iRacing - Hosted Events

Hey all,
I'd like to find out how many people here would be interested in joining regularly scheduled hosted events. Events would most likely take place on Sunday Mornings @ 9am EST. I would use a mixture of default tracks and some of the more popular tracks that would need to be purchased (if the participant doesn't already have them). I would also like to know what car(s) folks would like to run. My idea is to set up a friendly environment were all skill levels are welcome with casual racing where driving tips, set-ups, and general knowledge about iRacing can be shared. Maybe even some coaching.:) The practice sessions would be 30 minutes with a short quali and then a 20 minute race. The initial intent is to have a place for RD members to gather and race in a more relaxed setting where SR and iR are not impacted. I don't know about you all but hot lapping and practicing alone is no fun. Please make any suggestions in your comments.

These events would be on the Road racing side. However, if Oval racing is your thing please speak up because I also run Ovals and if the demand is there I would be open to setting something up.

I haven't bought anything as of yet. I'll time trial my way out of rookie I suppose then. I didn't know that could be done.
It may take a few tt's to get there but it's worth keeping the risk level down. If you were to get caught up in a wreck it would set you back. Just jump in a tt session and run the required # of laps without any incidents and you will get there quick. You gotta get out of rookie as fast as possible. iRacing changes a lot once you're out of rookie license class.

The only bad part now is that you will notice that a lot of the races in the next license clas are probably at tracks you don't own. Now it starts to get a little more costly.

Just like in R3E, I only need to buy one car in each class right?
Correct. I would recommend you examine closely what official series you really want to race in and try to avoid paying for content that you ultimately can not use. Also, Once you get you license to a level where you feel comfortable...you can go back to competing in at least one race per week in any of the series you are eligible in. The purpose: earning iRacing credits. These credits will take the edge off of buying new tracks.

Thanks for the advice SnappyDEe. Its much appreciated. If I have more basic questions, I'll shoot you a PM. Count me in though for a few tracks and a car or two. I'll buy whatever the consensus goes with as I'd much rather race with RD folks than strangers.

All right guys...the poll is almost over. The next thing to take into account is the question of what tracks we want to run at. I'd like to use mostly free tracks with some paid tracks mixed in. The purpose of that would be to keep participation at a decent level. Here is a list:

Included Tracks:
Daytona 2007
Lime Rock
Laguna Seca
Okayama International
Summit Point

Paid Tracks:
Mid-Ohio
Road America
Mosport
Watkins Glen
Sebring
Suzuka
Phillip Island
Bathurst
Donnington
Spa

Anyway, you get the idea. We don't have to run all of them but I'd like to hear what people have paid for and try to get the more popular tracks run. That's all.

Of the paid tracks you listed, I can recommend all of them based on personal experience.

From what I have seen and experienced, here is a list of the 6 most popular paid tracks. (you get a 20% discount when you purchase 6 or more items). Nurburgring may replace one of these now that it is released.
Watkins Glen
Mount Panorama Circuit (Bathurst)
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (Spa)
Road America
Road Atlanta
Sebring International Raceway

Other tracks I highly recommend:
Nurburgring (get both so you can run the combined version)
Brands Hatch
Suzuka International Racing Course
Daytona (the re-scanned version)
Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace (Interlagos)
Autodromo Natianale Monza (Monza)
Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport)

Other good tracks I can recommend:
Phillip Island
Twin Ring Motegi
Donnington

Some tracks I like which aren't used much in official series:
Virginia International Raceway (VIR)
Oulton Park Circuit
Circuit Park Zandvoort
Barber Motorsports Park

Some popular tracks which I don't really like:
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (Montreal)
Mid Ohio
Silverstone
Circuit of the Americas (COTA)

If you are thinking about getting into oval racing, here are some popular tracks which I highly recommend:
Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Pocono (my personal favorite in the IndyCar)
Texas Motor Speedway
Michigan International Speedway
Iowa Speedway
Richmond International Raceway

Other ovals which I recommend:
Kentucky Speedway
Las Vegas Motor Speedway
Talladega Superspeedway
Atlanta Motor Speedway
Auto Club Speedway
Dover International Speedway

note: I have every car and track on iRacing, so if you have any questions, let me know.

That's an awesome and complete list for sure! I know nothing of ovals but you hit all the good road tracks. Of what's included, Summit for sure and Lime Rock is also fun - Summit is a little trickier to get right yet both are quick to learn, but take a good time to master.

Bathurst is also a favorite but can be daunting for newer drivers - especially since starting from pit lane can be a chore (the Nordschleife has respawn points throughout). I'm again down for any track, but agree with Troy especially with COTA. That track just seems to be a chore from the start.

Well guys, it looks like the GT3 class has taken the vote. It looks like quite a few people want MC racing as well. I am thinking that we should run the GT3 cars initially and then if participation builds we can add one of the prototypes later to grow the series. This is a good opportunity for amateur/inexperienced GT3 drivers (like myself) to get involved in some racing regardless of their official license class. As you may be aware,the Blancpain Sprint Series is a B license series but if you haven't attained that license level yet you may have a GT3 car sitting in your garage. Now you will be able to brake it out and get involved in some racing!

I hope that faster/more experienced drivers will join in and help the rest get faster and learn some race craft. I will be along soon with further news. I will set up a session on Sunday December 27th at 9:00am EST. We will be racing at Okayama International (challenging but familiar as it is part of the base content) Thanks for voting guys and see you on the track soon! Would folks like me to set up practice sessions?

I will most likely start up a new thread for the start of the weekly series so stay tuned. I will post the link for the new thread in the OP.

Here are the tracks I propose for the future:
Okayama International (base content)
Daytona 2007 (base content)
Lime Rock (base content)

Watkins Glen (paid content) - this track is widely used in many series throughout iRacing so it will be a good value.
Brands Hatch GP - (paid content) - also widely used
Donnington National - (paid content) -

Race Thread here:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...races-sundays-9-00am-est.115129/#post-2151540

The Okayama race is scheduled and I've changed the format a little bit. Session is now 2 hours. 1 hour practice, 20 minute qualifying and a 40 minute race. Actual race will start at 10:20 am EST.

@James Nance - I didn't realize that. I just can't do races in the middle of the day due to family stuff. 2 young boys require lots of attention. It's fun though cause I get to play with their hot wheels. lol

Race Thread here:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...races-sundays-9-00am-est.115129/#post-2151540

The Okayama race is scheduled and I've changed the format a little bit. Session is now 2 hours. 1 hour practice, 20 minute qualifying and a 40 minute race. Actual race will start at 10:20 am EST.

@James Nance - I didn't realize that. I just can't do races in the middle of the day due to family stuff. 2 young boys require lots of attention. It's fun though cause I get to play with their hot wheels. lol
Its okay, I too still have my hot wheels and model cars, I take a gander at them time to time in there packages and think of days when I made racing sounds to them.

Well guys, it looks like the GT3 class has taken the vote. It looks like quite a few people want MC racing as well. I am thinking that we should run the GT3 cars initially and then if participation builds we can add one of the prototypes later to grow the series. This is a good opportunity for amateur/inexperienced GT3 drivers (like myself) to get involved in some racing regardless of their official license class. As you may be aware,the Blancpain Sprint Series is a B license series but if you haven't attained that license level yet you may have a GT3 car sitting in your garage. Now you will be able to brake it out and get involved in some racing!

I hope that faster/more experienced drivers will join in and help the rest get faster and learn some race craft. I will be along soon with further news. I will set up a session on Sunday December 27th at 9:00am EST. We will be racing at Okayama International (challenging but familiar as it is part of the base content) Thanks for voting guys and see you on the track soon! Would folks like me to set up practice sessions?

I will most likely start up a new thread for the start of the weekly series so stay tuned. I will post the link for the new thread in the OP.

Here are the tracks I propose for the future:
Okayama International (base content)
Daytona 2007 (base content)
Lime Rock (base content)

Watkins Glen (paid content) - this track is widely used in many series throughout iRacing so it will be a good value.
Brands Hatch GP - (paid content) - also widely used
Donnington National - (paid content) -

Cool! I'll look for the event on Sunday.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back