iRacing to Introduce Single Player AI in 2018...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing AI Confirmed.jpg

iRacing confirm an AI mode in the works for 2018, amongst plenty of other interesting future developments...

iRacing.com, by way of the official members forum, have confirmed plans are afoot to develop single player AI for the simulation, a dramatic shift in direction from what has traditionally been a strictly online only racing title.

Revealed as part of a wider New Year posting by the iRacing staff, the dramatic news of a more traditional AI option within the sim is indeed a very attractive proposition, finally adding that extra dimension to a title that although focussing on online 'head to head' racing still sorely missed the opportunity to take on the cars and tracks in a less formal and more relaxed environment.

Additional highlights from the New Year post include confirmation that the long awaited LMP1 prototype cars should arrive in time for the next season build, and day to night transition should be here as well before 2018 comes to a close.

Exciting times eh? Check out the full post below:

"First of all, Happy New Year to all of our members. We also want to sincerely thank you for your membership. We know that some members are always curious what is next in regard to development. We do try and share what we can when appropriate. Various factors may dictate when we start discussing development on xyz feature, upgrade or xyz content.

We also might not exactly work on what you want as fast as you want, but keep in mind we are developing for many types of racing. The totality of all the “niches” makes iRacing a much better and sustainable sim for everyone. We also believe action speaks louder than words and we are proud of what we accomplished in 2017.

It would be too long for a forum post to cover everything we are working on nor can I talk about everything for various reasons. However, I can confirm a few of the larger projects in the works that we have already discussed publically and spill the beans on a new project.

New graphical and physical damage model. Making great progress on this massive project and we are really excited about it. There are so many different parts to it but getting to the polish on many parts of it. We expect to move it into the testing environment in the coming months and shooting for a 2018 release but as usual no promises.

Dynamic time of day/moving clouds/day to night. Working night and day on day to night and the goal is to release this year.

New Tire Model Version. Already testing locally and we are excited about it, Dave Kaemmer to write about in the coming weeks. Again, should release this year.

New Interface and User experience inside and out of the sim. The new app is now in beta, and members have access to it. The first giant step is to get the new design and application up and working with our new technology to include all the functionality and more of our existing website. We are almost there in that regard. We still have many plans once that happens so it will be a continued evolution over a long period of time. For example, we have much more we want to do when it comes to user-experience, this new system and app will allow us to do that. For example, we want to create an onboarding process for new members including getting them on track with some basic instruction, guided tours, more on-line help, better organization and much more.

Ok, this will be a “shocker” to some. We are working on AI/Artificial cars and in fact very far down the road with the project. In fact, we should release it this year as well. Hardcore folks take a deep breath. We are not straying even the slightest from our philosophy of trying to create the most accurate and detailed simulation we can along with the best head to head racing competition. This has been an isolated project being done by a small team and has not impacted any other development.

However, having this feature will allow for many opportunities for members and for us to continue to grow. It will allow members to practice in a simulated setting before getting on track with real cars which is a good thing, especially for people new to sim racing. It will also allow for a more relaxed and fun format which will be a welcome addition from time to time for even hard-core members.

Now you don’t need to go to another racing game for AI. Ha Ha. It will bring in many new members who will use it as a stepping stone to head to head racing. It allows us to have a much more competitive demo option for potential new customers in various settings like trade shows or even on-line trials. At the end of the day, it is a huge feature and request in regard to the overall market.

It will be a free addition to members and yet another option for you under your membership. If AI not for you, great, but you will still benefit. The work has helped improve our multiplayer net code and player car code which will be out on members about the time we launch AI. We also feel it will help novice drivers and again boost the overall service.

Right now our plan is roll out options of one-off AI races along with a season-long “career” in which you can build your own schedule/series. We have other plans as well down the road to increase the fun factor in regard AI. We likely will roll out AI for a large chunk of the racing including oval and road. Some cars and types of racing might be held back initially because of all the different variables we need to work out. For example joker laps and going over the jumps for GRC. There are many other things like that which we are working on now. The web development side of this is also significant and still much work to do there before we can roll it out. There will be a “difficulty” choice or “slider” option. More information as we get closer will be available.

Alright, well, this is getting long but much more in the works in terms of features and improvements.
As far as content, working on multiple new tracks including road, oval, dirt and GRC and a complete redo of an oval track. Hopefully we will plug away on more tracks. Literally dozens of cars in the works in some form of production or licensing. Including many new road cars and updates to existing road and oval cars. We already shared working on LMP1 cars, you should have those as soon as the next season build. These cars are a lot of work to build! More to come on content and everything else as we move forward. I hope you liked the Chili Bowl Video.

We are expecting another good year, and we hope you agree when the year is over.
Thanks again!"

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

What part of the 2018 iRacing offering are you looking forward to the most? Excited for AI and day/night transition? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
RRRE is free to play (unlike iRacing), you only buy the cars and tracks or packs that you desire.
I'd say you are not buying the cars and tracks, you are renting them only. If your internet is down or the company ceases to exist, you lose all access to your purchased "rented" content anyway with no way to play offline. This is one of my biggest bugbears with RRE but it is what it is.

I'd say you are not buying the cars and tracks, you are renting them only. If your internet is down or the company ceases to exist, you lose all access to your purchased "rented" content anyway with no way to play offline. This is one of my biggest bugbears with RRE but it is what it is.
I believe the always online is just for their anti piracy system, if the company was going to close they'd probably just drop that part and make it work offline.

I'm curious on how they make the AI works.
I'm sure at the moment every user's PC process just their own physics and stream it to others users. With offline racing the CPU have to calculate the physics for all the AI cars and it's gonna be very heavy. At least on other racing title it is.

iRacing is far too expensive no matter what the subscription includes

I won't be re-subscribing to iRacing while Automobilista and rFactor 2 exist with full offline and online options.. mods...endless amazing tracks and cars...as well as full AI support...and all for a very cheap one-time fee!

Can't wait for this.

I just subscribed to Iracing again after another hiatus and the place is like a ghost town,I tripped over a few tumble weeds looking for people amongst the left over rusting cars.

Every race pretty much required I buy another track or another car and cars I own have been upgraded so I have to buy the improved version to even race online.

What a joke!

At least with ai,I can use ALL those CARS and TRACKS I wasted money on EA stylee.

IRacing is designed for absolute car race nerds who practice hours a day and have the knowledge of how to make a car setup

Not a fun place for dumbos like me,we rot and left to die like all the weak and exploited humans out there.

Strange…
last time I looked there were quite a handful of series where you can have regular races almost every hour or every second hour. Just have a look at IMSA, Le Mans Series, GT3 Series aka Fanatec Challenge (or whatever they call it now), Porsche Cup, Spec Racer Ford, Skip Barber, Formula Renault 2.0 etc. Imo these are the series with the highest participation and they are not ghosttowns (and this is just for the road side of things). Of course if you’re more into the retro cars (GTP, Lotus) you won’t become happy. V8 Supercars are also not popular unless you live in Australia and are able to join the official races.

Don’t want to start the discussions again about their pricing system. It is what it is…what can I say more about it?

Regarding AI I’m completely on your side: looking forward to it!

IRacing is designed for absolute car race nerds who practice hours a day and have the knowledge of how to make a car setup.

this is far away from me as it gets and i am a totally happy customer. i race in three series, two have fixed setup and offer grids of 20+ at least over the weekend (global challenge, indy oval) and the other is open setup and usually offers grids of 100+ every second hour (gt3 sprint), so really, i cannot complain. i do about 20 mins prep for the road series and 5min for the oval. if i see one of those tumbleweeds or rotting away dumbos, i'll send a screenshot :)

I just subscribed to Iracing again after another hiatus and the place is like a ghost town......Every race pretty much required I buy another track or another car and car

I fully agree!
The small amount of races that I could find had few people in them and all but the MX-5's required a lot of purchasing of both cars and tracks.
All you can do is drive around with limited car selection on only the tracks you purchased... alone

There are races there, but unless you know the servers, the times they race and have all of their DLC your options are extremely limited.

I have a big garage of cars and many tracks but I scanned through every server and 80 percent of them require me to buy yet another car or track.

Also,the racing is very limited,I found 3 servers that were green for my license type,two required to buy either a car or track,I actually put them in my cart and it came out to be over 50 in Australian dollars even with the ten percent discount,then a week later the servers change cars and tracks that you don’t have again.

Really frustrating but I guess iracing is for purests.

In Assetto Corsa and the srs app,I can find plenty of races in great cars like gt3 or lotus or open wheelers,there are links where I can download the tracks,I have bought all their dlc because they are great value,Netkar namie,I believe was ahead of all sims when it was released way back in the day so I can not doubt the physics.

No sim can get physics spot on unless we have supercomputers and we don’t have the fear of death driving a sim car anyway and the seat in the pants feel.

I just hope iracing puts on more events to keep people interested because as it stands now,it turns people away.

I gave iracing yet another try after buying a 3 month subscription but after walking inside the doors ,I found Mother Hubbard’s cupboard.

AI will be a massive addition,Papyrus were pretty dam good with ai on their old sims like the magnificent old girl,Grand Prix Legends.

AI gives racers who have no motivation to be the best on a leader board and enjoy just the fun of driving a sim racing car, an opportunity to race with other cars without being yelled at or being called a
loser.

Have a feeling the ai will fill slots in servers for people like me who live in the wrong time zone for iracing activity,Australia.

I think they have to do it that way otherwise multiplayer servers would start emptying.

Wouldn’t mind that,at least I can get in a race with more opponents.

Last edited:
I think they have to do it that way otherwise multiplayer servers would start emptying.

must be the time zone, in Europe there are usually about 3,000 - 4,000 players every night around nine o'clock. in all of 2018 i only ever had one night so far on which i wanted to play and could not find a server in a series i was interested in. i've yet to see another game getting even close to those numbers at european nighttime. just now done a superb race in global challenge, free car, free track, two grids of 23 players, picked up only 1sr when i touched the grass somewhere, otherwise only fun and sensible driving / gameplay in my neck of the woods, cant complain, really.

I found Automobilista to be the most realistic racing/driving simulator
Assetto Corsa has wonky steering, no cautions/safety car and the races always end with a blank screen fade-out

iRacing has other issues as well... Cold tires always mean the best grip
To get started in iRacing you must race against newbies that absolutely love to lower your driver rating
Every server I looked at needed extremely expensive DLC and were always on a track that I did not want to race on anyway

iRacing multiplayer, in concept, is excellent... Pay-for content rids the server from those who do not want to race properly and fairly.
This however means that those looking to get into it are behind massive pay-walls and are hugely disadvantage in terms on understanding the cars and/or tracks... not to mention the hardware

AI/Offline will help a lot.. but since the market is saturated with games that require no subscription & loads of free content (Autombolista, rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa....etc) iRacing will likely not be bought by the masses.

I suggest an base version for a relatively reasonable price for offline (pay for tracks and cars)
And an online subscription for multiplayer
Even have an Online and Offline version (or price) of the cars and tracks

Last edited:
paywall is indeed massive (i payed about 1,200 euros the first two years) but after the initial payment i now spend about 50 euros a year. the hundreds of hours of intensive and fun online gaming were / are well worth it in my view, atm i average about 1 euro for one hour of gameplay and with the paywall further and further behind me, this will come down further. not that expensive. only drawback: it has basically killed all interest in AI racing games in me, just wiped it out almost completely, the only bit i still do is rallying, but my rre content, my ac, my rf2 have all not been used for ages, i even removed thelast two from my harddrive.

I have a big garage of cars and many tracks but I scanned through every server and 80 percent of them require me to buy yet another car or track.

You clearly dont have a big garage or alot of tracks if 80% of the servers require you to buy content.
My advice....do your home work before jumping into iracing....its very different from other titles.

I own and play all the titles and after returning to iracing a few months back it was very clear to me that mp was populated much more than other titles here in the evening....raceroom, rf2 and AMS were lucky to have 5 players online after 8pm mt.

I read your thread on the iracing form and the cars you complained about having to pay for updates are not even the same car or in the same class as the original. Ex Ford GT is not the same as the Ford GT GTE.

Regarding your awfull notchy ffb on a g27....the g27 is the reason as its one of the weakest/low range wheels on the market.
It may work fine in the other titles you mentioned but even those titles would greatly benefit from an upgrade to atleast a mid range belt driven wheel.
Every title your gear needs to be tuned, use wheel check...google and go from there, ffb is subjective as everyone uses different types of feedback.

Sim racing is a small niche market (add up the total titles daily use on steamcharts and there is roughly 10k users on avg) to start so there will always be a down town at some point.

Not a fun place for dumbos like me,we rot and left to die like all the weak and exploited humans out there.

At least you understand your capabilities and limitations :)

Last edited:
Doesn't iRacing put a schedule so you buy the stuff you need? Cant see how that would make people miss the content.
Only reason I dont play iRacing is because their business model makes no sense to me. It should be a full service model where you pay the year sub and has access to all content (with exception of the ones you dont have a license to drive) rather than pay sub + pay to unlock content. That would get more people to join it, IMO.

Doesn't iRacing put a schedule so you buy the stuff you need? Cant see how that would make people miss the content.

it does, and the schedules are usually provided by the community who played in the series last season, furthermore one only needs to do 8 of the twelve weeks in a season to score the full points and get a 4 dollar or 7 dollar credit for participation. new schedule will be out next week since we are currently in the second to last week of the current season, so "smasha" has a fair chance of buying the tracks he needs in advance. it's part of the fun in the first year to try and economize on tracks and/or cars, e.g. buy the dallara indy car since it runs in a road and in an oval series, so double value :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back