• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Logitech G25 missing shifter - options?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by cerbera84, May 31, 2019.

1. cerbera84

cerbera84

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! I've just started my journey into sim racing - I've played various racing games over the years, from Microprose's GP2 to F1 2018, but always with a controller/joystick. I've purchased a Logitech G25 to get started, I know its an old model but I figured I didn't want to splash out and find out I don't play with it. The G25 wheel, paddles and pedals are good, but I've now realised that its missing the shifter. Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement? I've seen G29/920 shifters but I'm not sure if they are backwards compatible with the G25?

Can anyone offer any solutions?

Cheers,

2. Redvaliant

Redvaliant
    Premium

Ratings:
    +167
    The G29 shifter looks a bit rubbish to be fair, I'd look for a cheap G27 shifter. The G25s will mostly be toast by now as they had rather feeble wiring inside them. You can use a G27 shifter with an adapter from leo Bodnar as the G25 does not recognise the later shifters. This makes it a standalone usb device. http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/images/G25-G27-shifer-box.jpg

3. RasmusP

RasmusP
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,987
    For the price of a G27 shifter + Bodnar adapter I'd say:
    sell the G25 you have now and buy another second hand G25 including the shifter.
    I never heard about the shifters failing. Redvaliant seems to have a different set of experience though.

Or maybe you can sell the G25 and get a G27 with shifter :)

4. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,869
    I'm still using a G25 Shifter (as a Rally handbrake) and it's never failed me in the 15 years (plus) that I've had it.
    I use mine with the Bodnar adapter.

5. Redvaliant

Redvaliant
    Premium

Ratings:
    +167
    The G25 shifter is a better logi shifter than the other two - it has a sequential mode as well as H gate. My experience with one for 9 years or so was the shifter started to mis shifts or jump out of gear after 5 years or so. I fixed the connectors about 5 times with solder and a prayer. It was a a common problem with the G25 shifters. The G27 would be my pick for a good cheap logi wheel,

6. cerbera84

cerbera84

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies so far! I've just received my second G25 setup, so now I have two steering wheels, two sets of pedals, one shifter, and one power supply! So I'll need another power supply, any recommendations?
    My plan was to use a steering wheel and pedals without a shifter, but when I load F1 2018 for instance, the keyboard and mouse wont let me select any options (they just don't respond). I think the PC thinks the shifter is there, is there a way to disable it as an option? Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.