Kubica Announces Departure From Williams At Season End

[...] Russell didn't just beat Norris in F2, Russell absolutely obliterated him.
You, sir, should go ahead and rewatch the 2018 F2 season. While I agree that Russell had quite the upper hand in terms of points, he certainly wasn't 'obliterating' Norris. Also comes down to the fact that Russell was just with one of the best teams in GP2/F2 history, while Carlin just came back from a hiatus. You'd have to look behind wikipedia to see what was going on there.

Also, these "comparison by comparing to someone else" make absolutely no sense at all.

I'm not surprised by his leaving I was expecting it all along after the first few races, Kubica want's to be competitive and with the current state of Williams there is no chance of that, how competitive he would be is another story which I don't think we will ever find out as this was his last shot at F1 IMO.

On another note to do with the above this might be a seat to give Hulkenberg a drive in 2020, whether other opportunities will arise or whether Hulkenberg would even consider going to Williams is something else....I guess we'll have to wait and see, if there is nowhere else to go it might be a smart move.

You, sir, should go ahead and rewatch the 2018 F2 season. While I agree that Russell had quite the upper hand in terms of points, he certainly wasn't 'obliterating' Norris. Also comes down to the fact that Russell was just with one of the best teams in GP2/F2 history, while Carlin just came back from a hiatus. You'd have to look behind wikipedia to see what was going on there.

Also, these "comparison by comparing to someone else" make absolutely no sense at all.
I didn't use Wikipedia (not a fan, controlled info especially when it comes to some political stuff and history) but, you're right, I didn't do my homework before commenting and that's something I try not to do often but slipped up this time. As soon as I read he drove for Carlin, I assumed he was at a top or near-top team because of Carlin's history. I didn't know Carlin stepped away and just came back. My bad.

I haven't read the entire thread, but no - not surprising, but I wouldn't really knock against Kubica either. Even without the injury, being away from F1 for that long and being competetive would be a big ask even if he went to a better team. There are several good places he could land and be competetive (if he's really still "got it"), there's no disgrace in my opinion of not being an F1 driver. In terms of quality and depth of competition, F1 frankly isn't the best. I watch lots of different series, and to be honest sports car racing has become my favorite. Close racing, cool cars, great drivers, great tracks - if he's still fast Mr. Kubica can be a star there.

5 seconds between Kubica's Q1 time and Leclerc's Q3 pole.

5 ... seconds ....

Despite that I appreciate the guy I don't understand people who claim his return had a good outcome.
Russell is about 5 seconds off Leclerc's time too. So does that mean Russell hasn't had a good outcome either? If the car is 5-ish secs off the pace then it's 5-ish secs off the pace - can't do anything about that.

Kubica is 3 tenths off Russell's time in one of the longest laps of the season. For comparison, Bottas is 7 tenths off Hamilton, Albon is 6 tenths off Verstappen, Norris is 5 tenths off Sainz. In terms of extracting as much out of the car as their teammate, Kubica did a better job than Bottas, Albon, and Norris. And it's not like Russell is a bad driver so you can't say "well it's not saying much being 3 tenths off Russell's time." Russell is a darn good driver, probably world champ material.

We have barley noticed him all season. He did get the car up there in Singapore. Caught on fire at SPA, And striped of a manhole cover at Azerbejan.
F1 is to intense for him but i believe he will do well elsewhere.
I am not shore given a better a car (Renault, HASS, Racing Point) he would of had that much more luck.

Williams should not of fired Paddy Lowe, they should of forced him to drive the car all season :)
The problem with Paddy Lowe is the team is developing new technologies. And they don't want data from the innovations going to a rival team that could pick him up. Work had already started on the 2020 car by now. And Frank Williams is tight with money so good people are under paid. So its hard to get skilled staff.

I can only imagine what might of been for Kubacia if he had not had the rally accident. He could of won races and even a world championship. Like many who get into F1 the talent has faded away. Just remember it takes a lot to get into F1 even if its the back of the pack in the worst car. A lot of time dedication and money is needed. Lets face it if i was in the car i would probably not make the 107% of the pole time to start the race. Or i would crash hard and die or put myself in a wheel chair for carrying to much speed.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back