AC Lotus 49 vs. Ferrari 458 S 3 @ Mugello - Tue May 10th 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event

abecede

Premium
KHmsn87.jpg

Welcome to the RD Racing Club. Newbies and Pros alike!

You have two choices: The Lotus Type 49, which was recently used in our 60's/70's championship, and is a wild beast on the track! Or the Ferrari 458 Italia Stage 3, a modern hypercar with all the technology like traction control and ABS.

The great thing about these cars: They have equal lap times on Kunos' Mugello track!

I did some web scraping on the RSR LiveTiming web site, and crunched the numbers to find this unusual combo of cars. Here are the results:
The 40th percentile of all hotlappers did the exact same lap time in either car: 1:58.5 minutes. And the theoretical best lap time according to the three split sectors would be 0:27.116 + 0:34.916 + 0:50.022 for the Lotus, and 0:27.363 + 0:34.664 + 0:50.318 for the Ferrari. You see, they behave quite differently on the track, so we should have some good fun racing these two cars at the same time!

Choose whichever car you like, but I'd recommend to only use the Lotus if you can handle this untamed beast! For slow boys like myself, the Ferrari might be the better, easier choice.
1920px-Mugello_Racing_Circuit_track_map_15_turns.svg.png

We'll drive on the well known and beloved Mugello race track by Kunos.

The password for signing up is the usual "Tuesday password".
If you don't know it, just ask here in this thread - I'll send you a private message.​

Event details:
  • 20:00 CEST (18:00 UTC) | 60 minutes - Practice (optional, but recommended)
  • 21:00 CEST (19:00 UTC) | 20 minutes - Qualifying
  • 21:20 CEST (19:20 UTC) | 40 minutes - Race
  • Cars: Lotus Type 49 and Ferrari 458 Italia Stage 3
  • Track: Mugello
  • Pit stop: optional
  • Tyre blankets: Yes
  • Track Temps: 20C air / 10C track
  • Weather: Mid Clear
  • Track grip: 96% increasing to 100% after about 20 laps.
  • Damage / Fuel / Tyre wear rates: 25% / 100% / 100%
  • Further info: see the event page on simracing.gp.
Useful Links:

I've never driven that Ferrari (I don't take the street cars out as much as I do the race ones :p ), but that's one of the best feeling ffb (tires and brakes) I think I've come across in AC, or at least that I can remember recently.

Hope my schedule stays open next week for this one :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah, the Ferrari is such a smooth drive, I love it too! Just be careful at the start of the race, since you can't put the car into 1st gear before the lights go out, or you'll get teleported into the pits! (Clutch does nothing in this car...)

Folks, this well known track is in dire need of a couple more vehicles spreading some rubber on it... The Ferrari, as stated by @Alfred Wayne is very lovely (and quite easy) to drive, but if you rather like to try your luck in some vintage F1 car, try some laps in the Lotus 49 on the practice server!
Tagging some folks from last week who seemed to enjoy this "different but equal" style of race: @cerebralvortex @Kek700 @Reik Major @Jekabs Silins @thom462 - interested in joining this one tomorrow?
Also: @Casper de Wit - I hope you feel better already? Wanna join too?

Last edited:
To all the Ferrari drivers: I shamefully didn't check whether the tyres of the Ferrari hold over the distance, and I need to shut down my PC now, so I can't do that at the moment..

Did some of you test it, and are quite certain that the tires hold the distance? (otherwise I would need to set tyre wear to less than 100% which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I'd prefer to let it be on 100% if possible)

Please help me out here... Thanks in advance!

Haven't run longer than a 5 lap race against AI (along side some practice), but I think the Ferrari should be ok.

According to my fuel and tire app, a 45min race should be about 23 laps. The Ferrari has 2 sets of tires, semi slicks and Hards. At around 23 laps, Hards should be just above "medium grip" & Semi Slicks would be "low".

I just did a few laps in both cars.
The change was challenging. I find these opposite cars which are about the same speed very interesting. How about doing two races in a future event and everyone has to drive both cars?

The change was challenging. I find these opposite cars which are about the same speed very interesting. How about doing two races in a future event and everyone has to drive both cars?
Or maybe even in a mini championship (4 rounds) where you need to drive all the cars (might be two or three different cars on pace with each other) at least once? - this is something I'm thinking about at the moment. We'll see how it works out and how big the interest in the community is. Still needs a bit of preparation, digging through hotlappers times, choosing the right tracks etc.

Starting with the 1 hour practice session followed by quali and race in about 15 minutes!
We have eight drivers in the modern Ferrari, but sadly only two drivers in the Formula 1 Lotus... If anyone wants to switch to the Lotus, NOW is the time!

See you all on the track, and let's have some good fun!

(Password for joining the server when it started up is "dunlop")

Last edited:
Oh, interesting, yes! (To be honest, I mostly took default values there. Let's imagine a nice day in spring, but the track has some cold water pipes underneath)
Hope it won't matter too much :notworthy:

EDIT: nope, not on the racing server. I didn't take into account that on the racing server air temp gets added to what one enters into track temp. Which was not the case on the practice server. So all should be good on the racing server.

Last edited:
My wheel clamps slipped off, so I had to stop in the middle of the race. (I was in last position anyways, so no big loss ^^)

Then I watched the battle in front between Fulvio, Hank, Allen and Ernie... It was a blast to spectate!

If you guys like the format of very different cars on a track which are really on the same pace, I am working on a mini championship with probably four cars and four tracks, where every participant has to drive each car once. Should be an interesting grid in all four races...

Let me know if you're interested, and I'll make sure to "@" you when it's ready!

Thanks again for joining today!

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes