Michael Schumacher

It would have been nice to see him race again but it was only ever going to be a temporary thing and its not like he has anything to prove. Its a sensible choice to put his health before the desire to race again.

Robert is right, I think Luca has earned the right to drive again.

Still, it's a complete bummer, everyone wanted to see the race, F1 fans or not, Ferrari fans or not. I mean, the 7 time champion comes back. Who doesn't want to see Schumacher race again?

Shame... Valencia will be crap now.

If they'd announced Schumacher was considering a return pending tests with an announcment due by a certain date that would have been fine. But it has been stated that he WOULD be replacing Massa. A lot of people will, I'm sure, have bought tickets based on that statement, a lot would have been looking forward to the race etc etc.

This is now yet ANOTHER own goal for F1 in a year where it's already taken a battering. Not necessarily Shumi's fault (or anyone's fault directly) but the eagerness to get some good PR out there has now blown up in a lot of faces and, as usual, it'll be the fans that suffer for it

The articles I read when it was announced was that he would return pending a fitness test. Anyone buying tickets based on the instant media hype were at worst a bit naive and at best over optimistic. It was said right from the start he had to first get a super license and also pass the medical tests because the neck injury from a motorcycle crash was well known.

• Andrew Evans

hopefully this little taster has fired up him for doing a comeback season... :sweetdream:

Most media releases change what they heard though to "Hes coming back for sure" without mentioning the fitness tests thus most people thinking he is deffo coming back + most people you see on forums outside here thought he was coming back for sure based on what they had read. Just another public PR shunt for F1 tbh.

I don't read the red top rags for that very reason, they spin the stories to suit make it fit the headline they want. Generally though the stories I read all said he had to compete fitness tests etc, indeed the BBC had this to say in their original story:
"Michael Schumacher has shown his willingness and in the next few days he will undergo a specific programme of preparation at the end of which it will be possible to confirm his participation in the championship, starting with the European Grand Prix."

Quite a way down the article but basically the same as what Ferrari said in their official site:
Maranello, 29 July 2009 - Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro intends to put Michael Schumacher in Felipe Massa's car until the Brazilian driver will be able to race again. Michael Schumacher said he is ready and, over the next few days, will undertake a specific training program at the end of which confirmation will be given of his participation in the Championship with effect from the European Grand Prix on the 23rd of August

Which was also covered on the official F1 site in their news section. If lazy bloggers didn't read far enough in their haste to cut and paste or newspaper columnists too eager to make the story fit the headline then sadly there is nothing F1, Ferrari or Schumacher can do about that an really anyone spending the kind of money you need to attend an F1 race without checking the facts really should be more careful.

I think you missed all the hype and expentations of him coming back to realize that most people thought it was a done deal. Allot of sites posted that fitness was not a problem also like here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jul/29/formula-one-michael-schumacher-ferrari-comeback
There's talks high up in the F1 paddock that he used the neck injury as an excuse because he wouldn't be fast enough like posted above, it's more likely so he don't feel the car is going to 100% get him wins on pure pace so has bottled it.

Well the quotes I posted above are from the official Ferrari site and the official F1 site, if someone in the media wants to make hype and bend the truth then thats his problem and yours for believing it. The two most official sources where the media took the story from and you come back with the Guardian? come on surely you see the folly in your cause. As for the conspiracy theoritsts, well I can see know you like to follow the tin foil hat brigade who have invented all kinds of theories so I'm done with this thread. I've bought facts to it and you've bought conspiracy theory so there is nothing more to add.

Touchy... i have good inside sources you know but you don't know me so no point discussing it. But I was mainly just showing you why people think he was for sure coming back as many news sites which people read (allot dont even read the offical site for news or bbc ) stated he was fit and coming back no doubt about it, and that has been the whole hype around the situation concerning most people, and well most people thought it was a done deal with him racing at Valencia untill now.

i have good inside sources you know
o_rly.jpg

Frankly, this thread is no more. If he's not coming back, he's not coming back. Nothing to discuss. I doubt he used his neck injury as an excuse. The media are to blame for the hype. F1 had no involvement in the hype and they cannot be blamed if people buy tickets on the Schumacher Comeback. Although the Valencia organisers will lose out. Imagine, posters all over Valencia "The Schumacher Comeback!".

Hehe, tinfoil hat brigade :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back