Kerbal Space Program

Are you talking about 0.18.2? If so I haven't updated to that yet - typical updater being unco-operative. I'll give that a try all the same... I was afraid that ending the flight of the debris would end the flight of the main mission.

I installed the remotetech add-on (you need line of sight to keep control of your unmanned probes, you have lightspeed delay on far away vessels, etc). Awesome.

And then I built a launcher to put up a full network of relays in a single go.

ZzMZP.png

bhO2m.png

Probably one of the best games ever.

I've put a decoupler onto the circular girder part - that's going to act as a fake "satellite dish" for the probe. Don't tell the engineers that though. ;)

I'm facing a problem though - when I'm making my gravity turn to get into Kerbin Orbit, the whole spacecraft starts spinning and the ASAS modules are doing nothing to prevent it. even when I take control manually and try to stop the spinning, there is no real result. I've tried augmenting the craft with winglets, but still the rocket spins. Any idea what I can do to prevent this?

I'm going to put SAS units on the three supplementary rockets and see how that goes...

EDIT: I've isolated the problem... it's the central structure. It seems to gain a mind of its own once the supplementary rockets are detached, even though the SAS remains switched on... :unsure:

It might be possible that the supplementary rockets were attached slightly off-centre to the radial decouplers on the central rocket. the force from decoupling would have been applied in such a way that it set the central rocket spinning... I'll test this after I get some rest.

It might be possible that the supplementary rockets were attached slightly off-centre to the radial decouplers on the central rocket. the force from decoupling would have been applied in such a way that it set the central rocket spinning... I'll test this after I get some rest.

Check if by accident you flipped the command center upside down (the manned pods are kind of obvious, but if it is a probe, sometimes they look the same). I made once a craft where I did this, resulting in a swap of the control directions. Once it started spinning, the ASAS would try to correct it by spinning even more (I could see the winglets pointing to the wrong side, that is what finally gave me the clue).

I've done some more testing. I'm fairly sure that the command centre is the right way up, as the craft (the centre rocket unit with all other parts detached) moves as it should. I can get it under control now, it just takes forever to actually move the damn thing. I will be holding down/tapping the movement keys for something like 30 seconds and only get half a degree of movement per second on the navball, if that. And then, once it's moving in the right direction, it takes ages for it to stop. it's like there's too much mass to move quickly. Would RCS thrusters help?

I've done some more testing. I'm fairly sure that the command centre is the right way up, as the craft (the centre rocket unit with all other parts detached) moves as it should. I can get it under control now, it just takes forever to actually move the damn thing. I will be holding down/tapping the movement keys for something like 30 seconds and only get half a degree of movement per second on the navball, if that. And then, once it's moving in the right direction, it takes ages for it to stop. it's like there's too much mass to move quickly. Would RCS thrusters help?

Yes. Alternatively, you can add a command pod to the stack, the command pods have quite a lot of torque.

Modified design, with RCS thrusters added and the layout changed to a quad-booster design.

j1iRGl.jpg

Let's see how this goes. EDIT: just noticed I made a mistake with the staging, fixing that now...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back