Massa Tops Times as Honda and Renault Struggle

massa testing.jpg
Williams’ Felipe Massa topped the first day of the second test with a time just few tenths slower than the best time of the first test, whilst Honda and Renault both faced problems again.

Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel were setting the top times early in the session, before Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo jumped to the top of the timings just past the hour mark. The team didn’t look too strong during the first test, but Ricciardo has already warned that there was more to come from the Red Bull.

Renault were the first to hit problems when Jolyon Palmer, who was running in the morning, stopped in the pit lane. The team first said they had “teething problems” but later revealed the engine needed to be swapped due to a sensor issue.

“The guys saw something in the data and we had to stop,” Palmer explained. “They’re changing [the engine] now and putting it back together. Hopefully Nico [Hulkenberg] gets a good run and we can save some laps for the day, would be nice to get three clean goes for the rest of the week.”

Around the same time, McLaren’s Stoffel Vandoorne disappeared into the pit lane, not to be seen until after the lunch break as the team changed his Honda engine due to an electrical problem.

“It’s frustrating for everybody,” said Eric Boullier. “When you don’t have a lot of days of testing you want to make the most of it. It’s frustrating for Stoffel and for us as well.”

McLaren have already lost out on essentially two days of testing last week due to problems with their engine.

Williams weren’t having any problems, though. Felipe Massa got in the car for the first time since the start of the first test. The Brazilian managed to set a time just two hundredths of a second slower than Bottas’ benchmark, an impressive feat for a driver who only retired a few months ago.

It was a time that wouldn’t be beaten in the afternoon session. Though some teams did put together fast laps and moved up the timing screen, many spent the afternoon running race simulations and longer runs.

Both Renault and McLaren managed to get back out, with Vandoorne’s total number of laps rising to 80 and Renault, split between Palmer and Hulkenberg, managed 68 laps before Hulkenberg stopped on the start-finish straight in the closing minutes of the afternoon session.

For more thoughts on Formula One and the latest news, head to the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Do you think this a sign that Williams are on the bounce back or a one off? Is there any hope Honda will solve their problems before Australia? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Is Felipe Massa the Undertaker of F1?

#p.s: For those that don't know who Undertaker he's the deadman of WWE, the one who never dies. THIS IS THE MAN!
wwe-the-undertaker.jpg

Williams is performing really well man, now we hope to see mr. Stroll not crashing the car during the session.

Thanks @Bethonie Waring , this is good news for F1 in my book. If the test times are a solid prequel to the not to distant season start then we may actually see RB, Ferrari & Williams challenging the Mercs head on. We can only hope that Mercedes haven't been sandbagging in testing. But I guess we will know the truth of the matter in a few short weeks, bring on race 1, Melbourne Australia, which will determine whether I watch F1 this season or not, can't wait.
Go Ricciardo.

The same procedure as every year .......
Looking at the preseason test runs and my hope grows for a more balanced F1 field and an exciting season. Then mostly the first 2-3 races destroy all my hope, seeing another dominating team, which is much faster than competing teams. This predictability of race wins is quite boring.

My wish for the upcoming season: The most thrilling question for the race shouldn't be "Who becomes third?"

Last edited:
If I had the same lucky number as Massa I'd consider changing it... he doesn't seem all that lucky.
What? Why? How?
Are you sure?
It does work for me though... :D

On a more serious note... you can't do such a thing as "changing your lucky number" Bet, c'mon... or you have it or you don't. Mine is 19 cuz all most important things in my life happened on ...some of the 19th.
My first own pc for example. :laugh:

Btw, Bottas has beat Massa. And, in process ...everyone else. :confused:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/barcelona-f1-test-bottas-sets-quickest-2017-time-yet-880662/

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back