Jenson Button to Retire from Formula One?

I remember Jense as a young kid at the start of his F1 career with Williams.
In some cases it seems really long ago....in others not.
If he is unhappy...(and who wouldn't in his current position having driven some of the best cars on the grid).... then it's time to go do something else.
He's got plenty of money.
Take time to rest and enjoy it and his family.
He clearly took a 'hit' when his dad died suddenly.
Sometimes it's just time to re-evaluate what's important and what's not.

As a driver, he's amazing, one of the best, and should definetly not retire.

But the issue is where to go.. in F1 unfortunately there is no more place in a winning team unless you are in a young driver programme, no matter how good you are.

Again, I'd really like him to stay as he's an amazing driver. But it's better for him to leave and race elsewhere, Honda isn't improving sadly, McLaren can barely score points, let alone win, and with the Manor-Mercedes they are becoming absolute backmarkers next season.

oh and wait wasn't Honda supposed to be on the podium in Japan? :rolleyes:

Would love to see him drive for HAAS for a year or two alongside a young talent who he could mentor. I'm a Jenson Button fan. He is a true Gentleman Race Drive.

Then he could take his skills to the WEC. I'd love to see him battle Webber and his Porsche but they are more likely to end up as teammates.

I wonder, though,... how does signing big name (retired) F1 drivers drive up the cost in WEC? Must cost a pretty penny to employ a driver of Buttons level (former world champion)?

I wonder, though,... how does signing big name (retired) F1 drivers drive up the cost in WEC? Must cost a pretty penny to employ a driver of Buttons level (former world champion)?

Interesting point, like other people on here have mentioned he's made his millions so maybe a competitive car is more important than the pay cheque? In interviews I've seen he always comes across as a petrolhead, considering the year he's having if he was offered a good race seat but based on a results clause maybe he would jump at the chance? I'll be honest I have no idea what the Webber contract situation is, all I know is he's a lot happier where he is now! haha.

I understand his frustration. He's already retired from a handful of races, why not just retire from all of them. He might as well be driving for Manor. It's not for lack of talent. Button took a no-name that for all intents and purposes was underfunded and won a championship with his consistancy and tenacity. It's ashame this is what he's been reduced to.

I voted no. I'm not really a big Button fan (sorry for the fans). But I think he has some good years left in him to compete in F1. Honda and McLaren will get there but it will take some time. I think 2018 should be a year that the Honda/McLaren combination should work really well.

I'm a long time Button fan, having first met him in his F3 days and been following him ever since but I think its best that he goes to do something else. WEC is in rude health and this would be the ideal time to make the switch. He's also expressed interest in V8 Supercars in the past, unlikely to happen I guess but maybe he could do the enduro events.

As far as I'm concerned these last couple of seasons take nothing away from him as a driver, he may not have that Senna-esque raw ability of Hamilton but he is still a world champion, something I never thought would happen after those tough two seasons with Honda.
He had a decent debut season, was best of the rest in 2002 - a season where the top 3 teams took the all points positions when they all finished. Best non Ferrari in 2004 and had a handful of decent seasons at McLaren that probably wouldn't have happened without the 2009 championship.

But what if these issues stay. I don't see McLaren being competitive until 2017.

Besides they have young drivers they need to bring up before a team steals them
I would hate to see him make the same mistake that Alonso made with Ferrari. IMO it wouldn't hurt staying another year, things can only get better with the PU. I guess hindsight is a beautiful thing.

• Deleted member 161052

It's alright from me if he retires, from Denmark all of us want Kevin Magnussen back in F1.

If I was attacked by gas burglary like he was, I would not have been able to build back the focus needed in F1. But then again, I am not an athlete like these guys, so who knows.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back