I got my FPS back!

Short story: ACC used to run crappy on my senior PC, now it doesn't. I'm not gonna explain a thing because it's all well written here in plain english: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Performance/Scalability/ScalabilityReference/index.html

You need to see hidden folders for this path:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

Copy and paste this in the very bottom, thanks for the beer.

[ConsoleVariables] r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=1 r.DistanceFieldAO=0 r.HZBOcclusion=0 r.LensFlareQuality=0 r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0 r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0 r.SSR=0 r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24 r.DetailMode=0 r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=1 r.AllowLandscapeShadows=0 r.DistanceFieldShadowing=0

1 lap at MISANO, SUNSET
COMPARISON.png

Cattura.PNG

DEFAULT: Avg: 56.9 - Min: 43 - Max: 70
MODDED: Avg: 62.3 - Min: 46 - Max: 78

FPS Diff.: Avg: +5.4 - Min: +3 - Max: +8

Thanks @2stains for the AO suggestion.

Last edited:
I'd recommend to disable automatic updates for drivers.
If they work, they will continue to work.
There's only need for a new driver if there's a feature you want (like the scheduling for example) or if the game you're playing isn't working well and a driver update might fix that.

But improved gaming performance very rarely happens with Nvidia cards. And mostly only for the big games anyway.

ACC was mentioned in a new driver in 2018 or 2019. Since then there's nothing to update for :)

Rasmus, quick question - what program are you running that provides the CPU/GPU information I can see in your screenshots?

I'm having the occasional stutter and it would be nice to see real time resource usage :)

Cheers!

Rasmus, quick question - what program are you running that provides the CPU/GPU information I can see in your screenshots?

I'm having the occasional stutter and it would be nice to see real time resource usage :)

Cheers!
That's msi afterburner + Rtss (Riva tuner statistics server).
I use the latest non-beta version from guru3D.

Afterburner and rtss are standalone programs that have some kind of symbiosis. When you download afterburner from guru3D, the rtss installer will ask to install too.

It's a bit complicated at first.
You need to go into the monitoring tab of afterburner and then select a column like "gpu usage" ans then look for "show in on screen display" or something like that at the bottom menu.

You can nicely sort and align everything.
For the frame time line where you can spit spikes extremely easily:
Show frame time to be displayed in osd (on screen display) and then switch "type" to "graph".

If you can't get it to work, I can simply send you my full config and you'll have mine :)

That's msi afterburner + Rtss (Riva tuner statistics server).
I use the latest non-beta version from guru3D.

Afterburner and rtss are standalone programs that have some kind of symbiosis. When you download afterburner from guru3D, the rtss installer will ask to install too.

It's a bit complicated at first.
You need to go into the monitoring tab of afterburner and then select a column like "gpu usage" ans then look for "show in on screen display" or something like that at the bottom menu.

You can nicely sort and align everything.
For the frame time line where you can spit spikes extremely easily:
Show frame time to be displayed in osd (on screen display) and then switch "type" to "graph".

If you can't get it to work, I can simply send you my full config and you'll have mine :)

Thanks! I already had Afterburner installed (like everyone else here!) but I didn't have the RTSS setup.

I got it setup, and found that my CPU is running HOT!! So it's now running caseless and with an extra fun directed onto it....I guess I should find the root cause at some stage ;)

Since then I haven't had any stuttering, so it definetly help - I can see that the GPU is running at more or less 100% but that just seems to result in the occasional dip in framerate...no stutters.

Thanks! I already had Afterburner installed (like everyone else here!) but I didn't have the RTSS setup.

I got it setup, and found that my CPU is running HOT!! So it's now running caseless and with an extra fun directed onto it....I guess I should find the root cause at some stage ;)

Since then I haven't had any stuttering, so it definetly help - I can see that the GPU is running at more or less 100% but that just seems to result in the occasional dip in framerate...no stutters.
GPU load to 100% mostly results in "smooth" dips in fps. CPU load spikes are way worse, the fps take a fast and massive drop.

About CPU running hot: What do you mean by "hot"?
I know a lot of people who still think the CPU should run below 70°c. While the cpu for sure likes to run below these 70°c, modern CPUs can really take some temperature!
Laptops basically run into the higher 80's, then ramp up the cooler/fans to 100% and then throttle the CPU so it will stay at around 90°c.
They are built for this.
Maybe a CPU will need a bit more voltage after 2-4 years running at the highest possible overclock but I don't really care if my Intel i5 will last 7 years or 20 years, if I'd need to run an open case or buy expensive coolers.

Anyway, so what temperatures are we talking about?

My 10600k mostly stay at around 70°c but will spike under full load to about 87°c.
It will keep the highest boost up until 95°c (tested by slowing down the fans) but will never shut off. Just go down to 800 MHz before cooking hehe.

So my opinion:
keep your modern CPUs (2013 and later) below 75°c AVERAGE and below 90°c peak and it will last a loooong time!
To get the average, I'd recommend hwinfo64 and set the refresh cycle to 5-10 seconds to keep the CPU load below 1% :)

I have a 9900k and it runs around 65
°c whilst playing ACC. This seem pretty good to me. I am using a Corsair H150i AIO. The CPU sits at 39
°c at idle (I have all cores locked to 5Ghz all the time).

It will go all the way up to 95
°c if I put it through a stress test like Cinebench but I only bother with that kind of testing when I have reliability issues and I am trying to diagnose.

I have a 9900k and it runs around 65
°c whilst playing ACC. This seem pretty good to me. I am using a Corsair H150i AIO. The CPU sits at 39
°c at idle (I have all cores locked to 5Ghz all the time).

It will go all the way up to 95
°c if I put it through a stress test like Cinebench but I only bother with that kind of testing when I have reliability issues and I am trying to diagnose.
You could try to set thr power limit manually in the bios.
I have my 10600k limited to 100w so if you really put load on all cores, it will clock down and keep the temperature below 90°c.
Simracing titles barely use more than 70w but you'll gain a lot when pushing the clock speeds.
Even assassin's creed odyssey or the latest tomb raider don't cause throttling.
Only cinebench or rendering videos will.

So if I could, I'd put it to 5.3 GHz and keep the power limit at 100w.

Interesting, I've always thought I should put power limit on max to make sure CPU gets all the power it needs.

When I get time I will play around with power limit and see what it can do.

I have had it run at 5.1Ghz all cores but thought it wasn't worth it really. Wouldn't have thought much gain for me after 5Ghz. I only have an RX580 8Gb which is already thrashed within an inch of it's life due to the CPU pushing it all the time. Basically my GPU just runs at 100% all the time which gives me a slightly unstable frame time at 60Hz. I generally get about 20ms frame time that jumps around a bit when I should be getting a flatline smooth 16.6ms.

I'm hoping when I upgrade my CPU the frame time will stabilise.

Don't get me wrong, even with my frame time instability, I'm getting a solid 60fps average and pretty smooth gameplay. I do see the frame rate tank a bit when the sunrises or sets. I guess it's all the fancy lighting calculations it has to make to make it look pretty.

GPU load to 100% mostly results in "smooth" dips in fps. CPU load spikes are way worse, the fps take a fast and massive drop.

About CPU running hot: What do you mean by "hot"?
I know a lot of people who still think the CPU should run below 70°c. While the cpu for sure likes to run below these 70°c, modern CPUs can really take some temperature!
Laptops basically run into the higher 80's, then ramp up the cooler/fans to 100% and then throttle the CPU so it will stay at around 90°c.
They are built for this.
Maybe a CPU will need a bit more voltage after 2-4 years running at the highest possible overclock but I don't really care if my Intel i5 will last 7 years or 20 years, if I'd need to run an open case or buy expensive coolers.

Anyway, so what temperatures are we talking about?

My 10600k mostly stay at around 70°c but will spike under full load to about 87°c.
It will keep the highest boost up until 95°c (tested by slowing down the fans) but will never shut off. Just go down to 800 MHz before cooking hehe.

So my opinion:
keep your modern CPUs (2013 and later) below 75°c AVERAGE and below 90°c peak and it will last a loooong time!
To get the average, I'd recommend hwinfo64 and set the refresh cycle to 5-10 seconds to keep the CPU load below 1% :)

It was getting up over 90°c - I think 95°c was the highest I saw. Now it's in the mid 80's when running ACC max'ed out.

The actual CPU utilisation is not very high 30-40% (AMD 3600), so I need to look into the installation & cooling - this is the first PC I've built in many years so maybe the thermal paste needs reapplying?

I'll get hwinfo64 installed.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge, it's very appreciated :)

You can go into MSI afterburner, settings (cog) and then "FAN" and set a better curve. Make the fan(s) of the GPU to run faster (if they arent already). You can also depending on BIOS on your PC go into the settings for CPU and case fans and make a fan duty curve for them. My PC with 9 fans in total (all large and quiet Noctua) spin up as it gets hotter in the case, CPU and GPU. When a game is really demanding my room transforms into a wind tunnel. :D

- How can i turn off reflections? Ive turned off shadows with r.ShadowQuality=0

I want max stability on my i7 3770 running in VR at 30fps converted to 60fps with steamVR motion smoothing (interpolation)
Windows mixed reality headset @ 60hz

- And also how to reduce car and track textures resolution to lowest?

- And how to also disable the wierd ghosty blurr effect from the cars. its completely useless to me lol (pic attached) Edit: the ghost effect is caused by temporal AA

Attachments

• ghosting effect.png
    ghosting effect.png
    789.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I've been testing Engine.ini files today taking screenshots and driving laps comparing FPS in clear weather and found this file to run highest FPS while adding AO that isn't there with the default Engine file and my current settings !!
ATM i have 5 different Engine.ini files renamed and swapping between them to find this to be best imo ;)
and this is my current "final" settings for 1080p triples on 1080Ti/7700k ;)

Attachments

• Engine.ini
    1.8 KB · Views: 345
  • Final 22nd NovemberGraphics.json
    983 bytes · Views: 337

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements