• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured Is Classic Content Overlooked in Simracing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by leon_90, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Bruno Iwanczuk

Bruno Iwanczuk
    Premium

Ratings:
    +52
    My intention was to share my opinion and know how many people agreed with me, and im not trolling i really think this car is a peace of crap in terms of design, because in my opinion it's ugly as hell. Obviously it's a outstanding machine as a racing car, that's out of discussion.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +5,154
    Bruno Iwanczuk I suggest you dial it back a bit before you end up leaving the discussion.
    Just some friendly advice.

3. Bruno Iwanczuk

Bruno Iwanczuk
    Premium

Ratings:
    +52
    Can you say it in a different way? My english is not very good i didn't understand. What is "dial it back"?

4. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +5,154
    Bruno Iwanczuk
    You've already made your point so no need to keep repeating it, most people have already grasped what you're getting at.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young

Ratings:
    +12
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think that sims are significantly under priced and that because of that software developers are not motivated to develop content that many of us would like, but perhaps not millions of us.

This is a niche hobby and as you start to further segment the content and player base with very specific content like vintage cars, it becomes more niche. That shouldn’t matter as long as developers are able to correctly price their offerings. If AC sold a million copies at $60 and was profitable, then it should be possible to sell a GTL2 at a higher cost in the understanding that it would sell fewer copies. Everyone here understands basic economics I know, so I won’t labor the point.

But would people be willing to pay a higher price?

Firstly, we know that on the whole the sim racing community (or at least the hardcore) skews older and for the most part, that means wealthier too.

Secondly, people routinely spend two or three hundred dollars on Logitech setups and quite a few of us spend very much more than that on our rigs. This is a hobby that people ARE willing to spend money on. It seems like daylight robbery for Kunos to charge as little as $25 for the first release of ACC, a next gen sim title.

Even with this logic, it might be considered too risky to develop a niche vintage title with the intention of charging $100 or more for it. But we live in an age where you have marketing options surely? You could initially offer the game as a Kickstarter offering, reducing much of the risk. You could also have a paid DLC strategy, perhaps with different eras of cars bundled together. And if you look at how successful iRacing have been with their expensive subscription model, you can see that there’s potential for innovation in how sims are priced.

If we want a vibrant sim racing community and would like niche but top quality sims to play then we should accept that we should have to pay a premium for it. The alternative is that we either rely on mods or accept that premium titles will have to be crowd pleasers otherwise the financial risk is to great for devs and publishers to take. I would love an historic motor sports sim and I’d be willing to pay for it!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scarystuff

Scarystuff

Ratings:
    +20
    My vintage community have a race tomorrow evening, so I would like to invite people from this thread to come and join us :)

Game: Assetto Corsa
    Who: Vintage Appreciation Community
    What: Ferrari 250 GTO
    Where: Donington Park 1938
    When: 19.00 CET Sunday
    How: Discord.me/VintageAC
    Server: Mod Edit: link removed.
    No password, no signup, just show up with your happy face on. If you want your face to show up in the livestream, send me your best mugshot in PNG format. Server is up and in practice mode until 19:00 CET. Then 10 min quali and 2x 20 minute race with reverse grid.
    Time until race:Mod Edit: Link removed.

Hope to see many happy people then ;)

EDIT: As most people I didn't bother to read the TOS when signing up for this site, so I was unaware that I was not allowed to link to our race server. However if you do a search for Discord.me/VintageAC in the server browser (turn all filters off) then the race server is one of the three servers that pops up :whistling:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Love Love x 2
  7. raiod

raiod

Ratings:
    +1
    Well some of them are still in action today, and like the old days racing on dirt roads :thumbsup:

8. Miguel Batista

Miguel Batista
    Premium

Ratings:
    +27
    I Lovell cars. I have two offline championships going. One where I am driving the 908 vs the 330 and gt40 (super fun) and another where I am using the excellent gpl mod by Bazza. Just the other day I was on a 3 wide battle in Zandvoort between Jacky Stewart's BRM and Jim Clark's Lotus 49. I was in another Lotus. Again, simple cars. I also enjoy gt3 and there is something to be said about buttons. I love to feel the balance of the car changing and making adjustments to brake bias and traction control to correct it. I wish we had slip diff adjustment on the fly in ac for cars that have it irl. It is a whole other layer of control we have access to. But yeah, more classic cars! For me, one of Kunos biggest mistakes was to indulge the community and include the 2017 Ferrari f1 car that nobody uses instead of the 512S which would play nicely with the 917.

9. Sergio Loro

Sergio Loro
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,253
    yes!! i went at some of this events, pretty cool :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.