Kerbal Space Program

It seems that my original thread was lost to the sands of time, so I'll post one up again.

Anyways... This is an in-development space sim! It's a wide open sandbox at the moment, but the intention is to simulate running your own space program, and all the rocket-building and flying that goes with it... organising the stages your rockets operate through, getting off the ground, getting into orbit, tracking your spacecraft, orbiting and landing on celestial bodies, that sort of thing.

It's pretty much simulator-grade realistic in terms of actually simulating the dynamics and mechanics of spacecraft and planets/moons/stars/etc., but it injects a bit of cartoonish fun to make it very approachable and enjoyable in my view.

www.kerbalspaceprogram.com

So has anyone else tried this? Anyone else enjoy playing it, or enjoyed it enough to purchase the (in-progress) full version?

Well... being rather stressed these last few weeks, I've decided to take it out on some fictional little green squishy aliens, and send a Kerbal Spacecraft into the sun. But I'm not even having any luck with that! Just getting out of the atmosphere of Kerbin is a challenge, and it's very hard to get enough fuel to last the journey, but not so much that you barely get off the ground.

I'll keep you guys posted on my intrepid adventures in KSP...

some pics from me playing

screenshot13v.png

screenshot12i.png

screenshot11tw.png

screenshot10ps.png

screenshot9fj.png

screenshot8m.png

screenshot7gm.png

screenshot6sz.png

screenshot5ck.png

screenshot4wx.png

screenshot3wx.png

screenshot2pq.png

screenshot1mjr.png

screenshot0lh.png

ksp2012102817030872.jpg

Oh, I just want to start visiting other worlds. Problem is, I either have too much weight to get off the ground, or too little fuel to complete the operations I need to do...

The trick to get spacecraft capable to get to other planets is to get enought fuel ( reffered as Delta-V) and the Thrust to weight Ratio (T/W), To make it easier you can calculate both of these properties.

Below is a chart from the Wiki to give you the Delta-V requirements for the other planets

CEZS1.png

and to work out how much Delta-V your spacecraft has you can use this equation :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation

To work out the thrust to weight ratio you can probarbly guess what it is (Thrust of engine / Weight X gravity (9.81)). Best thing is to aim your thrust to weight to ratio to be around 2.

Also here is a tutorial from the Wiki that will help alot.
http://kspwiki.nexisonline.net/wiki/Advanced_Rocket_Design

Thanks for the equation Bruno... having trouble making sense of it though, as I'm not sure where to get certain values from. I'll go into detail about that later...

On the other hand, I experimented with my rocket design, and I've escaped the Kerbin System! This capsule is now orbiting the Sun. I decided to do an IVA and saw that Kerbin, the Mun and Minmus were actually perfectly lined up in my view window... so I decided to take a shot of the Kerbin System.

They form a triangle in space. Clockwise from upper left: Kerbin, Mun and Minmus.

tjFrdl.jpg

I was talking about the radial decouplers, for some reason the snaps weren't working right and I couldn't figure that out. for some reason it works now haha.

I'm getting intermittent lock ups tho, i looked at the forums and found that lots of people are having that issue in pretty much every version :/

Looks like 0.18 is going to be awesome!

The Maneuver Node system is a brilliant addition and will definitely take a lot of the guesswork out of my orbital maneuvers... and the landscape of Pol is strangely beautiful.
The music is also a nice addition - I've always appreciated understated or ambient background music in games.

I also couldn't help but notice the terrain updates for Kerbin... I'll have to do a bit of exploring when that gets released...

I too like the manouver system, it should really help with the rendevouz manuvers.
It also helps when you are trying to dock with other spacecraft (saw it in a different video) which makes it much easier than actually trying to calculate them. :)

I just had to purchase this last night, especially when I found out all the cool things you could do in .18

Unfortunately I haven't had time to play it yet, but I think I'mma go all night and try to build a high orbit space/refueling station xD

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 191 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%