AC Lotus 2-Eleven GT4 @ Paul Ricard - Wednesday 27th May 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
This is a very difficult situation for John, with many pitfalls in trying to buy your way out of this situation.
It can and probably will lead to wasting money, not to mention still having problems.
The system is not ideal but it is very useable, my take would be to find simple solution that yields a more short term positive solution.
So when the future presents itself a more £ orientated approach can take place.
With the help of Rasmus hopefully suggesting an approach.
People run VR which to be honest gives a crap image quality, so could John take
the view of reducing the requirement of system, I have far less loss on my system with 30 online players than 15 AI.
Perhaps making sure that Nvidia control panel is giving the best performance gains, how V -sync is set, ensuring least amount of App’s are in use, how he is using the internet, power requirements of the accessories, no shaders or any of the AC effects, even with a decent system I have all the AC effects off.
I remember I had to do a similar thing a few years ago, was shocked how much I reduced the system load. If memory serves me correctly I managed to find an extra 40 Fps, with no real loss of viewing playability, admittedly some loss of eye candy.
just a thought. :)

John, if you want to upgrade on the cheap I would search ebay for older Intel platforms (cpu & motherboard combo) - Sandybridge, Ivybridge & Haswell. I imagine, for instance, the difference in the resale value of your AMD system against an Intel 2600k system is quite small. Likewise the same applies for the 1050ti (ideal for sff & home theatre PCs - low power & low profile, so it keeps it's value against more powerful graphics cards) against gtx 970/1060 or even a 980ti.

@pattikins ? I know but you would think it was 720 x 1280, apart from the dash board which is passable the rest leaves a lot to be desired.
When I went back to my 1440p monitor the VR made it look like photo quality. ( I love VR, defiantly quicker with it ,especially considering I bought the S for £300 and sold it for £520 ):)

Absolutely agree about your Intel suggestion a second hand 6600K + MB and second hand 980ti is , if AC is your bag, is a great cheap alternative.
with those two I was able to play with triples at a "reasonably" 144 Hz and a low of 80+ with 23 Ai.:)

@pattikins ? I know but you would think it was 720 x 1280, apart from the dash board which is passable the rest leaves a lot to be desired.
When I went back to my 1440p monitor the VR made it look like photo quality. ( I love VR, defiantly quicker with it ,especially considering I bought the S for £300 and sold it for £520 ):)

Absolutely agree about your Intel suggestion a second hand 6600K + MB and second hand 980ti is , if AC is your bag, is a great cheap alternative.
with those two I was able to play with triples at a "reasonably" 144 Hz and a low of 80+ with 23 Ai.:)
In terms of simracing, VR for me is about creating an illusion that I'm physically @ a race track, sat in a racing car. A monitor can't do that - keep increasing the size of the 1440p monitor & eventually the resolution will start to look like :poop: . As far as I'm concerned they serve very different ends and can't quantitively be compared. VR technology has lots of shortcomings, and they are well documented, so I'm surprised that you bought the Oculus Rift S.

I've been using VR for about 3 years. Before that I had a set of triple monitors with headtracking. I don't recall any improvement when I switched over to VR. In fact it took me months to make the the transition, & I was taking part in RD races @ the time (@ the back of the field).

Last edited:
@pattikins
i hope you don’t take my comments of VR as a critisiam
I love VR , I was immediately put into the car, the poor FOV was exactly what I would normally have seen from my crash helmet in real life, had one of those narrow slot bell crash helmets.
I was immediately faster, because as you say I felt attached to the car. Why that would be, cannot explain it, normally I struggle with trying to get anything much from a 2D image, that is a big weakness for me, quite often not spotting over steer till it becomes bleeding obvious, not so with VR. I first used it on a old RWD car I was having real problems with in 2D, as soon as I was in VR, It felt that I could do anything with the car and get it back.
Once in VR I could actually feel the car, strange but true.
But the outside world resolution is just terrible. I have a 49” 1440p monitor just 17” from my old eye balls, pin sharp it is too, even that close. And if I use shaders and it’s HDR features it makes for a spectacular viewing platform.
Even after that I would still prefer VR, but not as they are at present.
So you are defending something I love, well not physically of course. :unsure:

I'm afraid Wednesdays are a bit unreliable for me -- I often have late meetings and only know whether I'm going to attend when the agenda gets posted on Wednesday afternoon, hence why I had to flake before :)

This week I'm quite sure I'll be needed, so I'd rather not mess you around. Otherwise I'd have loved to join :thumbsup:

Hi Guys, Room for a new face?
Hi mjbtv, it would be a pleasure my friend, and welcome! :)

1st thing though.... go back to the first & second posts and have a good read, there's links to the rules there and you'll need to show your real name here, on the servers, and on Teamspeak. All the links are there for the info you need, though if you want a hand just come back here and shout. :thumbsup:

Hi mjbtv, it would be a pleasure my friend, and welcome! :)

1st thing though.... go back to the first & second posts and have a good read, there's links to the rules there and you'll need to show your real name here, on the servers, and on Teamspeak. All the links are there for the info you need, though if you want a hand just come back here and shout. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome! Just picked up a budget wheel recently so thought I'd give this a go. I'm by no means the quickest but I try to be as fair and respectful as possible :) Have added my full name and will get setup on teamspeak this evening before the race. Best I get some practice in!

Thanks for the welcome! Just picked up a budget wheel recently so thought I'd give this a go. I'm by no means the quickest but I try to be as fair and respectful as possible :) Have added my full name and will get setup on teamspeak this evening before the race. Best I get some practice in!
Excellent Mathew, and if you get chance try to get a trial run on the practice server to check all's working. And don't concern yourself with speed, just have fun. :)

I'm not a fan of the car or the track :redface: Sorry.

If you need to make the numbers I'll do it.
You're a gent Patrick, it would be good if you can, though understand if you can't:)

--------------------------

Would have loved more entries obviously, though trying to think of something different the majority likes seems to have bitten me in the arse this time, c'est la vie :redface: - I can't wait to see if the pc problem I had (only when online) is fixed.

Yesterday the amazing @Rasmus spent hours finding a fix and tweaking the nether-regions of pc parts I didn't know existed:laugh:. Huge thanks to him and so far the difference is truly mind blowing, like watching a film:inlove:

And once again, thanks to all for your help, suggestions and kind comments, you're an amazing bunch:)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%