Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Pimax goes on sale for those in the EU/UK that prefer to deal directly with Amazon.

The price is higher than I was expecting although there is a discount for those who buy in the first few hours:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RW71...olid=1P48JLG771RAT&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

61xFNKB7m+L._SL1200_.jpg

Pimax goes on sale for those in the EU/UK that prefer to deal directly with Amazon.

The price is higher than I was expecting although there is a discount for those who buy in the first few hours:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RW71...olid=1P48JLG771RAT&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

View attachment 309159

Had it in my basket, had the 120 pounds off... but just couldn't click buy.. the fact that (reportedly) SDE on 5K+ is about as bad or even worse than Rift CV1... I just can't blind buy that. Guess I'll wait for StarVR this year and pay the big price.

Had it in my basket, had the 120 pounds off... but just couldn't click buy.. the fact that (reportedly) SDE on 5K+ is about as bad or even worse than Rift CV1... I just can't blind buy that. Guess I'll wait for StarVR this year and pay the big price.

That’s just a flat lie whoever said that.

I have a rift and a 5k+. It’s not even close on SDE.

Too expensive for me to even consider putting it in the basket :)

Regarding the SDE, I'd have to agree with Robert. I can't see the 5K having worse SDE than the Rift. I think it would have to be far superior in that area.

That’s just a flat lie whoever said that.

I have a rift and a 5k+. It’s not even close on SDE.

That’s comforting to hear. I read it on Reddit:
https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pimax-5k-review-from-sim-racer/17005

Would you say the 5K+ is the best thing for racing right now? Is the whole FOV usable? Is it sharp enough to see something? Is it without distortion? How big is the sweetspot compared to Rift CV1? How are ergonomics for you? Would you rather have 5K+ or Index? For me 200FOV is very interesting, since it’s all about immersion for me, and apparently FOV is the biggest factor for 'sense of speed'.

• Deleted member 197115

US as well, the hardest to get headset become available with next day delivery with Prime. Hmm.:unsure:

Nah.

That’s comforting to hear. I read it on Reddit:
https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pimax-5k-review-from-sim-racer/17005

Would you say the 5K+ is the best thing for racing right now? Is the whole FOV usable? Is it sharp enough to see something? Is it without distortion? How big is the sweetspot compared to Rift CV1? How are ergonomics for you? Would you rather have 5K+ or Index? For me 200FOV is very interesting, since it’s all about immersion for me, and apparently FOV is the biggest factor for 'sense of speed'.

I only run AC at this stage due to limited time and the fact that AC is quite polished. iracing, from what I've read is a very polished experience on the 5k+ also

Large fov is more like 170 wide. I think they use diagonal to get 200? The sweetspot is quite nice and easy to find. Distortion is a software thing. In AC there's none but in SteamVR home, you'll get distortion and flickering. I run max fov all the time. I love it due to the immersion and seeing side mirrors without turning your head. Ergonomics feel a bit cheap esp the strap but I'm not overly picky. The sharpness is a step above my rift and OD+. It's not a 2D screen ofcourse but it's easy to see brake markers, turn in points and other reference points the track.

I don't have a Valve index or plan to get one but I'm sure it'll be a good device. Personally, I can't go back to a smaller fov. The trade off isn't worth it. My next VR unit will be a couple of years down the road.

Do you have a lighthouse(s)
And is the FFR that Pmax recently introduced a good help with the load on the Gpu?

I use the built in tracking which works fine. If you have motion and such, you might want to look at having a lighthouse.

FFR is a bit useless. To do it right you need eye tracking. In sim racing, your eyes are constantly looking at different parts of the image. FFR is better for slower games where you’re focused in the main circle.

I use the built in tracking which works fine. If you have motion and such, you might want to look at having a lighthouse.

FFR is a bit useless. To do it right you need eye tracking. In sim racing, your eyes are constantly looking at different parts of the image. FFR is better for slower games where you’re focused in the main circle.
Shame about the FFR! But does it improve the fps?
I am tempted to get the 5k+ But it is close to $800 and not sure I could utilize it with a RTX 2070.

Ugh! Bottom line is this is aimed at the enterprise not gamers and they said games are not likely to support it.

That is a nail in the foveated rendering coffin for the short term because it means individual games need to be coded to support it.

We don't even have decent support for RTX video cards. The odds of any software company that isn't aimed at the enterprise to bother with this is miniscule.

Please keep in mind that I do want this technology to happen, but it's apparently not remotely cheap yet and requires too much effort from game companies to make happen any time soon.

• Deleted member 197115

Ugh! Bottom line is this is aimed at the enterprise not gamers and they said games are not likely to support it.

That is a nail in the foveated rendering coffin for the short term because it means individual games need to be coded to support it.

We don't even have decent support for RTX video cards. The odds of any software company that isn't aimed at the enterprise to bother with this is miniscule.

Please keep in mind that I do want this technology to happen, but it's apparently not remotely cheap yet and requires too much effort from game companies to make happen any time soon.
Bottom line - VR is dead, all hail Valve Index. :roflmao:

I doubt it is expensive and the headsets software could support it.
We expect Nvidia to make use of RTX or even GTX to fix VR. But why would they if we continue to spend money upgrading Gpu's
A couple of years ago they came out with plans to render both displays as easy as they do one display but I am sure the sales department must have informed the management they would not sell a lot of of new Gpu's if that tech was released.
Nether is it in MS nor Valves commercial interest that we can run old games in VR as we might buy a lot less new ones.
I am just guessing but not so sure it is technology reasons we do not have the progress we had hoped for at this point.?

So now we are down to conspiracy theories on why we don't have foveated rendering already?

Think about that for a minute....

NVidia's stock is way down because of how poorly their RTX cards were recieved. If they had a way to make their cards the best thing since sliced bread, do you really think that they would decide that wasn't in their best interest?

This is just hilarious to me. First we are thinking it doesn't look like there is any real activity in VR, then we amazingly see a huge amount of activity which is great!

But the unrealistic expectations are just crazy.

Reality Check! These are not even remotely in the smart phone market that gets billions in R&D. It is truly amazing we have so much going on right now.

So the SteamVR ecosystem will continue with base stations for good reasons for the foreseeable future and no foveated rendering is not soup yet. It's still it early stages of development. It's not even the huge jump in performance we were hoping for. So unless it becomes both cheaper AND more efficient, it won't benefit us much.

BTW, I also want a variety of headsets with different priorities to become popular to keep competition alive. I think we all know what we want in the end, but we have very different ideas about what should come first on the way to that perfect headset.

Last edited:
So I got my PImax 5K+ from Amazon: (I currently own an Odyssey+ and had a Rift before that)

First impressions: Setup really easy even without controllers and lighthouses. I got it running quite nicely on ACC..... (and AC)

But and its a big BUT, the screen door... I dont think I can go back to that. I wasnt expecting SDE to be noticeable .... And ive got to say for me personally the extra FOV didnt really add much in the 2 sims ive so far tried. (even on large setting).. Yes I would rather have more FOV than not, but there was no wow factor for me. Maybe I move my head more than the average person so the added FOV is of no real benefit - I dont know. You see thats the thing Ive always thought... all you need to do is move your head abit to 'see more'.... Personal taste and very subjective. But I was expected a greater sense of speed and I just didnt get that.

The image to my taste is not as good as the O+. (SDE and Colours) So much so, I finished the night back on the O+ and much prefer it.

Im going to do more testing and tweaking but my honest first impressions are, I dont think its for me. Im glad Ive got it to see it with my own eyes, but now I know, If im going to swap, it will almost certainly be for the Reverb. Dont get me wrong, its a nice unit (although it does feel cheap in your hands) and if you had nothing else you would love it im sure.... but screen door - I can see further at tracks like Spa with my Odyssey+...

One thing I did learn though... Obviously the Pimax has no earphones so I used my sennheisers - ive not used them in quite a while. Ive always used the O+ headphones. WOW! Ive been missing out in the sound department. Thats something I need to address.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 7.4%