Brown confident Mclaren will make progress

Brown predictions.png
Executive Director at McLaren Technology Group, Zak Brown, is confident McLaren will be moving forward in 2017.

Though he won’t making any predictions about McLaren’s performance, he says all the indications show the team will be hitting the targets they thought reasonable.

“I think our 2017 chassis will be a decent one,” Brown told F1.com. “I’m not going to make any precise predictions but all the indications are that, relative to the targets we thought were realistically attainable under the new regs, our guys have done a very good job.”

Since Honda re-joined Formula 1 with the team in 2015, McLaren have been improving, but the starting point was the back of the grid. Brown doesn’t expect McLaren to be challenging for race wins this season, but is confident the team will be continuing that progress.

“We won’t be at the front of the grid in 2017,” he said. “But we’re working incredibly hard, together, as one team, and the progress is clear to see… We know we’ll win together in the end – we don’t know when so don’t ask me to make that prediction – but as I say we’re making progress and that’s the important thing.”

Brown’s main aim for the season will be to progress, both on and off track.

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

How much progress do you think McLaren will make in 2017? Let us know in the comments below!

"Zak Brown, is confident McLaren will be moving forward in 2017".
That's very good news! It's extremely hard to win a race when your car is moving backwards.
Stupid jokes aside, I hope they will make some progress - I would love to see McLaren on a podium.

Sadly that means you'll have to watch British GT rather than Formula One then :roflmao:

On a serious note though, it continues to be a crying shame to see Alonso's undoubted talent going to waste mid field these last few years. I hope for his sake the McLaren resurrection is a swift one.

I'm sure his annual pay more than makes up for his midfield struggles.

I'm sure his annual pay more than makes up for his midfield struggles.
When you already have all the money you could ever need, the paycheck no longer becomes the most important thing. Alonso's running out of time to move up the echelon of all time greats. Time is his most valued asset. If Mclaren can get him further up the front, then it'll be worth more to him than all the millions McLaren could possibly offer him.

I do hope McLaren get a chance to be competitive whilst Alonso is still at the team. It's definitely a wasted talent. My terrible memory means I barely remember when he was competing for wins. I feel I've definitely missed out on some spectacular races with him being stuck in the midfield.

I do hope McLaren get a chance to be competitive whilst Alonso is still at the team. It's definitely a wasted talent. My terrible memory means I barely remember when he was competing for wins. I feel I've definitely missed out on some spectacular races with him being stuck in the midfield.

Think you meant stuck at the back:rolleyes:
Will not be making the midfield this season either unfortunately :geek:

When you already have all the money you could ever need, the paycheck no longer becomes the most important thing. Alonso's running out of time to move up the echelon of all time greats. Time is his most valued asset. If Mclaren can get him further up the front, then it'll be worth more to him than all the millions McLaren could possibly offer him.

We will have to agree to disagree then because surely He had enough money after Ferrari to live a comfortable life but choose a 3 year contract at McLaren :geek: when surely a rolling one year contract gave him more wiggle room if a top seat became available :O_o:

Like my mum always says 'the talent is in the choices' :thumbsup:

Last edited:
More than ever the cars need to work well as a package, and that's why Mercedes are just so damn good at the moment.

I think in the long term the Honda deal was the right move but it's going to take a few more years until McLaren are back at the front.

The general view was the chassis was pretty good over the course of 2016 but the engine wasn't there on the hybrid side (I kept hearing about deployment issues and the system not charging quickly enough). Which seems to be the issue on this package. Honda are not stupid but obviously they were already years behind Mercedes when they started the engine program so I won't bash them too much.

If they have an improved 2017 then that's the goal :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back