iRacing: AI Development Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing AI Update.jpg

Following a community enquiry about the status of AI development in iRacing, RaceDepartment reached out for a comment from those in the know...

Behind the scenes, the new AI code has been in development for the online racing simulation for a couple of years now, in fact I managed to get some seat time with the WIP version of the AI build back at the 2018 Sim Racing Expo, but a little bit of confusion about the current development direction appears to have taken seed within the community in recent days.

Earlier this week I noticed one of our community members mention a curious comment from the iRacing customer services, who noted that AI development within the sim isn't something on the immediate priority plan list. Curious, the community member in question posted a comment asking if anyone knows more about this potential change in development direction by the title.

Having thought about it myself, I noticed we hadn't actually had much in the way of news about the AI for quite a while, which led me to reach out to our friends at iRacing for an update directly from the people behind the sim itself.

Fear not, AI is still very much on the cards for a release "sooner rather than later". What's more, a career mode is also in the works!

"Yes, I can confirm we are definitely on with development of AI for iRacing. In fact we have been for a couple of years" said Executive Director of iRacing, Tony Gardner.​

"We hope to release it sooner rather than later. Although even after we release it, just like everything we will continue to improve it, both the AI itself and the career mode/features around it.

It really just looks look any other iRacing race, if we are doing it correctly that is how it should look. In fact we have put out plenty of videos already using AI, we just didn’t make much of a point that it was AI. For example showing off a new piece of content, like a car or track...."

So there you go folks, iRacing will indeed be getting an AI update in the near future... plus a nice and unexpected bonus in the form of some kind of career mode.. rumours be gone!

For more news about iRacing, head over to the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with the community today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

AI and no sub for single player content would definitely open this up to more people

I like their tracks , and wouldn't mind driving on them in some of the more unique cars , or for things like Nascar, so experience could be great

Will be interesting to see where this goes

I will be definitely be buying IRacing if and when AI is implemented. I simply don't have the time I used to.
You don't buy iRacing - only subscribe for a period. By itself not very expensive if you use promotion codes and you get some "free" content to play:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/266410/discussions/0/1697167355222542492/

.Except Mazda and some trucks there's not much online racing, but you can always practice with it. When you want participate with series, then it gets costly.

The reason I joined iRacing was to race against real people. ( BTW I think their physics are actually quite good, and I understand that once I get my SC2 Pro going the FFB will be pretty amazing too.)

I understand how some see the value of AI's to practice against on a track before racing in an official race with real people, but even then I'm not sure I understand it's value. iRacing has practice races with other people that don't count. Unless this is just because people get embarrassed and don't want to do badly in front of other people. I guess I really just don't get the point at all. I learn a track in test mode and when I feel like I have the hang of it, I either jump into a race or a practice with other players.

I enjoyed time trials in Dirt Rally. For something like that the AI's are just there to give you a metric for your overall time. However for Rally Cross and Track racing, why would you want AI's ?

The AI laughing is a special iRacing feature to make it more like multiplayer. It also comes with cursing, auto kick and bodily harm threats. :)
It will only be authentic if the AI makes surly remarks on voice chat. Last time I played iRacing there was some kid on there constantly threatening to spin people. That's what I need from the AI for a realistic iRacing experience.

What would be interesting if you could use the AI opposed to 'real' drivers when building your status. One of the biggest gripes I think is while trying to get your license to advance it only takes an over anxious driver to get into you and ruin it.

IRacing......... I like near everything about it ...everything always works great...looks great......but the racing really is bad. For years i hear guys say well you have to get to the higher classes.....well I raced last week in the D class at Monza in the F3.5 I think ?? lol And I get guys will screw it all up in T-1 there but I got wrecked by drivers who lost it in the lesmos and just come flying back on track and take you out. And my rating goes down the popper?? So really nothing has changed unless your good enough to run the top splits or Pro which I'm surely not. So yeh bring on the AI...it will be safer.....:whistling:

For me with Iracing with AI is a wait and see how they implement this feature. It sounds interesting. But, I have all the top popular Racing games with similar tracks to do my AI racing. Plus new games like AMS2 or updates to my current games are coming all the time.

For me to subscribe to a monthly fee plus pay for all content for Nascar or Indycar racing series I like with AI seems kind of Absurd price investment for me. I dont have the time or desire to jump into the Multiplayer environment of Iracing at this time. That is why I have the other racing games which most I bought at sale prices.

I will keep an eye out for reviews of this feature when it is released. Thanks Paul for the information.

I understand how some see the value of AI's to practice against on a track before racing in an official race with real people, but even then I'm not sure I understand it's value. iRacing has practice races with other people that don't count. Unless this is just because people get embarrassed and don't want to do badly in front of other people. I guess I really just don't get the point at all. I learn a track in test mode and when I feel like I have the hang of it, I either jump into a race or a practice with other players.

I enjoyed time trials in Dirt Rally. For something like that the AI's are just there to give you a metric for your overall time. However for Rally Cross and Track racing, why would you want AI's ?

When AI is released, If I get the urge to run a 250 lap race at Bristol I can just fire up iRacing, pick the series I want to run & within a few minutes I should be on the track beating & banging with a full field of competent AI cars. Without AI, I'm stuck having to setup an online race (which isn't free to do in iRacing). Then I will have 30 hot lappers join just to try & get their name on top of the practice board. Then when it comes time to race 90% of the drivers exit the server & I'm stuck with just a handful of drivers to compete against. Usually within 20 laps half of those drivers have crashed out & rage quit so the race completely falls apart.

Last edited:
So when AI is available, from then on you pay 15 dollor per track and 12 euro per car just to race offline? Only against the same car you bought. It's not the pinacle of simracing physics, but the best online competition system you buy in to.
Give me an example of solid realistic AI NASCAR racing with proper physics that is not NR2003. I'm waiting. For most road racers, AI does not matter, but for Indycar/NASCAR/Dirt Junkies, this could be HUGE

Yep. iRacing is easy to run, is always up to date. And I know more people who are a member for this reason.
Most sims you have to do a lot tweaking, I don't have the time to do this.
I also own all the road content. :)

Wow, you chose a very expensive option for just hotlapping but good for you if you're happy with it. :thumbsup:
I'm not into online racing either but might consider it once AI is out.

I might subscribe now! Multiplayer isn't my kind of thing.

I was an iracing subscriber back at the very beginning,i was one of the first 500 to beta test it after getting an invite over on racesimcentral back in the day.
As early as back then i was asking for AI, i was subbed for a few years after that but it got waaay too expensive, but during this period i got invloved in a few AI discussions on the members forum and got slated for even wanting AI in iracing, it was like an elitist attitude of we dont need AI in our sim..
Id love to hear from the same elitists now :)

I love to see AI coming to iRacing. I have an iRacing subscribtion but don't do online racing because I don't have enough time to practice.
With the new tire model iRacing become very good. So, I look forward to this.

I just don't understand the "I don't have time to practice[sic]" mentality. If you never practise, then you won't be as good, so your iRating will drop, and you will race against others who aren't very good (like me, even with practise). You will still have great racing and you will be improving the service for everyone (more people = more splits = more fun.)

So many people protect their precious iRating by avoiding races.... (I'm not accusing you of this...but it is a thing.)

But...the gaps between cars after a few laps are much greater in the lower splits, which can mean lonely laps, which sucks. So perhaps I can understand it - I just don't approve! :)

Having taken an iRacing break for a month or so, I am really enjoying the AI experience in rFactor and RRE (I can win!), I doubt iRacing AI will be the same quality, but I will be able to combine racing AI with practising for "real" races.
I just hope AI is not so good people forget the online aspects.

The iRacing forums alone will be worth the price of entry for the first month.:devilish:

I was an iracing subscriber back at the very beginning,i was one of the first 500 to beta test it after getting an invite over on racesimcentral back in the day.
As early as back then i was asking for AI, i was subbed for a few years after that but it got waaay too expensive, but during this period i got invloved in a few AI discussions on the members forum and got slated for even wanting AI in iracing, it was like an elitist attitude of we dont need AI in our sim..
Id love to hear from the same elitists now :)

This elitist view can still be found in every AI thread in the iRacing forums

Spending 1000 bucks to get the same thing you could have for 50 isn't my kind of thing. I honestly don't get this move, as the only selling point of iRacing is the multiplayer. No one plays iRacing for the physics, graphics or content.

I would have said that (not playing it for the physics) but I must say that since the new tire model is out on some cars I find myself enjoying iracing the most (compared to rfactor 2 and ACC). As the graphics are fine and the sounds are ok-ish, this is my favourite sim right now. I hope the other cars will soon be upgraded to the new tire model. And once AI is there it will be even far better and I'll prefer it even more...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back