Illegal mods, steer clear of them. Simracing604, we stand with you too.

Whilst the outcome appears like it could be positive right now (assuming they will now do what they have stated to Mike) these scammers have been around a long time and I can assure you they have not had any life altering spiritual awakening. The only regrets these idiots have is putting themselves in deep **** and they are now scrambling to minimise the damage. They, and people like them, should continue to be watched and called to account at every possible turn. Absolutely no place for people like this in our community.

Big thanks to Big Mike and everyone else who joined the posse.

The community will probably stiil need to be on alert though. Thieves will be thieving.

Last edited:
Once again can I ask for restraint until we get an update that the issue is resolved.
On a side note, it was good to see our niche community coming together as one for a real cause. Maybe before firing off a "my sims better than yours", or "I hate this game and I'm in your thread to let you know it", type post we can remember we are one community with different likes, dislikes, favourites, opinions and show the tolerance that keeps a community whole.

I work at the big G and I escalated this case internally early yesterday morning. I received a response yesterday evening (around the same time as the update from Mike quoted in post #365 in this thread) that essentially says the following:
  • Mike is "on the right track" by filing counter notifications.
  • The claimant (i.e. Sim Dream), by US copyright law, has 10 business days to reply to the counter notifications, and must present evidence of having taken legal action to take the content down elsewhere.
  • "YouTube does not mediate on copyright issues" -- it goes straight to the lawyers, regardless of the apparent (il)legitimacy of the copyright complaint.
I would wager that Sim Dream chose to retaliate against Mike in this way specifically because they knew that copyright disputes require a (highly-paid, human) lawyer to intervene, and that US copyright law requires YT to take down the content immediately in the meantime.

I don't have a ton of visibility into the process, but from the inside it does appear that this should all come out right, it'll just take time.

Is Liberty Media aware that they are selling F1 cars? Did Assettocorsamods dot org obtain the F1 license from Codemasters at some point?

It's one thing to offer a free skin, quite another to charge money for a current F1 car.

Last edited:
they will be quiet for some time, maybe removing some mods from their shop, then change web domain and restart as if nothing happened. I'm ready to bet.
anyway, super happy for Mike :)

Just to be clear with my reaction: I am sad this is not ultimately over and that his group will continue with a lesson learned, but I am glad for SimRacing604 as well.

Best wishes :)

Last edited:
No doubt the plan is to lay low until this blows over and then creep back in... but awareness is very high now. It may not be that simple. (Then again people so often have goldfish memories online, maybe it will be.)

The encouraging detail to me is that SDD has reached out to Mike and is working with YT to rescind the strikes. They had been operating as if there was no risk of consequences for any of their actions, whether in sims or in public, and at the very least it seems like they no longer have that belief. That's... something.

Hopefully.

We don't know hwo things will turn out but imagine if they actually do sort themselves out. Imagine we get another RSS or VRC etc, that would be awesome.

I'm not sure why everyone seems so happy. They've broken the law, they abused the system, almost destroyed Mike's channel...but I guess it's all right now, since notoriously shitty and scammy people promised they will now do better, cross my heart!

I'm happy for Mike, but the rest of it...not so much.

I've done my part. Downvoted literally every single videos, and flagged their channel.
Congratulations. You have now become part of the problem you're trying to fight against. Well done.

This whole drama is a textbook example of violating the principle of Freedom of Speech.
It has absolutely nothing to do with freedom of speech. It's just that a staggering amount of people don't understand what freedom of speech actually is, and somehow think it applies to any situation when someone is saying something publicly.
Freedom of speech has nothing to do with someone putting a DMCA claim on your video on YouTube. It's someone abusing the copyright system to get revenge on you. (Even getting banned on YouTube or Facebook or Twitch or whatever other platform for whatever reason has nothing to do with freedom of speech, as freedom of speech doesn't apply to YouTube, it's a privately run platform.)

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 171 66.5%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 112 43.6%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 119 46.3%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 44 17.1%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 70 27.2%
Back