DiRT Rally Is Dirt Rally close to RBR's physics/FFB now?

If your car is losing power or not pulling out of a corner then you must not be popping the clutch I have no problem getting the car to go sideways! (I have a problem maintaining the slide on Dirt or Gravel sometimes but on tarmac no problem)

In RBR its to easy to make your car go side ways you don't even need to use the handbrake at all in RBR you just tap the ridiculously overpowered brakes and turn the required amount and then floor it and your cad never wants to spin out. In DiRT Rally you have to create the slide and then maintain it.

The only things in RBR I like over DiRT Rally are:
1)Damage Model (although its very close to DiRT Rally)
2)Damage Physics (like hit a tree head on youve damaged a radiator bumper front spoiler and there's a chance you have to much damage to carry on)
3)Call for help (It just cooler looking than just spawning back on track after resetting)

And that's it!
DiRT Rally what I like:
1)FFB (although I do use a custom FFB but I do like the standard FFB more than RBR FFB. The only thing RBR does better is frontend you know when you have lost grip or oversteer)
2)Drive Physics
3)Road surface audio
4)The stages are uneven unlike RBR they just go up down up down up down occasionally jump and pot hole. They needs to be alot more added to DiRT Rally though.
5) Graphics (obviously although not the most important thing)

DiRT Rally things I don't like:
1)Damage model and damage physics are way to forgiven.
2) Not enough stages (Rally stages mainly I want more of.

People have to remember also DiRT Rally is an early access game its not a finished product unlike RBR!!

No Let's wait for me to receive hate :) (This is my opinion and I know I'm only 1 out of like 50 people that like DiRT Rally)

FYI: There is no power applied to the wheels by pressing the clutch, the throttle pedal is where it's at :roflmao:

DR is really shaping up to be a cool rally "sim". It's hard to say though....in replays, there's a lot that looks mostly realistic. Visually believable; but when it comes down to it, the braking seems too good, and I can take my 1986 300zx in 3rd gear, 30 mph, and easily make it step out sideways wildly (that's at low rpm too) on gravel. In DR, you need full on clutch kicking, or at least, 100 more horsepower to get that same thing done. Though irl, it's not very "hard" to drive fast, besides the fear of it, the controllability makes DR seem pretty close, however, with RBR, there's a certain level of "I just went too fast, oh no...." that makes it feel life like. RBR has much more direct steering.

FFB wise, RBR still kicks tail. It's raw and unhinged by anything, especially with a T500RS. DR's FFB as of last update is improved, significantly, but it still feels like it's tailing behind somewhat. Dampened? Not sure.

Longitudinal grip feels pretty off in DR, but Lateral feels pretty decent. The bumps n such in both games feel good, however RBR seems much more reactive to it. It's hard to say going from such an old game, and then DX11 tesselated road surfaces. Even rFactor had the old polygonical surfaces on many tracks that felt like bumps, but were just the polys filling in curves and hills.

I assume you don't run full competition gravel tires on your 300zx? ;)

I think sequential takes so long to shifter between gears I find that's why I use h shifter

I like the realistic way of using the right gear box/transmission for the right car.

But even if the clutch were available you shouldn't have to use it in a hairpin situation with a 300BHP car.
It should be very easy to control with your right foot.

Codies said in their latest Dirt Show that they are fixing bits and pieces and I hope the powerlessness in some cars are on that list.

The cars with around 300-400BHP feels overly powerless ( feels more like they have about 100-150BHP :confused: ) but the newly added RallyX cars feels like they actually have 600BHP and you can really control the cars with your right foot. Well done Codies :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Setting the last line from

xxx_gravel_ghymno_tuning.xml file to:

<Tyres Front="low_grip" Rear="low_grip" />

helps a bit. But they still feel underpowered.

Also the 1995 impreza feel VERY sluggish when compared to Lancia Delta or other cars. I know that Delta have shorter wheelbase, but really... in impreza I can't do a hairpin properly, and it's going out from every corner like it weigh 5 tons. In delta on low grip mod otherwise...
I can do this all day long:

Setting the last line from

xxx_gravel_ghymno_tuning.xml file to:

<Tyres Front="low_grip" Rear="low_grip" />

helps a bit. But they still feel underpowered.

Also the 1995 impreza feel VERY sluggish when compared to Lancia Delta or other cars. I know that Delta have shorter wheelbase, but really... in impreza I can't do a hairpin properly, and it's going out from every corner like it weigh 5 tons. In delta on low grip mod otherwise...
I can do this all day long:

what file is this in? Like D:/Games/DiRT Rally/ then what? Cars ai effects folder?

DiRT Rally/cars/models/XXX/tuning/ And there is one XML file for every location. They could be edited in notepad before this RX update, but now they are coded. You'll need Ryder BXML Convertor. You can put the decoded XML files to the tuning folder then - the game will read them properly.

One more thing - there are files for every location for every car - this is weird - there are RX and Pikes Peak tuning settings for cars that couldn't be chosen for that modes (you can't go to hillclimb with Fiesta or Impreza).
Maybe they plan to add possibility, to drive any car on any track, but... maybe it's just game engine limitation - maybe game itself needs files when new locations are added, to work properly.

DiRT Rally/cars/models/XXX/tuning/ And there is one XML file for every location. They could be edited in notepad before this RX update, but now they are coded. You'll need Ryder BXML Convertor. You can put the decoded XML files to the tuning folder then - the game will read them properly.

One more thing - there are files for every location for every car - this is weird - there are RX and Pikes Peak tuning settings for cars that couldn't be chosen for that modes (you can't go to hillclimb with Fiesta or Impreza).
Maybe they plan to add possibility, to drive any car on any track, but... maybe it's just game engine limitation - maybe game itself needs files when new locations are added, to work properly.
Cool I will give it ago in the morning its bed time for me in the UK you don't happen to know how to edit the raceload.jpk I edit it using notepad or wordpad with no luck and then I thought I found a tool on Ryder's website but it only extracts the files from the jpk file not all the game to read it

Could you have a look? It doesn't seem editable in regular notepad or wordpad although in notepad I can get the game not to crash I change when saving the file from ANSI to UCT-8(maybe utc-8) game still doesn't load into any rally stage or Rally X etc it just doesn't crash to desktop

May I just remind that Richard Burns Rally was not a finished game. It was released but it was not 100% finished game. Also, there are many mods created by the fans, which change the physics dramatically. Due to Early Access benefits, DirtRally has got potential to be the best so far.

May I just remind that Richard Burns Rally was not a finished game. It was released but it was not 100% finished game. Also, there are many mods created by the fans, which change the physics dramatically. Due to Early Access benefits, DirtRally has got potential to be the best so far.
True, even Dirt2 & 3 were better with grip-mods; the underlying physics were mostly reality based. It was the high grip and wonky FFB that made them seem worse than they actually were under the hood IMO.

I bought RBR a few months back out of curiosity and for the rally school, which Dirt Rally sorely lacks. Dated graphics and sound aside (I expect that from a 2004 title) it's a great game, but to be honest I always feel like I'm driving a rocket powered hovercraft, barely in control. Maybe it's 103% realistic, (having never driven a high end rally car I can't say) but I don't find it terribly enjoyable, or rewarding enough to persist to the point where it is. I personally hope that Dirt Rally doesn't end up driving like RBR. Even in early access DR is one of the most visceral and immersive (and most importantly enjoyable) sim driving experiences I've had.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back