Michael Schumacher

I really wish you'd stop telling me to "chill" Mark, I am a very relaxed person and need no encouragement to remain calm. My post shows no sign of stress and is only my personal view on the matter. I would appreciate being able to share my point of view without having to constantly defend it from challenges of my state of equanimity.

/sharp intake of breath

Kevin, I don't think I misinterpreted it at all. Ferrari had 3 real choices when Massa was injured. The two designated test drivers and Micheal Schumacher, they chose Schumi because they wanted experience along with the publicity and kudos it would bring. I agree he didn't directly say Badoer (and I never purported that he had) was mediocre but the inference is clear that he wanted experience over mediocrity. It is open to many interpretations, as are all things said in the public domain, of which my interpretation was just one. We shall have to agree to disagree on this matter, I think.

I did in fact read the whole article prior to making my post and he does go on to give credence to Badoer's talent but it was very two-faced in my opinion after the previous inference. Something of which men of power like the Ferrari chief have no trouble in being and in many cases relish.

Kevin, I don't think I misinterpreted it at all. Ferrari had 3 real choices when Massa was injured. The two designated test drivers and Micheal Schumacher, they chose Schumi because they wanted experience along with the publicity and kudos it would bring. I agree he didn't directly say Badoer (and I never purported that he had) was mediocre but the inference is clear that he wanted experience over mediocrity. It is open to many interpretations, as are all things said in the public domain, of which my interpretation was just one. We shall have to agree to disagree on this matter, I think.

I did in fact read the whole article prior to making my post and he does go on to give credence to Badoer's talent but it was very two-faced in my opinion after the previous inference. Something of which men of power like the Ferrari chief have no trouble in being and in many cases relish.

There really isn't any need to get emotional about it, putting words in bold. The quote is there for you to read he was clearly talking about the difference between putting an experienced driver in the seat over going for the younger driver who may well be mediocre. As Luca Badoer is 38 it can't possibly be construed that his comments were directed at Badoer as he was talking about young drivers. As he goes on further to pledge his support for Badoer saying they will "support him with all we've got" Those are hardly the words of a man who believes he is placing a mediocre driver in the seat of one of his very expensive racing cars.

Please forgive me? :snicker: I was completely unaware the use of bold characters conveyed an emotional state.

I was merely emphasising the fact it was "my" opinion (do inverted commas have any significant meaning? sod it I'll risk it!), "my" interpretation. An interpretation based on 33 years as a Formula One fan and seeing these little operas played out. Clearly it differs from yours, not a problem for me, we just have to agree to disagree, agreed?

Please forgive me? :snicker: I was completely unaware the use of bold characters conveyed an emotional state.

I was merely emphasising the fact it was "my" opinion (do inverted commas have any significant meaning? sod it I'll risk it!), "my" interpretation. An interpretation based on 33 years as a Formula One fan and seeing these little operas played out. Clearly it differs from yours, not a problem for me, we just have to agree to disagree, agreed?

Well while being flippant seems to be the way, yes opinion's are fine, this is a discussion forum after all :) If you post an opinion you should, as is normal on a discussion board (see I can use bold too!) expect it to be discussed and as your opinion appears to be one of someone who skimmed through an article and went straight into a rant without reading it thoroughly then that is why I questioned your point of view when the statement made by Luca di Montezemolo is one of support for Badoer. We can agree to disagree, just no need to get yourself into a spin over it.

just no need to get yourself into a spin over it.
OMG_IT_SPINS_by_Garriden.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8368107.stm

Michael Schumacher is poised for a sensational return to Formula 1 with the new Mercedes team, according to BBC Sport pundit Eddie Jordan.

Mercedes want the seven-time champion as their lead driver after taking over title-winning Brawn, Jordan says.

"The possibility is being actively pursued and I believe it is going to happen," said Jordan.

Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm told BBC Sport a return was "highly unlikely - but never say never".

The plan is for Schumacher to be a stop-gap before Mercedes can prise German rising star Sebastian Vettel out of Red Bull.

The move would reunite Schumacher with Mercedes GP team boss Ross Brawn, who masterminded all his seven titles at Benetton and Ferrari.

Schumacher could be a stop-gap before Mercedes target Vettel
The German, who will be 41 in January, had to pull out of a temporary comeback to F1 last year as a replacement for the injured Ferrari driver Felipe Massa because of a neck injury.

But Kehm said that while Schumacher had not had any new tests on his neck, it was expected to be healed by the end of the year.

Jordan said: "It started with a meeting between Michael, Ross Brawn and Daimler chief executive officer Dieter Zetsche at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

"At the moment, it is not possible for Michael to drive for Mercedes because he has a consultancy contract with Ferrari.

"But I understand he was due to meet Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo with a view to him being released - and that it will be approved because it is in the interests of F1.

"I believe that is being planned at the moment.

I understand Michael was due to meet Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo with a view to him being released - and that it will be approved because it is in the interests of F1

Eddie Jordan
"I also believe Ross and Michael have spoken in recent times and that Michael likes the idea of driving a Mercedes run by Ross. It's a mouth-watering idea.

"Schumacher was bitterly disappointed he didn't get to come back to replace Massa - he's keen to race again. And this is a dream for both parties.

"Michael and Mercedes have go way back - he drove for their sportscar team before he raced in F1, and they were responsible for getting him in to F1. They paid the then Jordan team to give him his debut in 1991.

"He has won all these titles but never driven in F1 for Mercedes."

The Brawn team rose out of the ashes of Honda, which quit F1 in December 2008, and won the drivers' world championship with Jenson Button in 2009, as well as the constructors' title.

Mercedes's takeover was announced on Monday, but the team are looking for a lead driver following Button's decision to move to McLaren for 2010.

Brawn and Schumacher have achieved incredible success in F1
Signing Schumacher would be an ideal way for Mercedes to head off the negative publicity that has arisen from letting the world champion slip through their fingers.

A source close to Ferrari says the Italian team have yet to be asked to release Schumacher.

Schumacher's contract with the company was changed recently to remove him from any links with the F1 team, for which he was a consultant.

He is now an ambassador, consultant and test driver for the company's road car arm.

It is understood that during the summer Schumacher explored the idea of driving a third car for Ferrari on an occasional basis, but this is forbidden by F1's rules.

Kehm said Schumacher had given her no indication that he wanted to make a full-time return.

Vettel, 22, is contracted to drive for Red Bull until the end of 2011 and, while contracts are often broken in F1, Mercedes may not find it easy to buy him out.

Red Bull is owned by the soft drinks company's founder Dietrich Mateschitz who, as a billionaire, does not exactly need the money.

If the Schumacher deal does not come off, fellow German Nick Heidfeld is considered most likely to get the second Mercedes seat alongside Nico Rosberg, another German, whose contract has been signed but not officially announced.

But another possibility for Mercedes might be the highly rated Polish driver Robert Kubica.

He has signed for Renault, but the French company is deciding whether to continue in F1, with a decision due before the end of the year.

If Renault pulled out, Kubica would be on the market, and he might be an attractive option for Mercedes, who have moved to dismiss widespread claims that they are determined to sign two German drivers by describing their new F1 team as "global".

• Andrew Evans

always love to hear about a potential schumi return....

lot of old cynics poasten in this thread....

• Andrew Evans

lol, trustory....

"wee massa, heez foyne... heez just hadda wee bump on dehr chin..."

• Andrew Evans

ho ho ho... birney could probably do a better job than massa.

probably.

I also highly doubt it!

I bet it's just creating a story, because "someone" (sorry Eddie) just had a nice thought and spoke it out loud! And the story developes, because there are some nice things from history, that do fit very well. Schumi & Ross, Schumi & Mercedes, Schumi & the "massa-comeback"....

I think the idea to come back for Massa developed under very different circumstances! The tragical situation for Massa, the "nothing to loose" situation, because it's only for some races,....

I would really wish it comes true, but i can't believe it, until i see it.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • More leagues

Votes: 28 19.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • Trophies

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 8 5.6%