iRacing's Upcoming Releases

Yoeri Gijsen

Premium
Let's keep a little thread going about what iRacing has in store for us in the (near) future. Some things have been announced, some targets have been rumoured and who knows what you have picked up in the darkest recesses of the net...

Below I will put up some things I find or found. Please post any news, rumours or hints below so one of the moderators can update this thread.

Cars
  • McLaren MP4-12C GT3 - Next up, but time unspecified
  • Lotus 49 - Next up, but time unspecified
  • RUF Rt12R - October 2012
  • Honda Civic BTCC - May/July 2013
  • Honda HSV-010 - May/July 2013
  • NASCAR Sprint Cup 2013 models - TBA
Tracks
  • Auto Club Speedway - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Hongaroring - Plans
  • Kansas Speedway - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Lukas Oil Raceway - In production
  • Rockingham Speedway - October 2012
  • Interlagos - To be scanned (confirmed!)
  • Miller Motorsports Park - To be scanned
  • New Jersey Motorsports Park - To be scanned
  • Long Beach - 2013
  • Oran Park Raceway - October 2012
  • Tsukuba Circuit - In production
  • Willow Springs - Scanned but on hold
Features
  • Crew chief & spotter functionality - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • Driver swaps - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • DirectX 11 and x64 support - Long term project
  • Dirt and oil build up on windscreen - Side project
  • Enhanced sounds (DirectSound > XAudio2) - Groundwork in next build; the rest later
  • Exhaust fire - Side project
  • Teams - February 2013 at the earliest, but probably later
  • Time transition - Long term and after DirectX 11
Your turn!

We've expanded our rendering pipeline to be able to assign shaders to our track surface geometry instead of being limited to objects and cars.

This lets us finally use normal mapping and spec mapping on the tracks, and makes it possible for us to continue to add further shaders such as detail and parallax maps in the future. Our efforts to upgrade the iRacing graphics engine became a focus in late 2010 when we changed our methods to properly calibrate our textures. Track shaders are yet another, but very important step in our long term project of a DX11 renderer upgrade.

This new feature will debut on one new track and one old track... Twin Ring and New Smyrna. Other tracks from our library will be updated as time permits.

For now, here is a screenshot preview of how things are now on the membersite build at New Smyrna and then how they will be next week after the update. We also hope to release a video tomorrow or Monday:

BEFORE: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/downloadAttach/1219903.page
AFTER: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/downloadAttach/1219902.page

Oh my god, this is stunning!

OH bloody hell that looked incredible!!!!

1219903.page

1219902.page

Just think about this... SPA Suzuka Oulton and Okayama had the new style of textures, they all looked superior to anything in Simracing.

And now to think that neither of them has gotten this update is absolutely incredible.
I like to bash iracing from time to time but one thing they do best of all even Assetto Corsa is racetracks. There´s no question about that one.

I think we (iRacing drivers) will benefit a lot from these "new" games like pCARS, Assetto Corsa and rFactor 2. iRacing will have to make hell of an effort to keep thier player base. Assetto Corsa and rFactor are the biggest rivals and they are pretty damn good. I would say that we are going to get better updates from iRacing from now on.

news of the NTM: "When the new build goes up on Tuesday morning, open wheel fans will be able to race the IZOD IndyCar Series Dallara (complete with the new tire model) on the oval and road course at Twin Ring Motegi. The Twin Ring Motegi road course will also be ..." and: "The Cadillac CTS-V makes its debut in the 24 Hours of Fun at Laguna Seca, Okayama, Mosport, Lime Rock, Infineon, Mid-Ohio and Twin Ring Motegi (East). Don’t despair stock car fans; we haven’t forgotten you. The 24 Hours of Fun 2 will feature the K&N National car (complete with the new tire model) on the Twin Ring Motegi oval, along with old favorites Charlotte and Richmond."

Courtesy of iRacerstuff.com
Steve Myers has apparently confirmed on 5th May that the V8 is getting the NTM.
UPDATE: The new tire model on the V8 should release within the next few weeks. Steve Myers posted that the car is so much better now it needs to be in your hands as soon as possible.

Courtesy of iRacerstuff.com
Steve Myers has apparently confirmed on 5th May that the V8 is getting the NTM.
UPDATE: The new tire model on the V8 should release within the next few weeks. Steve Myers posted that the car is so much better now it needs to be in your hands as soon as possible.

I was just thinking of trying to figure out that thing, guess I should just wait a little :D

Well, don't get your hopes high guys :p

Maintenance Scheduled NO Features: Monday’s scheduled maintenance is primarily for bug fixes and setups. The new league feature will not be included in the update, nor will the new tire model for the V8 (both of which are expected Within the coming weeks.) 5/5
Mouse Over Tips & Setup Notes: Steve Myers posted on his twitter that iRacing is currently in the works to add setup notes and have mouse over help to the garage inside the sim. 5/5

The ingame setup help is a good news if you ask me. At the moment, I am able to successfuly tweak just a couple of basic adjustments and when I want toi change something else, I have to look it up :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.