Is VR dead?

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Wondering if anyone have an idea why each time I start race in VR in AMS2 my cockput view is offset? That is my actual steering wheel does not line up with what I see in game. I've only just started using VR with my Q2 connected via cable to my PC so VR settings are new to me. This offset view does not happen when I launch Dirt Rally 2. This happens in AMS2 even though I have my view aligned centrally before I launch game.

Each game has it's own Center HMD feature. Find the key for that in AMS2 and you should be golden.

This happens in AMS2 even though I have my view aligned centrally before I launch game.

As RC said above you'll want to bind a key to centre the headset in game. On top of that some camera position are a little off in vr and require adjustment.

AMS2 also has choices in the 'virtual reality' options menu to automatically centre upon lauching the game or/and upon going to a track.

Last edited:
Each game has it's own Center HMD feature. Find the key for that in AMS2 and you should be golden.

This is litearlly the first thing I do in any new sim, bind the VR recenter key and I tend to use the same one across multiple sims. Next I'll bind position adjustment buttons if there are any but even if not just shifting your head around while recentering to dial the exact spot is sufficient

Wondering if anyone have an idea why each time I start race in VR in AMS2 my cockput view is offset? That is my actual steering wheel does not line up with what I see in game. I've only just started using VR with my Q2 connected via cable to my PC so VR settings are new to me. This offset view does not happen when I launch Dirt Rally 2. This happens in AMS2 even though I have my view aligned centrally before I launch game.
As RC said, center HMD. The function has different names in different sims, and in some sims it shares itself with other UI buttons (Assetto Corsa Competizione), but ACC has a "Recenter HMD" only button so make sure you use that.
Also, I want to reassure you that this isn't unique to Rift/Quest headsets. I've had this happen with every VR headset. You'll need to get familiar with the reset HMD button. Every sim starts with the UI in a weird place and needing to be reset.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll check this out.Spent most time in Dirt Rally trying get it to run better. Night & Rain causing massive stuttering whearas day & clear weather game ran fine. Just need to tweek graphics setting down.

Thanks. I'll check this out.Spent most time in Dirt Rally trying get it to run better. Night & Rain causing massive stuttering whearas day & clear weather game ran fine. Just need to tweek graphics setting down.

Can't help with DR1 but here's a performance guide for DR2 in VR in case that's what you meant. It's a little bit older and a few things have changed in the ui but it's still valid, I just did a fresh install and used this again and it was a big difference.

It is DR2 so that youtube info helped alot.

I am really impressed so far. I'll be looking in to getting a upgrading to another headset at some point. Possibly a G2 once widely available.

I did have strange effect which seemed to appear when rolled a car - not great at rallying. It was as if I was looking through 3 horizontal lenses. Hard to describe as had one across top, middle & bottom. All clear but centre horizontal was ever so darker than top and bottom. Anyone any idea what may have happened?

Anyone any idea why I am having this issue in VR when playing ACC & AMS2? I have a nice clear image for about a lap then I have one clear image say 2 thirds of my view but but other 3rd is poor resolution. It is like I have one screen above at high resolution but poor resolution below that with artefacts.

Is it just my RTX2080 with Quest 2 are not high enough spec? I am using Steam VR with Oculus link and dropped from 90hz to 80hz but still happens. I've also dropped video settings in both matching other users setting on lesser graphics card than my 2080.

Is it just my RTX2080 with Quest 2 are not high enough spec? I am using Steam VR with Oculus link and dropped from 90hz to 80hz but still happens. I've also dropped video settings in both matching other users setting on lesser graphics card than my 2080.
Your card should be able to run the quest, maybe at lower settings but there should be nothing stopping you from running it. I have the G2 working on my 2070 super scaled back to 70% in ACC.

I wonder if it might have something to do with oculus AWS. It sounds like something is interfering. I was having issues with the G2 until I found out that the software for my monitor was putting itself in the mix, so that had to be turned off.

But your card should be able to run that headset.

It appears to be problem when using a link cable as just had a tried AMS 2 & ACC using VirtualDesktop over my Wi Fi and image stayed clear. That's strange as I have a USB c to USB c cable connected to my RTX2080 and within Oculus desktop app test shows link as USB 3 at 2.4 Gbps which should way outperform a wireless connection. Using wireless the image isn't quite same quality as when on cable until cable starts to perform badly.

• Deleted member 197115

Pretty detailed overview of Facebook account for Oculus devices requirements.
If I owned Oculus, I wouldn't be happy about these draconian rules and privacy invasion, FB is pushing it way too far.

Last edited by a moderator:
That appalling! Do you remember the good old days when you paid money for a product, and once you owned it, it was your to use however you wanted?

I was genuinely considering a Quest 2, but having read that article, there's no way I would buy one :(

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but this is the way things are going.
Global tracking of everyone on the planet is what they are bringing.

Here are the listed partners of the World Economic Forums dream....
The Great Reset

Last edited:
I'm kind of on the fence about Facebook. I'm not against using data for advertising, even though I'm the kind of person who threw out their TV years ago as I just couldn't stand advertising, I think it's brain washing.

All this data can be extremely useful in many ways. For the most part the machines that collect and process that data don't care in any way shape or form what your doing or who you are.

I experience Facebook from both sides, as a consumer and as a business. As a consumer I like that I only see ads that are relevant to me. I don't want to go back to watching ads for dish washer soap, or tampons, or all the other stuff that I either don't care about or are just irrelevant to me.
As an advertiser I don't want to be paying to put my ad in front of someone who may have absolutely no use for my product. Because Facebook can find customers that are actually in the market for my product it's instantly extremely effective at bringing in customers that actually want to buy.

Obviously, a leash needs to be put on Facebook and proper rules and regulations put in place, but over all, I'm not against computers watching humans so they can make our lives easier. I think the benefits of computers watching us far out way the negatives. Most the negatives appear once another human gets involved and try's to misuses that data.

Facebook and the likes will push the tech as far as they can. It's up to government to tell them where the line is.

If you’re touching anything FB related, you know what you’re walking into so none of this should be a surprise.

When I bought my Rift S, I didn't know they owned it, only once it popped up saying about FB late last year, and when it did I groaned.
I bought it on the day of release without knowing much about it at all.
I ONLY have a fb account for some AC content, I don't use SM at all, so I guess in that sense it will be useless for them ultimately.

• Deleted member 197115

Cracking down and banning secondary accounts makes it impossible to have one for Oculus only and with their recent banning spree, losing device and all VR content because of your political views becomes a real possibility.
How do they go around GDPR I wonder.

For me the words "who cares?" come to mind. In our daily lives we're already tracked constantly by numerous different companies in numerous different ways, so what difference does it make?

For example, the majority of people have mobile phones with all manner of apps installed, including the dreaded Facebook. Unless they're very careful with the permissions granted those apps can track your location, the apps you use, the websites you visit, your daily habits, your contacts, and a hell of a lot more besides. Most phones also have at least two cameras on them, one pointing in each direction.

Yet outrage at this (potential) invasion of our privacy is far less prevalent than that generated since this new Oculus policy was announced, and I very much doubt many people will be boycotting mobile phones anytime soon.

So in the grand scheme of things, when we can be easily tracked by phone, PC, ISP, bank account, CCTV, shop reward cards, and "smart" TVs, does it really matter that a VR headset is now going to track the games we play on it? No, not really. Big brother is out there, and we're already in full view.

(Also, for those who already have an Oculus HMD, 2023 will likely be long after we buy new hardware anyway. I was already thinking of switching brand, and it has nothing to do with privacy concerns.)

• Deleted member 197115

Reason we have GDPR, CCPA and similar regulations in place now, and they are actually actively enforced, companies get serious fines for violation of those.
So no, things are not Wild Wild West as they were 10 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Forum trophies