AC Mazda MX5 Cup @ Imola - Wed 16/08/17

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Overall was a good race for me, gaining some more experience in online racing with AC. Somehow I managed to start 7th and end in the same position for the second time in a row (2 of 2!). And that despite some (stupid mistakes ). The first lap was surprisingly clean for me, I surely didn't expect that. After that it was good action with some of you guys, but then I started to make mistakes (and stupid at that, because I was feeling comfortable with the car) and a couple positions were lost. Of course, I don't count the one or two mistakes while battling good fellows, since braking and turning off the line isn't my thing at all. Yet, anyway. And at this point I find myself battling with Joel.

It was a fun for two laps, but then I sort of misjudged the whole thing before braking for turn one. I couldn't watch the replay (I must change the lenght in the options, since I only record a couple laps right now), but if memory serves I followed his pursuing via Helicorsa througout the main straight. He was there, enjoying my slipstream. Approaching T1 I started to pull to the left, slowly, to leave little room there, thinking that he could make the effort to the right. At that point I honestly believed that there wasn't much room there (to my left) so I took my eyes off HC and looked up, hoping to find my braking point in time to don't miss the turn. But Joel did found the room to try the move to my left and we had contact. Honestly it wasn't my intention to push him out and I apologize for it. He mentioned something it happened 6 laps before that, but I don't really remember anything. As default I also apologize for that, since it was probably my fault, whatever it was. I'll try to improve my awareness in such situations in the future. :(

From there I managed to keep my head cool to finish in 7th, even making two best laps (which improved my qualy lap, IIRC).

Some general thoughts: as I said before, Imola and I are at odds with each other. It's one hell of a tricky track, there is no corner which isn't a trap of sorts. Even the knick after the chicane can put you in a bad position to take the last two corners! (not with the MX5, but with faster cars). And I voluntarily signed for another round on it tomorrow, am I mad? I suppose so... :roflmao:

little disappointed to be spun twice by the same driver but hey ho, the sun still came up :) cyas next week ;)

Did the driver wait and let you regain the position. if that was what was needed in the incidents..
if not please make a report if needed so action can be taken.. but first please try and sort things out by a pm. :)

@Martin Fiala nevermind mate,i had a pretty bad race,and i keep making the same mistake in every race,i cant properly follow a car with different approach, if i am not braking i dont expect the car in front me to break but thats not always the case.
For some reason the track felt too slippery,all along fron practice to race,couldnt catch the feeling.
Until last lap,where i was 1 second faster than my next best lap.
I might do some offline training for the next race.

little disappointed to be spun twice by the same driver but hey ho, the sun still came up :) cyas next week ;)
Paul, please file a report. If that person is getting away with it, they will never learn. :thumbsup: I would have been doing a report myself about one guy that was abusing track limits a lot, but my pc crashed and no replay was saved. We need to report as per the rules to get the racing cleaner and fairer.

Paul, please file a report. If that person is getting away with it, they will never learn. :thumbsup:
Here's hoping that a friendly PM would sort things out amicably, should Paul choose to action this.
That way, everybody is happy and the (very friendly) atmosphere here in AC club racing, is maintained. :)

And at this point I find myself battling with Joel.

It was a fun for two laps, but then I sort of misjudged the whole thing before braking for turn one.
Hi David. I think you're describing the battle we had. I'm sorry for being so irritated on TS - I reviewed the replay myself and what happened was closer to 50/50 than I had thought at the time. You did squeeze over rather too late but I accept that there was nothing intentional about it. As for the earlier problem, that was another case where I was going for a gap (to the right this time, on the second to last corner) and I felt squeezed; I ended up on the grass and hitting a wall but we never made contact which will be why you don't recall it. That one was perhaps my fault more than yours, on reflection. The only advice I'd give you is to consider doing what I usually do which is to leave more space than you think is needed, once someone gets a bit of overlap. The other thing I should do but generally don't (sadly) is to completely close the door when I'm trying to stop someone going up the inside - what I've sometimes done by mistake is to think I'm closing the door fully, but I accidentally leave a bit of a gap, they go for it, we collide...

Hi David. I think you're describing the battle we had. I'm sorry for being so irritated on TS -

Don't worry about it, mate. Heat of the moment, they call it. I'd probably feel and act the same way under the circumstances. :)

I reviewed the replay myself and what happened was closer to 50/50 than I had thought at the time. You did squeeze over rather too late but I accept that there was nothing intentional about it. As for the earlier problem, that was another case where I was going for a gap (to the right this time, on the second to last corner) and I felt squeezed; I ended up on the grass and hitting a wall but we never made contact which will be why you don't recall it. That one was perhaps my fault more than yours, on reflection. The only advice I'd give you is to consider doing what I usually do which is to leave more space than you think is needed, once someone gets a bit of overlap. The other thing I should do but generally don't (sadly) is to completely close the door when I'm trying to stop someone going up the inside - what I've sometimes done by mistake is to think I'm closing the door fully, but I accidentally leave a bit of a gap, they go for it, we collide...

I'm so glad you could review both incidents! The fact that I couldn't made me crazy, I can tell you grrrr... lol. Thank you so much for the advice. As I said, I'll try to improve my awareness during close battles and, as you say, leave more space. It's more difficult than it seems from the outside! :confused:

One thing I didn't mention was, that now I drive with a more realistic FOV (close to 20) than in my previous race (close to 40 back then). I'm still trying to feel comfortable in the new surroundings, but I can feel my driving better already. I must put Helicorsa closer to my eyes, I reckon. This race it was perhaps 1 inch too low.

Cheers and thank you again for the positive review :)

Last edited:
Hi,
The other member involved in the altercations has contacted me and he has replays - i've suggested he goes to @Rupe Wilson directly with replays and admin can decide from there, although from my point of view the matter has been sorted privately.

Hi,
The other member involved in the altercations has contacted me and he has replays - i've suggested he goes to @Rupe Wilson directly with replays and admin can decide from there, although from my point of view the matter has been sorted privately.
If it's sorted for you and you don't feel the need for a report (may result in a 30 day ban), then it's all fine :)
Nice to hear you could sort it privately :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back