Looking for help with rig selection

Hi I'm just in the process of building a new rig but would like to tap into people's ecperiances/thoughts on what cockpit to be looking at and going for. I will be running a DD base for sure most likely simucube 2 Pro or fanatec 1 - 2 depending if something comes up in second gand market, heusinkveld pedals also VR so not to worried about monitor mounts etc. First what do people recommend and why, what issues maybe people have had. All I can really think of is that it need to be strong enough with no flex to take what I'm going to be putting through it. I mostly race f1/single seater etc but also do a lot of other things so don't want this to be a limiting factor just need it to be comfy enough to do many hours in it. As at the mo I have a real f1 cockpit which cripples you after few hours and as can imagine not great to get in And out of haha look forward to makes and names I should be looking at and maybe things to shy away from thanks

Lots of options but, whatever you chose, be sure to go for aluminium slot profiles. They are strong and extremelly versatile to make adjustments for your configuration. There are several manufactures that sell rigs made with some kind of slot profiles. One on the best and most popular is Simlab, with their P1 cockpit. Another option, which will make you save some money, is to build it youself. You just need to buy the profiles, the brackets, screws and all the stuff you need and make the assembly. It's not as straightforward as buying a already-made cockpit, but it's more fun and creative. It also depends on whether your have time and patience or not.

Upvote 0
I concure with @Elaphe ,

aluminium profile is the way to go for versatility and futureproofing.

My personal rig is build from second hand profile and has grown with my addiction.
In the beginning it only held wheelbase, pedals and seat together when i was driving GTSport on my PS4 in front of the TV.

Today I have a triple monitor system with loadcell pedals, two shifters, dashboard, mouse and keyboard trays and a handbrake in the works.

All of this can be bought from the usual suspects ( in stages when necessary) or build by yourself.

If you find the time to plan your rig there are plenty of ideas in the web,m a good starting point would be the

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/show-us-your-rig-cockpit.19/ thread.

Mark on the other hand has seriously overdone it :cool::

If DIY is not your thing just find the profile rig you want to afford and start as small as necessary.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
I can recommend the TrackRacer aluminum rigs , I have a TR80 with a DD1 and HE pro pedals with the inverted pedal mount and my own seat and find it very solid with no flex just stay away from their steel tubing rigs as I had one previously and it had way too much flex

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info I've looked at the p1 x and also the tr160, interesting to know the tr80 is strong enough. Im gonna look into where I could get some alu profile like they use and the hardware brackets etc try price it up see if it's worth my hassle or not, but I like the idea of building my own. As I side point does any one have or used butt kickers are they worth it, do they give you better feeling for the car underneath you or not. I wouldn't be adding them at this point due to money but would be interested if there any good not even sure how they work another thing I have to research. But thanks again for input its helped with my choices I think haha

Upvote 0
I’m also in the same boat. I just looked at the Trakracer TR80, based on the recommendation in this thread, and I’ve got to say, to me it looks like very poor value for money when compared to the Sim-lab GT1 evo (based on UK prices).

Regarding Alu profile... I would say Motedis is a good option if you are in mainland Europe. Import duties / VAT are an issue if you are in the UK.

Regarding Buttkickers, they are absolutely awesome IMO. I wouldn’t be without mine. They really add to the experience massively.

For BKs you need 2 sound cards / devices. (I think you might be able to use your gpu + motherboard), one for game sounds, one for the BK. Personally, I use my motherboard and a pci soundcard, but if the gpu option doesn’t work, I think the cheapest / easiest option is probably a USB soundcard. You will also need software to drive the BK, I use Simhub and it’s great. It’s all pretty easy once you start.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Depends on where you are located , here in Australia the Trakracer rigs are the cheapest aluminum rigs you can buy , I even priced it up to purchase the extrusions and connectors myself and I couldn't match their price so it was not worth it , I just purchased their rig.
I could say the same about the Sim labs rigs purchased here in Australia as they are very expensive in comparison.
I also know in the US Trakracer is one of the cheaper extrusion rigs you can get.
I had a but kicker on the rig and ended up removing it a month later as it really did nothing to enhance the experience for me , the only vibration I ended using was for gear changes as everything else just felt very unnatural and I didn't like it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Get an 80/20 rig. The type is up to you and your budget. I stared with an RSeat S1 and it was terrible. Could never use a DD wheel base, it would shake like crazy. I would also recommend you find a company with good customer support. I have a Simlab and they are great to deal with, RSeat was terrible - something to consider.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back