Kubica Announces Departure From Williams At Season End

Pleased that he got a chance to come back after his accident, unfortunately the dream wasn't to be. The writing was on the wall with his rookie team mate consistently beating him.

Wish him all the best for whatever comes next.

To be far to him though, if you look at drivers first seasons after coming back from a hiatus, he certainly hasn't been the worst (I'm looking at you Mr Villeneuve...), in fact I wouldn't say he was far off Schumacher's first season back at MB. Once you add in the injuries sustained in the meantime I think he has done a great job, just sadly, the car and the timing in the current F1 climate didn't bode well from the start. Hopefully he can do well in other series' though.

I dont feel too bad for him. Every time he sucked he blamed it on the car, on his team mate, on his team. Remember when he said that his car was slower than his team mate on purpose? You really wanna feel bad for a veteran of the F1, in the worst current team in F1, claiming that he's doing bad because his team is sabotaging him?

Here's a suggestion for you....Jamie Chadwick. Her name keeps being mentioned, you could argue she's not ready for F1 but if the budget was there who knows? I bet the media will be pushing that one like crazy.
I don't think she has sufficient points yet for a super license. I thought I'd seen this discussed on social media somewhere and although she did get points toward it I think she has to have a go in either FIA F3 F2 or something equivalent. If I'm wrong, my apologies to Jamie

I'm glad he got the opportunity. Nothing would have been worse for him than wondering 'what if'.
It is now time to give one of the young 'guns' a chance to test...however bad the car is at the moment.
Robert...as good of a driver as he is, cannot seem to come to terms with this new era.
Time to move on...sadly.

Last edited:
A great driver before his injury with huge potential but sadly it wasn't to be.

Kubica flipped the meaning of Pole Position in F1 this season.

Being payed to come last every race, sounds like a cool gig too me, shame he wasn't worth it. So now he will do what he should of done in the 1st place, allow someone with talent to drive the slowest cars in F1, he should never of had the drive to start with, he was never going to do well and wasted a year of his and Williams time.

I hear so many stories of Williams favoring Russel with the car and also with regards to engineers, setup direction, etc. Not sure how much truth there is to it but I've heard quite a few things. Regardless, I still think Kubica is performing very good. Remember, Lando Norris is a darn incredible driver - probably world champ material - and Russell didn't just beat Norris in F2, Russell absolutely obliterated him. It's possible Russell may be a "top-of-the-top" driver (like Schumacher, Senna, Alonso, Hamilton and probably Verstappen). If Russell is indeed that good then I'd have to say Kubica's performance has been very good.

I feel Kubica should be given 1 more year. What if Kubica is better than 80% of the grid but we aren't perceiving it that way because Russell is so phenomenally good?

Last edited:
His comeback can still be viewed as a success. After such a bad injury leaving him with a disability, he did make it back to F1. I am pretty sure he won't be remembered for his final season with Williams, but instead the success he had prior to his accident. I hope he continues his racing career in another series and we surely all wish him the best.

It's a pity that Roberts comeback wasn't a little more successful but I think how knows now that in F1 he is out gunned. His injuries I think are just too extensive for him to be competitive. Even if he was to be the 2nd driver in another team 2019 would have been his last year. There are just too many better/able bodied drivers out there for him to compete against. Hopefully he finds a good category to be competitive in and can put a few more W's against his name. Good luck with the future RK.

I think you need to double check the points standings:

19. Kubica - 1 pts
20. Russell - 0 pts

:p

But yeah no surprise the kid is faster, he doesn't know how an F1 car should handle, so he's adapting better.

If you look to race results, Kubica was in front of Russell only 2 times. He was just lucky one of those times was a race where half the field crashed.
If you look at the standing, yeah he was better.
If you actually watched the races and qualifying sessions, we was completely beaten by a rookie

If you look to race results, Kubica was in front of Russell only 2 times. He was just lucky one of those times was a race where half the field crashed.
If you look at the standing, yeah he was better.
If you actually watched the races and qualifying sessions, we was completely beaten by a rookie
I think you read his comment with humor switched off. ;)

For most races their cars were different. Yet when Russel tried Kubica’s car, he said it’s different but not slower. Kubica complained much more about the car , had grip problems. Probably due to his aggressive driving style used tires much quicker. Maybe if they both had decently handling car the gap wouldn’t be such big. But Russel is big talent for sure.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 350 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 243 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%