iRacing: AI Development Update

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing AI Update.jpg

Following a community enquiry about the status of AI development in iRacing, RaceDepartment reached out for a comment from those in the know...

Behind the scenes, the new AI code has been in development for the online racing simulation for a couple of years now, in fact I managed to get some seat time with the WIP version of the AI build back at the 2018 Sim Racing Expo, but a little bit of confusion about the current development direction appears to have taken seed within the community in recent days.

Earlier this week I noticed one of our community members mention a curious comment from the iRacing customer services, who noted that AI development within the sim isn't something on the immediate priority plan list. Curious, the community member in question posted a comment asking if anyone knows more about this potential change in development direction by the title.

Having thought about it myself, I noticed we hadn't actually had much in the way of news about the AI for quite a while, which led me to reach out to our friends at iRacing for an update directly from the people behind the sim itself.

Fear not, AI is still very much on the cards for a release "sooner rather than later". What's more, a career mode is also in the works!

"Yes, I can confirm we are definitely on with development of AI for iRacing. In fact we have been for a couple of years" said Executive Director of iRacing, Tony Gardner.​

"We hope to release it sooner rather than later. Although even after we release it, just like everything we will continue to improve it, both the AI itself and the career mode/features around it.

It really just looks look any other iRacing race, if we are doing it correctly that is how it should look. In fact we have put out plenty of videos already using AI, we just didn’t make much of a point that it was AI. For example showing off a new piece of content, like a car or track...."

So there you go folks, iRacing will indeed be getting an AI update in the near future... plus a nice and unexpected bonus in the form of some kind of career mode.. rumours be gone!

For more news about iRacing, head over to the iRacing sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with the community today!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

• Deleted member 205301

...oh ! wait !!! they already have money (all my money^^) since 2011 ;)
...i'm curious about IA, but not really impatient...that's not why i'm on iracing ;)
@++

I'm definitely looking forward to AI in iRacing. I was a member from the beginning but stopped renewing my subscription two years ago. With my schedule it's difficult for me to find the time to practice & try to find a race. I've resorted to AC, ACC, AMS & RF2 to fill my sim-racing needs the past two years. The problem is my favorite form of racing is oval racing & there are no modern single player oval sims out there that are worth a darn. With the new AI feature in iRacing I can finally get back to oval racing!

Wait so they have been charging people out the ass for this game and they didn't even have ai? how pathetic.
One pays for the well-structured online experience, not for the game. All the content is actually only rented. It's like paying your gym and using their equipment. Don't see anything pathetic about it, just a different business modell that gives you a guarantee for good online competition at almost every hour in many different categories. Never felt I paid for anything else.

Last edited:
Yep like others I'm looking forward to the AI, i just hope it comes out the box (so to speak) at a decent level and not weak/poor with the hope of future updates to fix glaringly obvious issues thereafter, hence why I'll only resub for a month when it's released just to be safe!

Last edited:
Career mode? Really? Current model is the best career mode i can imagine and it works online with real people like it should be.
I am interested if i need to buy series they suggested me (maybe be part of 100%club?) or if i will have a free choice in that "career" mode.

Biggest selling point for AI for me personally is ability to race any car any time. It is painful to have some interesting cars with once in two hour starts and just fraction of those going official.

There is no way AI will replace racing against other people, but its nice addition to options to have.

View attachment 324864
Following a community enquiry about the status of AI development in iRacing, RaceDepartment reached out for a comment from those in the know...

Paul, just informing you that you may recall it was i that had originally contacted iRacing support for the details on the A.I. situation, and also explaining that i'd deleted the original email from customer support stating that the A.I. wasn't being implemented.

As stated, i contacted iRacing again the other day and it wasn't until yesterday that i received a response from support...here are the screenshots from my mobile (the one i sent and one i received).

Anyway, it's good to now have confirmation from both sides that the A.I. will be implemented in the near future!
Thanks Paul for your help sir ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190917-103857.jpg
    Screenshot_20190917-103857.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_20190917-104030.jpg
    Screenshot_20190917-104030.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 143
Damn, after seeing this on the front page, I was hoping we would get more of an informative update. Turns out it just an acknowledgement to suggest it is still in the works and 'close'.

I have read up on the AI multiple times and it looks like it could be the best in the business thus far. Apparently it will have pit and fuel logic, so we could see some strategy. I hope they will expand these aspects and discuss them in finer detail nearer to release.

Can't wait to simulate WEC at lemans.

If they are smart, they'll have a seperate offering for SP only. I'd gladly pay some sort of package price for all or most of the content that i then won't be able to use online. But a subscription model and paying individual content pieces to complete a collection needed for whatever part of the career mode is an absolute no-go for me.

They could even motivate people by having them unlock individual cars for MP if you succeed in a career series on a very hard AI difficulty.

HAHAHAHA... Over a year ago they said AI would be released in"months rather than years".In Iracing parlance(and in plain english) "sooner rather than later" means absolutely nothing.I love Iracing but the lack of progress in AI is beginning to piss me off.They could release it as a beta and many of us would be happy to see it.

What would be interesting if you could use the AI opposed to 'real' drivers when building your status. One of the biggest gripes I think is while trying to get your license to advance it only takes an over anxious driver to get into you and ruin it.
Heh...I have heard numerous times from iRacing fans that your rating reflects your own abilities. I have never really believed that. While I have been known to suffer a mishap or two on the race course I often find, in iRacing, that many of my penalty points are from other drivers who do are either ignorant of the rules of racing or do not know them.
In a Spec Ford race on Saturday, on the second lap, I was in fifth and lining up the 4th place car for an overtake. One of the cars in front spun in T1 and while traffic was attempting to go by the driver decided to get his car pointed in the right direction in traffic. The car in front of me was hit and I, taking the inside grass to get by, was in turn struck.
Last night I was hit from behind by a driver who was too impatient to try to make a pass anywhere on the track where there was more than just one line.
No fault penalties really do not reflect just who is driving bad and who is not, they just penalize everyone who was involved.
For us mid-pack drivers we often get penalized for the lack of driving skills by others whether they be "better" than us or not.

agree, but in the long run it evens out and I for one definitely feel the iRating reflects my abilities, i.e. just below medium.

back on topic: I am really curious whether they will sell the AI as a sort of standalone game and how it will be incorporated into the service. Will it be used more to attract new customers (and why should they pay for the service if they only race offline?) or more to keep current customers happy?

agree, but in the long run it evens out and I for one definitely feel the iRating reflects my abilities, i.e. just below medium.

back on topic: I am really curious whether they will sell the AI as a sort of standalone game and how it will be incorporated into the service. Will it be used more to attract new customers (and why should they pay for the service if they only race offline?) or more to keep current customers happy?
If there is enough splits for a race, otherwise i end up driving in no mans land midpack 70% of the race, in front of the wreckers and "one lap wonders" that keep losing the car every 2nd lap.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back