iRacing to Introduce Single Player AI in 2018...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing AI Confirmed.jpg

iRacing confirm an AI mode in the works for 2018, amongst plenty of other interesting future developments...

iRacing.com, by way of the official members forum, have confirmed plans are afoot to develop single player AI for the simulation, a dramatic shift in direction from what has traditionally been a strictly online only racing title.

Revealed as part of a wider New Year posting by the iRacing staff, the dramatic news of a more traditional AI option within the sim is indeed a very attractive proposition, finally adding that extra dimension to a title that although focussing on online 'head to head' racing still sorely missed the opportunity to take on the cars and tracks in a less formal and more relaxed environment.

Additional highlights from the New Year post include confirmation that the long awaited LMP1 prototype cars should arrive in time for the next season build, and day to night transition should be here as well before 2018 comes to a close.

Exciting times eh? Check out the full post below:

"First of all, Happy New Year to all of our members. We also want to sincerely thank you for your membership. We know that some members are always curious what is next in regard to development. We do try and share what we can when appropriate. Various factors may dictate when we start discussing development on xyz feature, upgrade or xyz content.

We also might not exactly work on what you want as fast as you want, but keep in mind we are developing for many types of racing. The totality of all the “niches” makes iRacing a much better and sustainable sim for everyone. We also believe action speaks louder than words and we are proud of what we accomplished in 2017.

It would be too long for a forum post to cover everything we are working on nor can I talk about everything for various reasons. However, I can confirm a few of the larger projects in the works that we have already discussed publically and spill the beans on a new project.

New graphical and physical damage model. Making great progress on this massive project and we are really excited about it. There are so many different parts to it but getting to the polish on many parts of it. We expect to move it into the testing environment in the coming months and shooting for a 2018 release but as usual no promises.

Dynamic time of day/moving clouds/day to night. Working night and day on day to night and the goal is to release this year.

New Tire Model Version. Already testing locally and we are excited about it, Dave Kaemmer to write about in the coming weeks. Again, should release this year.

New Interface and User experience inside and out of the sim. The new app is now in beta, and members have access to it. The first giant step is to get the new design and application up and working with our new technology to include all the functionality and more of our existing website. We are almost there in that regard. We still have many plans once that happens so it will be a continued evolution over a long period of time. For example, we have much more we want to do when it comes to user-experience, this new system and app will allow us to do that. For example, we want to create an onboarding process for new members including getting them on track with some basic instruction, guided tours, more on-line help, better organization and much more.

Ok, this will be a “shocker” to some. We are working on AI/Artificial cars and in fact very far down the road with the project. In fact, we should release it this year as well. Hardcore folks take a deep breath. We are not straying even the slightest from our philosophy of trying to create the most accurate and detailed simulation we can along with the best head to head racing competition. This has been an isolated project being done by a small team and has not impacted any other development.

However, having this feature will allow for many opportunities for members and for us to continue to grow. It will allow members to practice in a simulated setting before getting on track with real cars which is a good thing, especially for people new to sim racing. It will also allow for a more relaxed and fun format which will be a welcome addition from time to time for even hard-core members.

Now you don’t need to go to another racing game for AI. Ha Ha. It will bring in many new members who will use it as a stepping stone to head to head racing. It allows us to have a much more competitive demo option for potential new customers in various settings like trade shows or even on-line trials. At the end of the day, it is a huge feature and request in regard to the overall market.

It will be a free addition to members and yet another option for you under your membership. If AI not for you, great, but you will still benefit. The work has helped improve our multiplayer net code and player car code which will be out on members about the time we launch AI. We also feel it will help novice drivers and again boost the overall service.

Right now our plan is roll out options of one-off AI races along with a season-long “career” in which you can build your own schedule/series. We have other plans as well down the road to increase the fun factor in regard AI. We likely will roll out AI for a large chunk of the racing including oval and road. Some cars and types of racing might be held back initially because of all the different variables we need to work out. For example joker laps and going over the jumps for GRC. There are many other things like that which we are working on now. The web development side of this is also significant and still much work to do there before we can roll it out. There will be a “difficulty” choice or “slider” option. More information as we get closer will be available.

Alright, well, this is getting long but much more in the works in terms of features and improvements.
As far as content, working on multiple new tracks including road, oval, dirt and GRC and a complete redo of an oval track. Hopefully we will plug away on more tracks. Literally dozens of cars in the works in some form of production or licensing. Including many new road cars and updates to existing road and oval cars. We already shared working on LMP1 cars, you should have those as soon as the next season build. These cars are a lot of work to build! More to come on content and everything else as we move forward. I hope you liked the Chili Bowl Video.

We are expecting another good year, and we hope you agree when the year is over.
Thanks again!"

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

What part of the 2018 iRacing offering are you looking forward to the most? Excited for AI and day/night transition? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I literally have hundreds of dollars worth of cars and tracks I purchased for that sim , just sitting there with a lapsed membership. I basically only race Ai because of my work schedule , life and whatever else , that has prevented me from even joining a league. I have every car and track ( road course ) all the way up to 6 months ago. It's one thing that just burns inside of me , and I get pissed at myself for even buying into it.

BUT......if they do get Ai going , it may at least give me a chance to use the dang thing! I'm not re-upping my membership until they do.

I think if they did two different subscription choices, one for AI and another for online, then that might bring me back. So in theory; one subscription and you would be able to play AI with all your current content and then pay more to add the online option.

The reason iRacing didn't work for me was the time versus cost factor. I didn't have enough time to have a subscription and utilize it to it's full potential. Trying to catch a race in the series I wanted to run would hardly ever match up with my time schedule. So in that perspective I felt like I was wasting my money when only able to do hot lapping most of the time.

Having the AI may change things and I'll try again for a month to see how it goes. But I think dividing the subscriptions would be a win win for everyone.

Last edited:
Funny people:
RaceRoom: Exactly the same price/business model (at least we don't need to pay for liveries in iRacing :rolleyes:), but the fanboys hurry to convince the community it's not expensive, that you can buy just want you want, and blah, blah, blah.

Well, with iRacing you can buy just what you want as well, whats the difference?

The difference is: for people around, no matter what, iRacing sucks, period.

@AndyJackson, feel free to disagree again, as you usual do.

Funny people:
RaceRoom: Exactly the same price/business model (at least we don't need to pay for liveries in iRacing :rolleyes:), but the fanboys hurry to convince the community it's not expensive, that you can buy just want you want, and blah, blah, blah.

Well, with iRacing you can buy just what you want as well, whats the difference?

The difference is: for people around, no matter what, iRacing sucks, period.

@AndyJackson, feel free to disagree again, as you usual do.
The biggest difference is access to the content I paid for. I don't have to pay a subscription to access content I already purchased in RaceRoom. Also cars and tracks are a lot cheaper in R3E. So your argument is not working, try again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Simple question... right now:

In how many races can you participate in RR? There are barely 400 people online (most of them using the "free content")...so

And rFactor2? 500 online?

And I mean a race with more than 1 driver :roflmao:

i buy Lotus 49 & 79 (love old F1) zero race...kia same...jetta zero players...Nissan GTP nice cars it's desert or almost...porsche cup sof 2.5K sof its destruction derby...4k players for 3 or 4 popular series...in league with rf2 or assetto I race with 30 other drivers and every week different series!(dtm,open wheel, gt, old cars) and free...
i'm not hater i'm disappointed to have spent more than 600$ (not buy just for a rental) for nothing..
I noticed that someone who criticizes a can be iracing is a "hater" strange...

I mostly race against AI or do hotlaps, so AI would be a welcome addition for me, but... as long as there is a monthly subscription fee on top of having to pay for content, I will stay away from iRacing. If they make the monthly fee only for Online, then it might become interesting for me. I don't want to spend so much money on one sim, but want to play multiple sims (I own almost all of them, except iRacing).

Here in the US, you pay about $50 for two 8-minute time-attack go-kart races. You don’t even get gridded. Whenever I think about that, I gladly pay iRacing my $99 every thanksgiving.

It’s all about value. For me, the plug-and-play of iRacing is unbeatable. I don’t have to look for mods, I don’t have to sign up for league forums, I don’t even have to plan to race.

I’ll gladly cancel iRacing the day Kunos delivers the same services, since I absolutely love how AC drives and looks. But ‘till then...

well, leseb 64, with your car choice i must agree, it's really difficult to catch a race with a decent crowd, so i can totally see your point. I pick the cars not by what interests me but by what will give me good online racing, which for me is far more satisfying than racing ai or hotlapping. just a thing in my mind. so i raced the skip barber for 12 or more seasons, never disappointed by numbers, raced the indycar fixed, always a good crowd there, raced the blancpain sprint, back in the day the proto gt in the fordgt. i've been on the service for six years now and 95% of the races i joined (about two every week) were fun and almost as intense as league racing, which i did for several years before iRacing in race07, rF etc. . i have very little time to practice, so in leagues i would always come in last against all the chaps practicing the track for a whole week. in iRacing i will forever stay on the lower grids, but the sr system makes sure the racing is decent and fun as i said 95% of the times. it's pretty much as in any other social activity: follow the golden rule and you're fine. i cannot agree with the porsche cup being destruction derby, just some minutes back i finished my weekly event, lowest grid and i didn't see a single instance of "mad" racing, at least in the parts of the race close to me. There is an asshole about every sixth race or so, but as in real life, one learns to avoid them :)

back on topic: looking foward to their ai, but i will probably not have the time to race them. if i fancy ai, i pick rre because i can play different content there, like slowakiaring or macau or the tt-cup. as far as i'm concerned, the ai will not change anything for me. i hope, though, they will offer mixed ai - real player servers in the series with little partcicipation, like the old f1 cars, for players who fancy these.

It's actually not a bad idea when you consider how many trade shows/public appearances they do. As afan it's pretty lame standing in line for 10 minutes for a shot at a big simulator setup, only to discover it's you by yourself running full throttle around Daytona/Indy/Michigan. This fixes that.

I think though if you're gonna spend $300 - $400 on content to race primarily offline, you're kind of retarded. There's a reason an active community still surrounds NASCAR Racing 2003 Season even today - nothing is inherently wrong about the offline experience.

Consolation for some people but not for me. i spent over £400 on iracing and no longer have a membership so can no longer play some have spend over £1000 and cant play...That doesn't work for me, I'll end up spending on new content but cant use it if I no longer afford membership.

They need to charge for online racing and let people use what they paid for offline, and they will maintain a larger user base....this AI business is just to keep some sweet.

Let us own want we pay for and use it whenever we want offline and pay to race online ...

Best online system but with AI they need to stop this i-renting / i-leasing and let everyone stay onboard.
IMO iRacing should go full subscription mode: pay the month/year fee and have access to everything.

So I'll try and ask again here. Since I have already bought 85% of the content , but let my subscription lapse ( because I don't race online )....will I be able to take advantage of all the cars and tracks I have already purchased , and race the Ai ?

So what's this mean for someone like me? I let my subscription lapse , but have bought probably 85% of their content , which I can't use at the moment. When the Ai gets released , do I have to pay more?

I believe it means renewing your subscription. Yes, if you renew your subscription you will be able to download and gain access to the current build and regain all your previously owned content.
Once you purchase iRacing content you own it for life, however you must have a valid, or current subscription, to play. My understanding is the AI is only free for members. To be a member you need a valid subscription. :)

Tried iRacing, but was probably too young (think I was 16) to enjoy it to the full. The most annoying thing for me was that in a Season I could only race maybe 1-2 weeks because I only owned selected content, the rest were $15 each. Given a Season is 12 weeks that's $150 plus - a lot of money for an unemployed 16 year old. I know the content is good but even giving the option to buy all circuits in a season (a la R3E) for a discounted price would be beneficial. Plus I also didn't like that you were forced to race a certain track and had to wait around until your favorite car/ track combo came around. There is only so many laps you can do around Oulton Park in a Skip Barber before wishing you had someone to race against. Meanwhile, in R3E and AMS, I can race against quality AI or online whenever I want, on whatever car/ track combo I'd like (not on online obviously) for a much lower price.
Perhaps the AI will draw me back in, but if its below/ on par with current sims I'll definitely be staying well clear. It'll have to be well above anything else to justify the high price.

Is there any hope that they would let us program a computed driver?

We already have all the track data and telemetry ready for our programs already (in AC anyway, iRacing, too?). What we would need is an interface more convenient than emulating a HID device.

I believe it means renewing your subscription. Yes, if you renew your subscription you will be able to download and gain access to the current build and regain all your previously owned content.
Once you purchase iRacing content you own it for life, however you must have a valid, or current subscription, to play. My understanding is the AI is only free for members. To be a member you need a valid subscription. :)

I see , and thank you Matt! I wasn't completely understanding how it was going to work. I was in the position of thinking "If I have to pay even more money then I've already spent , to race Ai , it just aint worth it ".....But if all I have to do is renew my subscription , then I could deal with that. I'll be signing back up as soon as that Ai is released.

leseb64 suggesting there's almost nothing to race in Iracing. Before you believe the bullshit look at the facts (image below): and show me any other racing game in history that has higher online participation in any car below.

Attachments

• iRacing participation.png
    iRacing participation.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 293
  • iRacing Oval.png
    iRacing Oval.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
IRacing is good, every development improves it. There is a lot they need to do, like the disconnects from le mans race and a few other bits and bobs. However it's getting there albeit at a snails pace.

Its nice to see a bit of a road map from the devs, sometimes I feel they keep everything so secret which is a shame. I like to know what's coming, what expect etc.

Good times!

leseb64 suggesting there's almost nothing to race in Iracing. Before you believe the bullshit look at the facts (image below): and show me any other racing game in history that has higher online participation in any car below.
you are the perfect example of the fanboy who does not accept any criticism on iracing ... your table proves nothing quite the contrary example "blancpain serie ultra popular 4700 participation lol: it's 2 split of 32 racer evening Europe time". ..your number shows nothing ... look i can show it to me friday january 12th 8pm 1169 racer in the world lol
8c5007f59d1d3b4cd3bfe1f10066e142ec5135f0.jpg
[/url][/IMG] (not relevant either)
read before putting a little red cross as usual ...:whistling:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back