Lake Garnett GP - 1963

Tracks Lake Garnett GP - 1963 0.9

Login or Register an account to download this content
Thrashy submitted a new resource:

Lake Garnett GP - 1963 - A short-lived stop on the SCCA national race calendar, where one year the stars landed in Kansas.

In 1959, a group of local business owners and racing enthusiasts in the small Kansas town of Garnett eyed up the 2.85-mile road in the park on the north side of town and said to each other, "we could run a race here." In concert with the Kansas City Region of the SCCA, they did just that, putting on a massively popular -- and dangerous -- event for the next five consecutive years.

View attachment 521059

The event drew racers...

Read more about this resource...

This is such a well-detailed mod of a track I haven't heard of and it's highly impressive.

Btw the track map doesn't line up using MapDisplay app (on the right). Maybe you can fix it...? Other than that great work dude.
20211129175213_1.jpg

If you are using Map Display - put these two attached files into your td_garnett1963 track folder/ui
This should keep your cars on the map.

Attachments

• outline_cropped.png
    outline_cropped.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 72
  • outline.png
    outline.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
This track is really well done, but there are two things, that break the immersion in VR.
The AI cars drive through the player car, when they leave the pits and sometimes they crash into the hay bales at the pit entrance.
Could you rearrange the position of the AI cars in the pits. Two lines of AI cars, one on the left side and the other on the right side of the pitlane with the pitlane path in the middle, would be perfect.

The second problem is the reflection of the water of the lake. It's not realistic in VR.

Last edited:
If you are using Map Display you can record and save the new track map for yourself by driving one lap at any speed after you press record.
This works for me on every track I have tried.
You must use the app: Track Map Display
Available at:

Last edited:
Thanks all for your interest and your comments! I am planning to put another polish pass on this to go to v1.0, and this all helps.

re: Map Display, I do not use the app and I'm not sure why it wouldn't align with the official Kunos app. In any case, the track map is a work in progress. I had Big Plans to do a custom map in the awesome retro style of the map included in the event programs, but ran out of time. I'll take a closer look at that issue when I revisit that.

The water reflection should default to CSP's built-in water shader if you have it enabled in the settings, but I accidentally disabled that the other day and the default was... not great. I am going to spend a bit of time on some proper maps to use the stFlow shader on the water, hopefully that will be a better experience in VR.

re: the AI at the dam, I had that issue more or less tuned out with the cars I was using, but I can't guarantee good behavior across the board. That spot is especially tricky since the track narrows significantly at the dam, and the collider for the wall on the right is (realistically) quite prone to grabbing a corner and spinning the car. It's already flagged as a DANGER section in the ai_hints file, and I can adjust the track limits to try and enforce the AI giving it a wider berth, but if they approach the corner two wide and the outside car tries to muscle the inside car rightward carnage is pretty inevitable.

Last edited:
re: the AI it just misses the boundaries files (side_l.csv and side_r.csv), that usually solves any AI problem.
I can make it if you want and a new camera set too. There there a few guys here who know how to make AI side lines as well

This terrain mesh and colliders are worth checking everywhere in off track and run off areas. Turns Flatiron and Richmond corner rail tracks part, the lake, the s/f bend Clubhouse. There is an issue with off track surface and holes in several places where the cars just fall through and into the void. The track is very fun and dangerous. A bit narrow and for some cars it's not hard to put a wheel on the grass. If you do this, you will probably miss the braking point and slide on the grass but still save it and stop the car with these big run off areas. But no, then you fall through some hole in the terrain mesh.
The colliders for walls and haybales at the dam are worth checking as they eat the cars. Not just bending the wheel toe with damage, but AC-bugging out the suspension completely.

I wore my 2020 Garnett Lake GP long-sleeve T-shirt yesterday. Missed the 2022 running unfortunately. Definitely worth a 3-4 hour drive if you're in the Midwest!

Glad to see this track for AC!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back