most of the time and use the buttons and knobs on that for most things I'll need frequently.

This will likely be a very slow iterative process, so it may go a while between updates.

Hopefully my wheel will arrive this week, but I haven't received a shipping email yet.

I'm thinking about getting a laminator. Combined with my color laser printer and matt finish pockets I think I could come up with some pretty nice looking button box face plates.

Last edited:
It's funny how long you deal with an issue before doing something about it. There never seemed to be a good place to put my VR headset and I would frequently set it on the floor face down and have it fall flat just out of reach. Since I'm still enjoying my 4 point seat belt to feel the motion better, this has been a point of occasional frustration.

I looked around for a hinged headphone hangar that I could mount to my rig and have fold out of the way and found this one that I think worked pretty well. I did have to build a mount for it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQ334GJ/

headsethangar_4294.jpg
headsethangar_4295.jpg
headsethangar_4290.jpg

I just found out that my PSE GT3 wheel is almost done will be tested over the weekend and shipped on Monday! So I'll finally get to try out my SC2 Pro!!!.

Last edited:
I was just given this link for a headphone hangar that doesn't require building any sort of mount for it and will bolt up to 8020 profile out of the box. So if you don't have a shop, this should work great! It's also a 3 pack for $10. https://www.ikea.com/de/de/p/bjaernum-haken-klappbar-aluminium-60152590/

And of course I can't leave anything alone. So I'm already on my 2nd iteration mount. This will leave me more room for the vertical button box I plan to run down the left vertical piece of profile.
headsethangar_4297.jpg

This gives an overview and shows how everything falls to hand easily starting from the steering wheel.
headsethangar_4296.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg
Aaagh! I have the exact same issue with my VR and have pulled a muscle on several occasions. I'm yet to discover a solution as my left hand side has foot traffic so my right is taken up by everything else. When I'm in my rig the position its in now is too close and to far back for me to twist and pick it up and put it back when my harness is pulled tight. It's fine for storage but not when in use.

Since this hanger has a hinge and will fold up out of the way when you aren't using it, would that handle your foot traffic issue? It's pretty thin folded up.

The next very slow project has begun. Got a laminating machine and some matt finish pockets for the button box front so I can graphically make it anything I want. Lots of large VR friendly switch gear arriving over the next month.
ButtonBox_4314.jpg

buttonbox_4323.jpg

Last edited:
Nice I picked up a collective for the choppers adds a bit to the game

Which one did you get and how do you like it?

I expect I'll pick one up some day. I tend to use my gear in blocks. Lately my flight gear has been collecting dust unless I have friends over who would like to fly. Not only that but my focus has changed dramatically from Dirt Rally to iRacing so my h pattern shifter and hand brake aren't getting much love at the moment.

I officially replaced every last control from my original rig. Just found all the original boxes so I can re-box them and put wrapping paper on them for Christmas. It's been an interesting ride.

If someone had told me at the beginning of the year I would buy all new controls I would have told them they were crazy!

20191001_084644.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back