Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
That would probably be me and I just got rid of that 30cm left/right head movement at full tilt by adding a 60 bucks witmotion tracker to my rig with SRS enabling the tracker to speak to OpenXRMC.

So far everything is good, easy to set up, basically works out of the box.

Personally I would consider MC being a must for flight with a motion rig after having experienced it now. For racing I still need to try, but it never annoyed me apart from occasional tracks with banked turns etc.

I'm glad that worked so well. Sounds like exactly what you wanted!

Based on the other information you've mentioned, it appears that SRS is doing a great job cleaning up the signal to give OpenXRMC a smoother motion signal to correct for. I wish the D-Box system had something similar. I'll hope that the OpenXRMC software will evolve to have some damping of the input signal.

Last edited:
So the pixel densities I'm running everything are now the following:

39ppd Native DFR
36ppd Native SDK without DFR ( basically when my camera isn't working )
35ppd everything else.
I know this is besides the point but just wanted to state that there's no such thing as 39 or 36 PPD on the Aero. The Aero is 35 PPD. Plain and simple. Anything more is just using things like supersampling and such. PPD is a hardware thing. You can't magically change it with software. For example. The Pimax Crystal has to use different lenses to go from 35 PPD to 42 PPD. You can't just add a bunch of supersampling, or upscaling, or whatever and then say "ya, I just increased my PPD by another 7".

Lando has a nice set of curved monitors and suggests good pedals and good steering FFB are the things that really matter to him. I'm sure he has learned to read all kinds of cues

Plain and simple
Do you sincerely feel that stating the obvious adds value here?
Current VR tech does not support direct nonlinear rendering to compensate optical distortions.
Resampling for nonlinearity correction must necessarily be implemented at higher than physical pixel resolution in order to preserve detail. Mark is reporting from the near-leading/bleeding edge of consumer VR sim capabilities, which I, for one, appreciate.

If you use head tracking with pancake you can have motion parallax cues as well
Which doesn't feel natural, because you also have to move your eyes in the opposite direction in order to compensate for the screen movement caused by the head tracking (otherwise you're essentially getting justa movement multiplier - you moved your head by X to the right and now you're looking at something that was X*2 to the right before). Yes, you can get used to that, but I'd say this feels like a crutch at best

You stated that there is zero depth perception on flat screen same as with single eye view. Both of these are fundamentally incorrect.
In VR you only gain binocular depth perception which is good for close up "arm length" 1-2m objects. and contributes to a relatively small portion of depth perception when simracing with the rest coming from monocular (single eye) cues.
The game is 3D model projected to 2D screen, so you get your depth cues from perspective, relative objects size, occlusion, etc.
Close one eye and look at the mid to long distance object, how much does it really affect your depth perception.
Yes, it is like a single eye view, sans focus that you can't use. Relative objects size and perspective distortions can only get you so far. It was not enough for me, when, for example, I was learning a new track. In VR, that process for me has become much faster because I could judge distances much better than with triple screens.

If I close one of my eyes in real life and look at an object I can't tell good enough how far it is unless I cheat and use my prior knowledge of the environment (which is not the case when learning a new track). Maybe it's just me, I'm sure that those who had a misfortune of losing one eye's vision adopt to that eventually and can judge distances much better with only one eye left, but they have no choice

Also prevents infection AND stops transmission.
1680121460834.png

That would probably be me and I just got rid of that 30cm left/right head movement at full tilt by adding a 60 bucks witmotion tracker to my rig with SRS enabling the tracker to speak to OpenXRMC.

So far everything is good, easy to set up, basically works out of the box.

Personally I would consider MC being a must for flight with a motion rig after having experienced it now. For racing I still need to try, but it never annoyed me apart from occasional tracks with banked turns etc.
I wish I had the same experience setting up my WIT sensor on SRS. I found it impossible to get the tracking working. The adjustment was so hit and miss I gave up and removed it. Part of the installation also screwed up the ability to tilt seat position in AC which resulted in me having to completely reinstall my software from scratch.

Would love to have MC working properly, but without a proper guide, for me it was more trouble than it was worth. Fortunately I dont use much actuator travel anyway.

Not a perfect fit for me, and it still has some issues but still very interesting.
Pretty fair and informing review.
Something interesting is that he praises the clarity (not brightness) of the kit - eventhough he discovered that he was NOT in the ideal sweet spot in the review.
Because of some error when the face mask was created/measured.
Interesting I would say.
Because then the clarity when the sweet spot thing was solved would be even better!;)

Last edited:
I wish I had the same experience setting up my WIT sensor on SRS. I found it impossible to get the tracking working. The adjustment was so hit and miss I gave up and removed it. Part of the installation also screwed up the ability to tilt seat position in AC which resulted in me having to completely reinstall my software from scratch.

Would love to have MC working properly, but without a proper guide, for me it was more trouble than it was worth. Fortunately I dont use much actuator travel anyway.
Hi narkie44, i am sorry to hear about that. For me it was a matter of 30min to get everything going. We can sync up in PM if there is anything I can help with.

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 132 71.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 44 23.7%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 35 18.8%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 38 20.4%
  • No 3pa registration pages

Votes: 38 20.4%