McLaren and Mercedes Back Together Again!

Do Racing Point and Williams not have the Mercedes unit? And where are they?

Seems to me that only Renault provide the same unit to all his partners.

I hope they have secured some garanties...

I'm sorry, but I kind of feel like they will always be second fiddle to merc. I hope I'm wrong because I've been enjoying their recent competitive streak.

Some think(at least here in finnish media) that this could mean that MB plan to bring its own F1-team down and quit at some point in the (near, few years?) future and after that just make engines for others.

Mercedes has moved to dispel that notion in public:

Mercedes: McLaren supply not the "start of a works deal" (source)

Of course, as long as there's not a legally binding contract with the FIA in place, Mercedes can claim whatever they want and get away with breaking said claim at their leisure.

Interesting move!
Hopefully it'll pay off with a more powerful ICE and allow McLaren the flexibility to do more with setup.
I'm sure they know something we don't.

Wouldn't be so surprised, Mercedes has little (basically nothing) left to prove and they don't share the emotion wave that Ferrari surfs on.
I don't agree. They were way ahead in beginning development for the v6 turbo hybrid era and started way ahead of others and maintained that advantage. Now that Ferrari is almost on their pace, it's the next few years - if Mercedes has close competition - where they can prove stuff. Also, they need to prove themselves over different regulation eras including different power units, different tyres, etc.

Leaving F1 because you have "nothing left to prove" is a cop-out for "I'm scared of competition and/or loosing my dominance or winning ways." Williams, McLaren, Ferrari, even Sauber to a certain point stay in F1 no matter the good or bad times; that's what real racing teams do.

I don't agree. They were way ahead in beginning development for the v6 turbo hybrid era and started way ahead of others and maintained that advantage. Now that Ferrari is almost on their pace, it's the next few years - if Mercedes has close competition - where they can prove stuff. Also, they need to prove themselves over different regulation eras including different power units, different tyres, etc.

Leaving F1 because you have "nothing left to prove" is a cop-out for "I'm scared of competition and/or loosing my dominance or winning ways." Williams, McLaren, Ferrari, even Sauber to a certain point stay in F1 no matter the good or bad times; that's what real racing teams do.
Mercedes is not a real racing team, they're in F1 just because they believe it will sell more cars, and the same goes for every other factory team.
In my opinion, if they're not sure they'll continue dominating from 2021 onwards, quitting at the end of next year with 14 back to back world titles would be the best thing they could do.

Be interesting if Brexit goes ahead, all that red tape and bureaucratic BS will impact on this sort of deal, especially as most EffWun operations are currently UK based.
:confused:

Be interesting if Brexit goes ahead, all that red tape and bureaucratic BS will impact on this sort of deal, especially as most EffWun operations are currently UK based.

Shouldn't effect the deal at all, as the Mercedes F1 team and their engine building are all UK based too. That won't change with brexit.

Leaving F1 because you have "nothing left to prove" is a cop-out for "I'm scared of competition and/or loosing my dominance or winning ways." ...
Mercedes only wants to sell cars.
People who will buy a Mercedes due to F1 will do it because they saw they were champions. Not because they were champions against great competition

Shouldn't effect the deal at all, as the Mercedes F1 team and their engine building are all UK based too. That won't change with brexit.
Au contraire (?).......anything moving in and out of the non-EU UK will be subject to passport and custom paperwork and delays. The EU will no longer be an open door for any British based operation to swan in and out as they please. Passports and clearance documents issued by the UK government will be subject to whatever EU restrictions that will return post Brexit. I doubt the EU will be accommodating but then again they might well be, it may well not happen.
But 'Stuff' happens and when it does it rolls downhill and grows.
:O_o:

Au contraire (?).......anything moving in and out of the non-EU UK will be subject to passport and custom paperwork and delays. The EU will no longer be an open door for any British based operation to swan in and out as they please. Passports and clearance documents issued by the UK government will be subject to whatever EU restrictions that will return post Brexit. I doubt the EU will be accommodating but then again they might well be, it may well not happen.
But 'Stuff' happens and when it does it rolls downhill and grows.
:O_o:

Oh, I get that part of it. I was purely talking about the deal and operations between McLaren and Mercedes, which is all UK based. UK teams will indeed have some headaches to overcome in regards to freight being sent to and from Grand Prixs, particularly in getting parts sent out overnight.

B2axY_rCAAAUQbh.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back