Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

In addition I raised the level of the pedals by 1.5" using new 40x40 pieces and joining plates.
Bottom supports were added to attach a dedicated 15A outlet strip and for power supply support to handle any potential power supplies. Raising the pedal deck also makes it much easier to quickly run the USB cables from the flight gear to the USB hub.
PSwiring820.jpg

So those orange things are similar to quick releases? or the one used for bycicles wheels and seat?

You can pull them up and they disengage allowing free rotation. The levers are spring loaded and pull themselves back to being engaged as soon as the splines line up.

They do not clamp like a bicycle quick release. I did purchase some 8mm seat post quick releases, but they too long for this application and I haven't cut them down and created shims for them.

The levers below came with my P1 chassis and are for the pedal deck. The knobs below are what I've used to hold my flight pedals in place. The bicycle quick releases haven't found a use yet.

20190807_045657.jpg

One other thing worth mentioning is that if you want to prevent marking up your 8020 material, especially if you have black frame, you will want protection on the sliding surfaces.

The picture below shows 1/2" UHMW tape in place on the sliding part. So that when it is removed the 8020 frame looks clean. Also notice the T-Nuts are not the roll in or spring loaded variety. They are easy to start and slide.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00823JEOA
TnutTape_4217.jpg

This is the 2" wide tape I used on the underside of my pedal deck for the same reason.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00823JFAI

Edit: Just ordered some more 8020 stuff. I just can't leave this rig along.

Last edited:
This kind of info is very hard to find, and much appreciated. I've ordered the tape, and those levers from China. Do you have a link for the 8mm knobs? I like the extension rails to push the pedal assemble forward. I'll do the same, but still deciding how to combine with SFX acuators..

QUOTE="RCHeliguy, post: 3022899, member: 793755"]When it gets here I'll show you :) It arrives Monday.
I also ordered some 14mm 304 SS rod for good reason ( VR related ), and a few other things.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. Perhaps I should wait before buying more to see what you have in store????????

These are the 8mm x 30mm knobs.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KHTRNCM

I wasn't trying to build too much suspense. The following is coming on Monday.
8020 order.jpg

I recently moved my hand brake one profile width to the right so the bracket wouldn't interfere with my wheel deck which I've moved closer to the seat, however the hand brake placement isn't where I want it.

The 30 degree profile is to rotate my handbrake and move it back a bit from where it is in the picture below.

The controls on the right side of my rig are adjusted at an angle based on my right shoulder as a pivot point.
You can see the sequential shifter is counter rotated a bit and the h pattern shift is rotated clockwise. I want to rotate the hand brake a bit clockwise as well. I'm going to slightly recess the 30 degree profile edge a bit behind the 40x120mm vertical profile. The handbrake is a bit too far forward right now. The combination of the 30 degree profile and using two slotted angles that will allow me to pull the profile back a bit moving the handle at an angle to the left and back about an inch which will allow me to drop it a bit lower without interfering with the h pattern shift.
new30degreeprofil_4219.jpg

The swivels and side pieces are to reinforce the foot rest. I'll need to round the corners of the side pieces first since there will be a swivel on both sides. Currently I have a neoprene pad at the bottom of the foot rest where it leans against the foot plate. The adjustable angle isn't quite strong enough to hold angle if I press on it with my foot and it is back further than I want it. The swivels are each different parts, one has a horizontal slot rib and the other a vertical slot rib. They will allow me to set and hold the angle I want my foot rest to stay.

The 14mm dia aluminum rods will be the posts for something I will be replacing the headrest with. The only reason I have a headrest on my seat is to separate the shoulder belts. However I need the shoulder belts separated further apart and I would like to raise them so they hit my collar bones at a more comfortable angle.

The VR part of this is that since I got my Valve Index which has more structure on the back of your head I've had to reverse the headrest on my seat which to me looks stupid. That gave me the incentive to replace it. In addition, I want to add a loose drop in headset cable hangar with a lot of range. I also have some blue acrylic rod coming that I'm going to use for the seat belts to slide on, and to hold the headset cable. Acrylic bends easily when heated properly. I may use a bit of African Purple Heart for the structure that holds this together. I still have some design work to do on this.
headrest_4223.jpg

Last edited:
Really rough draft of my replacement for the headrest to hold my seat belt in place.
It lifts the seat belt off my shoulders and allows the seat belt to spead. It's a lot more comfortable.

The final design will be much more complex, prettier to look at and will include another feature.

20190813_150206.jpg

No more interference between my Valve Index headset and an unnecessary head rest!

The 14mm aluminum rods fit snuggly into the seat back. The acrylic rods are smooth for the shoulder belts to slide easily. The support holds the shoulder belts higher and wider than before making them more comfortable.

shoulderbeltsupport_4233.jpg

shoulderbeltsupport_4236.jpg

Last edited:
It funny how your needs change in this hobby. I've had a 3 pedal cluster for almost 2 years starting with the CS 3.0 pedals and then the Sprint pedals, but I had been living in Dirt Rally. Now that I'm getting into iRacing and driving a Ferrari 488 GT3 I'm using paddle shifters a lot for the first time AND I'm using my left foot for braking and where my brake pedal position wasn't nearly as comfortable.

I still wanted to have 3 pedals when I need them, but I wanted a better position for the brake when I'm using my left foot. So I built a sliding plate to mount the brake and clutch pedals.

This is 1/4" aluminum plate with 5.5mm countersunk holes for the pedals and 10mm holes for the 8mm bolts that hold the plate to 8020 profile. There is also 2" wide HDMW tape on it so it will slide well. This is a working prototype. Yes, I realize my new dead pedal just disappeared, I think I could keep it on the end of a longer plate and use it with my 3 pedal arrangement. I'm not sure if it is an issue for the 2 pedal setup. Time will tell.

beveledUHMW_4243.jpg

5mm nylock nuts on top and an RJ9 extension cable. I'm using this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P6Z7P4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pedalplate_4244.jpg
Now I can slide this plate over for more comfortable left leg braking. After spending a bit of time using this, I really like it.
slidingplate_4245.jpg

I also got 2 x one foot long power cables and changed the orientation of my wheelbase power supply. Shortly there will be two power supplies sitting there side by side for a SimuCube 2 wheelbase.
NewPedalplate_4253.jpg

Last edited:
As I mentioned I hadn't been using paddle shifters much before. So I upgraded the McLaren GT3 rim that has been collecting dust with the Sim Racing Machines Magnetic carbon fiber shifters and they are much nicer feeling than the stock chunk of aluminum. I also upgraded the Porsche 918 with magnets which are a bit nicer, but now the McLaren wheel has much nicer feeling shifter.

https://www.simracingmachines.com/WebShop/gear-shifter-upgrade-for-mclaren-wheel

SRMshifters_4255.jpg
SRMshifters_4254.jpg

The McLaren shifter upgrade is a bit involved, but the instructions are very good.
Some assembly required ;) Also some cutting, drilling and soldering. Have some loktite on hand as well as a glue gun. It's very doable, just stay organized because there are a lot of little parts to put back together when you are done.
McLaren1mess.jpg

McLaren2solder.jpg

In other news I snapped and ordered a SimuCube 2 and a Precision Sim Engineering GT3 wheel which I hope to see in about a month's time.

But before they get here, I'm going to visit a friend with a machine shop who is going to give me some instruction on an end mill and metal lathe. He asked me to pick a project that was reasonably small and that could be completed while I'm there. I'm thinking of building a trackball mount for my rig. It's still just an idea, I'm not sure what it will look like yet.

And I ordered a couple more swivels for the hand brake since the 30 degree profile was a bust.

I "think" that's everything.

Last edited:
In other news I snapped and ordered a SimuCube 2 and a Precision Sim Engineering GT3 wheel which I hope to see in about a month's time.

Haha - Saw that coming a mile away!

About those heel plate mounting transducers. How do you like that? It that a less common method to get vibs to the pedal area?

Haha - Saw that coming a mile away!

About those heel plate mounting transducers. How do you like that? It that a less common method to get vibs to the pedal area?

I think it was obvious that I was looking way too intently and trying to talk myself out of it way too hard. Makes me think of a bit of Shakespeare. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

The heel plate works well enough for me, but it do not provide stereo separation. Also if I'm pushing hard on the brake pedal my foot lifts off the plate and the vibration is a bit muted going into the pedals. However the vibrations down still carry through the pedals and the frame. I'm not saying this will be my last configuration, but it's not anywhere near the top of things I want to mess with right now.

The Sprint pedals seem to work better with a raised plate, so the foot plate is at a good height and it was a good way to mount these transducers. Until I added the sliding plate under the brake and clutch, the pivot point of all 3 pedals was almost perfectly aligned with the top of the plate.The raised plate provides a good foot .

Additions, changes: Trackball mount, adjustable angle handbrake, new sequential shift knob, rewiring.

My trackball mount is a re-purposed Sim-Lab Fanatec Shifter mount.
trackballtray.jpg

I can now adjust the angle of my hand brake. After setting the bolts just strong enough to hold a position, I sat in the chair and pulled back letting it move to the natural angle lined up with my shoulder and tightened the bolts.
Handbrake_4273.jpg

mouse_4269.jpg

My current wheelbase power supply is mounted with the fasteners I just machined on a mill and there are two short 12" power cords for the coming SC2 Pro. I got a bit OCD and labeled all the USB cables except for the wheelbase.
undermountstorage_4278.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding work heli!!! I am so impressed again, finally got my 8020 done after stealing several of your ideas mate but now I have to steal some more! ie. Tow strap lol.
I've gone all self contained too with just USB cables and a single power cord exiting the rig but my next move will be to mount the pc on the front to make it totally portable. Brilliant work man just Stella! Soooo...... New video soon?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back