Micro Stuttering still not solved | Any Help | Considering reinstall

Panthera

Premium
Hi there,

I still have to fight with Microfreezes (mostly) when racing against the AI (16-32 opponents). Had done a reset of AC like described here: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/micro-freezes.204325/ but the problem seems to persist. In CM nearly everything is maxed out and most of time I get 80-120 fps when racing against AI and > 300 fps when hotlapping. Frame time and CPU-Time lies in between 6-9 ms - I think that's fine.

At the moment I'm running out of ideas (I tried a lot of tipps and hints found here at RD) and think about a complete uninstall of AC (a backup is already at my server).

Hardware Specs:
- Ryzen 5 3600 with Mugen 5 PCGH
- AMD RX 6700 XT Reference Design (had luck at the AMD shop last summer)
- Tomahawk B450 Max
- 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200
- 600 W beQuiet Pure Power 11 modular
- LG 34 GL750-B 2560x1080
- still stuck with a G29

Further I use latest CM full, CSP Patreon v1.77P1 and Sol 2.2.1.
My impression is that the microstutter happens most when driving through turns or when you get overtaken during a fight. Replays are fine and smooth as butter.

What should I try? Uninstall through steam and then delete everything AC-related including registry-entries and start fresh over again? I really love AC and hadn't had these problems with my old Sapphire RX 590 Nitro - but there I was using CSP 1.60 (meanwhile I tried some different combos as well).

I would be really thankful for some input...

Last edited:
Is it on SSD or HDD? I used to have AC stutters when it was on my SSD. Use it only for windows now.
OS is on a NVMe-SSD and AC is on a SATA-SSD. Interesting!
But on the other hand I think it maybe has something to do with CSP and / or SOL. I mean to remember that with CSP v1.60 I had no issues. It needs further investigation - maybe during the weekend I'll have a look at it.
Thank you.

Start up the vigin AC.exe so without any mods nor apps. So disable everything non AC. Think if you start from Steam it will bypass CM. For testing use only the Kunos stock cars and tracks. Still not good do the Steam integrity check, it will bring back the game to “out of the box” state, but also delete all the nonKunos stuff so backup AC.
This will be you base, if you still have micro stutters then its not the game but your system.

Last edited:
You are double wrong, Vintagedriver01. ;)

First, if CSP and or SOL/Pure is installed it will be used, even with the vanilla launcher. So there is no need to use it as a problem solver. Second a steam integrity check wont delete any mods or apps, because only vanilla stuff will be checked.

@Panthera, sice I dont use Radeon GPUs, is there an option to set it to smtg like maximum performance all the time? With nVidia cards you've "optimised performance" by default, which doesnt work very well with AC. "Maximum performance" all the time works way better.

Finding micro stutters is always a PITA. I'd recommend to disable one FX at the time in CM and check if those stutters persist or went away. If you've figured out the FX causing it I'd check every option in this section until you've found the culprit.

Last edited:
Thats why I did wrote down “think” about CM bypassing :whistling: But my statement is clear get the game in steps back to basics. I have seen and experienced by me self lots of problems that are finally could be redirected to an specific mod or mods that can not used together.
About the Steam integrity check I must admit I always thought it would complete wipe away the non Kunos aspects in the AC main root and documents. Never to old to learn.
But think its not wrong in this case to do this integrity check and back up before doing.

Last edited:
Just short info from the phone:
1. Enable dev apps in cm
2. Open the fps and the performance apps to see all info
3. Record the 2 apps with a camera (no performance loss)
4. Check which frame time line has a hiccup when the stutter happens

To then check where it comes from:
Disable all csp sections. The general section should be fine and helps the cpu a lot, so at least keep "custom font rendering" active.

Check if the stuttering goes away. If yes, it's csp. If not, it's something else.

Turn everything possible to OFF in the AMD graphics software. Especially any frame rate limiters, V-synch, all that stuff. Be sure to do this in global and for AC. If the stuttering is gone, start adding them back in.

EDIT: Just to clarify - I bought a 6700XT a few months ago and had pretty constant stutters with high frame rates. I'm not very good with tech tbh, so... like an idiot, I searched the internet for opinions from "more knowledgeable" people's advice on what settings to use in order to get the best experience.

Well, long story short, after a couple weeks of tearing my hair out trying to fix these stutters, I was about to send the card back and get a refund. In desperation, I tried one last idea (completely my own - got there in the end) and put all my settings to off.

Honestly it's so easy to try and it works for me. I can post screenies if it helps?

Last edited:
For the sake of anyone reading this and wondering about a Steam integrity check... what that does is compare your local files to the files Steam has on hand. If there are any mismatches, it downloads those files and replaces your local files with them. It doesn't check for any additional files.

So if you change a setting in assettocorsa.ini, it will overwrite that with the default file. If you have sound mods for stock content it will probably overwrite those. It will not delete any of your mod cars, mod tracks, or apps. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
For the sake of anyone reading this and wondering about a Steam integrity check... what that does is compare your local files to the files Steam has on hand. If there are any mismatches, it downloads those files and replaces your local files with them. It doesn't check for any additional files.

So if you change a setting in assettocorsa.ini, it will overwrite that with the default file. If you have sound mods for stock content it will probably overwrite those. It will not delete any of your mod cars, mod tracks, or apps. :thumbsup:
Thanks man. Yes, I can confirm that no mod will be deleted. I've done Integrity checks in the past already. And yes again, e.g. the ini's will be overwritten (freer camera, one way sign and so on...) And on the other hand it makes absolute sense to have a backup. I have a backup of all related AC folders (280 GB :D) on my server and additionally every single car and track mod in my "software section".

Just short info from the phone:
1. Enable dev apps in cm
2. Open the fps and the performance apps to see all info
3. Record the 2 apps with a camera (no performance loss)
4. Check which frame time line has a hiccup when the stutter happens

To then check where it comes from:
Disable all csp sections. The general section should be fine and helps the cpu a lot, so at least keep "custom font rendering" active.

Check if the stuttering goes away. If yes, it's csp. If not, it's something else.
Thank you very much! :)
I've found a correlation between some spikes (don't remember if it was cpu or gpu - think it was the orange line in csp render stats) a few weeks ago. I'll investigate further with disabled csp sections and keep this thread up to date (maybe it helps someone else in the future).

Short Feedback: There were cpu-spikes. Then I remembered that I modified ~last August the fan curves for more silence (they are really very silent, Corsair LL120). Ergo less cooling - a few weeks ago I made more conservative settings and it seems to do the trick for a few test sessions (Darche EGT 2021 @nurburgring GP).

Further I must say that the last time I was behind the virtual wheel is exactly 6 weeks ago. I'm restoring / rebuilding the attic of our old historic little farmhouse. A lot of (wood-)work but I'm having fun. And being sometimes a little bit too perfectionistic... My aim is to have another cozy place with probably a permanent simracing corner. (At the moment I'm using a wheelstand pro 2 on demand).

I can't say that that the problem with the microfreezes is fixed 100% because it needs more testing. I'll keep you informed when I know more. Thank you guys - a great place to be.

Short Feedback: There were cpu-spikes. Then I remembered that I modified ~last August the fan curves for more silence (they are really very silent, Corsair LL120). Ergo less cooling - a few weeks ago I made more conservative settings and it seems to do the trick for a few test sessions (Darche EGT 2021 @nurburgring GP).

Further I must say that the last time I was behind the virtual wheel is exactly 6 weeks ago. I'm restoring / rebuilding the attic of our old historic little farmhouse. A lot of (wood-)work but I'm having fun. And being sometimes a little bit too perfectionistic... My aim is to have another cozy place with probably a permanent simracing corner. (At the moment I'm using a wheelstand pro 2 on demand).

I can't say that that the problem with the microfreezes is fixed 100% because it needs more testing. I'll keep you informed when I know more. Thank you guys - a great place to be.
Hi mate,
Did you fixed it?

Hi there,
the last race against the AI was @Norisring with let's say 20-25 GT3 cars. There were some horrible hiccups and I'm a bit demotivated. In the last few months I didn't investigate any further. Since ~ May I switched to ACC which runs so smooth and it's fun to battle with the much better AI... :)

In case of AC I normally should start over with a fresh windows install from scratch - but at the moment I've no ambitions for that. Maybe next year, I'm planning to go back to Intel and NVidia. (Ryzen 7 5800X3D and RX6700 ATM).

What is your experience related to hiccups and stutter in AC?

Last edited:
Super late to this, but because this is one of the threads that appears by googling, one recommendation I can give is to go to Settings>Custom Shaders Patch>General Patch Settings and go all the way down to FPS Limiter option. There turn OFF "Use Sleep Instruction". It doesn't solve everything, but it did made things more smooth in my end. Even the text that appears when you hover the cursor over that option mention it could produce stutters if its on.

Last edited:

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Yearly

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Weekly at lan events

• Monthly at lan events

• Yearly at lan events