McLaren Wins Could Come in 2018

brown mclaren wins 2018.jpg
McLaren chief Zak Brown has warned that the team needs to be realistic so as to not set themselves up for a fall, but believes fans will see a difference in performance as early as 2018.

Since Honda returned to Formula One with McLaren in 2015, the team has struggled to meet expectations. Brown says the team is still frustrated with the lack of results, and keen to get back to winning ways, but he doesn’t believe those wins will come in 2017.

“I don’t think our results over the past couple of years are something that the team’s accustomed to,” Brown told Marshall Pruett. “At the same time, one step at a time.

“We’re not going to be winning any races next year, I don’t anticipate. We need to be measured on forward progress as appose to ultimate results in ’17. We’ve got the enthusiasm to be winning races and the championship, but I don’t think we’re there yet with our overall package. I’m just eager to see us keep moving up the grid and getting into a position where we can start winning races in 2018.”

Though he doesn’t expect to see much difference on track, Brown believes the atmosphere at the team will be better this season, as they work towards the aim of wins in 2018. He has previously said he will be happy as long as the team makes progress this year.

“What I’ve said internally is that I think 2017 is going to feel good, meaning the team’s going to come together, we’re excited, we’re working well, and I think 2018’s going to look good.

“To the naked eye, you might not see as much progress as what we’re going to see internally in ’17, but ’18 is going to be a year where people can really start to see the difference.”

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Do you see think McLaren will take a win in 2018, or is that too early to expect success? Let us know in the comments below!

McLaren might be the new Williams if they don't rebound this season. It's sad for those who grew up (or just grew older) watching Senna and Prost dominating everything on the white and red cars and Mika Hakkinen putting a show in the silver cars.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back