Jenson Button: 2018 Super GT Champion

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Button Super GT Winner 3.jpg

Jenson Button and Honda have secured the 2018 Super GT Championship - the Briton becoming the first rookie winner in the competitive series since 2005.

Button, 38, produced the goods with team mate Naoki Yamamoto in the #100 Team Kunimitsu NSX GT500 to secure the all important third place finish in Motegi, just edging title rivals Ryo Hirakawa and Nick Cassidy in the #1 TOM'S Lexus LC500 by less than two seconds in a tense season finale - wrapping up a debut championship success for the 2009 Formula One World Champion in his return to full time motorsport following retirement from Formula One at the end of the 2016.

"That was a tough race," Button said. "They are never easy and that's what makes it extra-special.

"This championship is one of the toughest in the world. That's coming from someone who has raced in F1 for so many years. I feel a bit like visitor to this team because these guys have been fighting for so long.

"I couldn't be happier. It's a long time coming from me.

"The last championship I won was nine years ago. That was quite a big one, and this for me at the moment feels just as big. This is so important."
Button Super GT Winner 2.jpg

Button and Yamamoto would need to finish the Motegi season finale ahead of the #1 Lexus in order to secure the first title for Honda since 2010, aided by starting the race from a very solid P2 on the grid, and despite a determined challenge from the Lexus team that eventually brought the car to within just 1.5 seconds of the Englishman heading into the final laps, the former McLaren man held firm and withstood the pressure to keep his slender lead across the line - securing a podium result and with it the decisive points to secure championship success.

With a nine year gap since his last title, the 2009 Formula One championship, this result will be a sweet reminder of what that victory champagne tastes like for the Frome Flyer.

Button Super GT Winner.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 231027

• Deleted member 231027

Awesome driving from Jenson in his first full season of the Super GT and of course Yamamoto did an amazing job with 2 championships for him this season (super formula championship) :D

Óscar Melero

Foxtochop
Marty, I told you not to touch anything!!! What else did you do? What's next? Alonso gets the triple crown???

On-topic: Congrats to Jenson, happy to see he's still on top.

Get in there Jenson boi :D:thumbsup:
That was a great season , i'm happy that i have watched every race of superGT this season, also those final laps at motegi were awesome , i was watching it while chewing my wheel:D

Jb a class act . His driving ability transitioned over to another high caliber motorsport unlike a fair few other f1 drivers who didnt fair too well in dtm.

Splendid job from JB in his rookie season, but to be fair, Yamamoto has arguably been the main driving force behind the Team Kunimitsu Honda title.

It does warm my heart to see Kunimitsu-san pay tribute to Jenson for being super professional and dedicated. I can't help but think that his dual Super GT / WEC career will benefit from the racecraft he acquires in both.

I'd love to see Yamamoto, JB and whatever third driver Honda would like to bring aboard (Hartley maybe?) help Honda beat Toyota at LeMans or in the WEC.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 93 18.7%
  • €151-500

Votes: 132 26.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 86 17.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 50 10.1%
  • €3001-5000